The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-31-2006, 10:29 AM

Default Archtop wood advise (building questions)

I've purchased and read through Bob Benedetto's book on making an archtop guitar... and am about to embark on the long journey of creating an archtop.... First step (as I won't get around to actually building the instrument for about 6 months) is to acquire wood and allow it proper time to acclimate to my room.

First off..... Should I buy Kiln dried wood?... I don't really want to wait 5-20 years for the wood to dry out...

secondly... where do I buy instrument grade wood?

thirdly... Alot of these places online offer planing and jointing.... um... what exactly are they offering?

fourthly... because I can't actually pick up the wood and "tap tune" it... what questions should I be asking about the wood?

I'm actually looking to build a few all Mahogany or Korina archtops... 1, because I love the wood.... and 2.. because I imagine it to be a little cheaper to work with than flame maple...

me
Old 08-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Me

There are some good forums for building. These question would probably be better asked at one of those. I like this one. They have a list of suppliers/sponsors listed at the top of the page.

This forum is s good on also.

I suggest that you do a search of the forum archives before posting your question. You'll learn a lot along the way, and I'm sure your question have been asked and answered many times over.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops