The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-16-2019, 06:04 PM

Default GOAT, singular?

Basketball, the center position for example. Five centers up for consideration: Wilt, Kareem A.J., Shaq, Tim Duncan, and Hakeem Olajuwon.

After selecting one of them for your fantasy team, would you suffer doubt over your choice or be ok with it?
Old 01-16-2019, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Well, considering the position in the context of a team sport, Bill Russell would be in my top 2.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:41 PM

At that level, would you be just as happy with one as the other? Who's the other?
Old 01-16-2019, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
At that level, would you be just as happy with one as the other? Who's the other?
Kareem is my other favorite. The team surrounding the Center would determine who I’d prefer. But I’d take either.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:44 PM

I thought Duncan was considered to be a power forward.

I’m shocked that Bill Russell isn’t on the list.

Kareem is my pick.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Bill Russell, Wilt and Kareem are 1,2 and 3. Who I would pick depends on the surrounding cast. If I have 2 or 3 other dependable scorers then it's Bill. But his game really doesn't translate to the current style at all.

Bill Walton was the best college center I ever saw.

Is there any such thing as a center these days? I was a basketball addict for a long time, but I no longer follow the NBA, and the college game has lost much of its luster for me, too.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:45 PM

No wes unseld?[emoji3]
Old 01-16-2019, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Default Walton

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Bill Russell, Wilt and Kareem are 1,2 and 3. Who I would pick depends on the surrounding cast. If I have 2 or 3 other dependable scorers then it's Bill. But his game really doesn't translate to the current style at all.

Is there any such thing as a center these days? I was a basketball addict for a long time, but I no longer follow the NBA, and the college game has lost much of its luster for me, too.
I’m picking Russell for NBA.

But Walton for NCAA. He was incredible. The semi final game UCLA lost to NCSU was the greatest college game I ever saw.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 01-16-2019, 10:08 PM

Unseld, tough, playing on bad knees. Lew Alcindor, early 70s with the Bucks, my first bandwagon team, once had me clueless as to his identity when he grabbed a defensive rebound, then wove through two defenders to dribble the length of the court with a forward's speed and agility. It wasn't possible that it was him, even though it was.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post

I’d go with that top three as well, in no particular order. If Walton’s knees has held up, he’d be right there with em even as a pro. I loved Unseld, but he was more of a scrapper and not near as good as the top three. Best outlet pass ever though!

I’m lucky enough to see Joel Embid play a lot. He’s young and still learning the game (he didn’t start playing until he was something like 18) but he’s the most exciting post player I’ve seen in a number of years, dominating in a game that’s not a center-dominated game anymore. If his body holds up and he has a long career, he might have a chance to join that elite group... Way too early to say, but on hisbest nights, he’s really something to see...
Old 01-17-2019, 09:22 AM

Embiid is the one positive reason why anyone outside of Philadelphia would notice the Sixers (legendary ineptitude). But then I never thought the Eagles would win a championship while under Lurie's ownership, so...
Old 01-17-2019, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
Embiid is the one positive reason why anyone outside of Philadelphia would notice the Sixers (legendary ineptitude). But then I never thought the Eagles would win a championship while under Lurie's ownership, so...
I'd say Simmons could be as well. His lack of ANY shooting ability is obviously gonna hold him back as a defender can play off him, but if he can develop even a decent 20 foot jumper, he could be one of the best players in the league. It seems like with a little coaching he should be able to get there. I've seen him take the occasional shot that makes me think he could get there. I've also seen him clank enough free throws to have my doubts...

-Ray
Old 01-17-2019, 01:11 PM

Tim Duncan by a mile. 6th leading NBA scorer of all time. Also a great person. Lots of philanthropic activities around San Antonio.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 01-17-2019, 03:39 PM

Duncan was one dimensional in one regard - his expression never changed, even when he was pissed off. Impassive Kareem could be a little more expressive. When the Sixers won the title, Kareem had the ball and was going to back Moses Malone in, but Malone faked a foul by suddenly reeling backwards, as if he had been bumped hard, when in fact Kareem hadn't even touched him. A foul was called, and Kareem ran back down the court with his hands in the air, shouting in disgust. I dug the Sixers, but that was tawdry.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:35 PM

Kareem, Wilt and Bill .. I remember watching them all as a youth. I saw Big Lew nearly beat Big E and the Cougars in the Astrodome, Alcindor playing with one eye. Bill Russel and Wilt changed the game, IMO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic