The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-30-2022, 07:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
I enjoy following the McKnight builds…. you folks, (Mary), really know how to document the entire process. This is going to be another spectacular guitar from the McKnight team!
Good morning Godfather and thanks for following along. Mary has been a huge help to me in our shop documenting the build process for our customers and I would be lost without her help. She is such a blessing in more ways than I can count.

Teri has come up with some interesting ideas for her build and we always enjoy fulfilling our clients wishes as best we can. It has been a fun project and we have a few more surprises to come.

BTW, I looked up the translation of your signature line and couldn't agree more. Thats awesome!
Old 10-31-2022, 09:08 AM

Default Groovy!

I am excited to see the progress. The sooner I get my hands on that baby, the better…I stopped at a small strip mall in Huntington Beach, CA to pick up batteries and heard a ukulele band. I forgot all about the batteries and followed the music (don’t laugh, you have all done this). The Island Bazaar Ukulele shop was having a Halloween party/play along with probably 40 people playing ukes! I was so jealous to have missed the party that I bought an Ohana CK-75CG Limited edition concert uke. Tim, you’ve got to work faster, dude. It was “separation anxiety” that drove me to this most recent purchase. See, I’ve been missing “my angel”. At least, that is what I will tell my husband. You can never have too many strings, right? Lol

‘22 McKnight, Deacon, Pau Rosa/1950 Vintage Redwood
‘18 McKnight, Skeeter, Honduran Mahogany/Adirondak Red Spruce
‘92 Washburn, D-1312N, Spruce/Mahogany, 12-string
‘20 KoAloha, Tenor, Silver Anniversary, Hawaiian Koa Uke
‘10 Ohana, CK-75CG Ltd. Ed. Uke, Flamed Maple/Spruce
‘06 Kala Soprano, Ziricote Uke

“Music is well said to be the speech of angels”
Thomas Carlyle
Old 10-31-2022, 01:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

The past day or so Tim has been working on braces, binding and all the secret things we tend to do to guitars when nobody is around. Teri sent me a message today that she is excited this guitar is almost complete. Those of us who know the time and details Tim puts into his work know this will be a longer process. Some parts of the build I can't get pictures as it is being built because my hands are in the work with his. For now, let's check out where we are in the process and I will document the details that might need mentioned.

This is the box. The top bracing is now complete and the sides, back and top are married to become a completed box.

Here are the strips that will become binding. Tim cut them individually, spritzed them with the regular H2O and got the side benders to create the shape for "My Angel."

The perfling strips take more time than they look like they should. This is tedius work. Pernambuco and ebony strips were cut, set aside, glued and clamped.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.

Last edited by Mary; 10-31-2022 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-31-2022, 01:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

The Perfling strips sat in the clamps over night. I'd be happy to show that to you but we think four hands make for less stressful work. Though it is difficult to see Tim is gluing that skinny little black stripe onto the Pernambuco strip.

The clamps add a little color to the shop.

Hand planer is used for this but Tim slides them under the Grizzly for an extra clean pass.

Tim approached the router table to glide the accurate router over the top of the box. He applies a brush stroke of finish to avoid the top from chipping or splitting.

And finally Tim grooved the end wedge area and basically completed the end wedge.

The two black strips are set in the groove and the Pernambuco is wedged in between. The purpose of the end wedge is to help marry the two sets of side in a professional manner. When the side binding in glued on it is every luthiers desire to see each minute black stripe meet as if they were made for each other. And, yes, they were made to meet so the end wedge will be soft on the eyes.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

[email protected]
Old 10-31-2022, 02:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I enjoy following the McKnight builds…. you folks, (Mary), really know how to document the entire process. This is going to be another spectacular guitar from the McKnight team!
Thank you! That was very nice of you to say. Sometimes the customers need a little guidance on the pictures. I take strange shots at odd angles and I can admit sometimes I look at a picture and wonder why I took it. it makes no sense to the newbies so I try to be careful to remember that not everyone knows our lingo or sees outside of the box like I do.

We (I) created a shortcut and call McKnight guitars McGits. I've had people ask if this word is a new sandwich from a chain restaurant.

I'm not sure I am documenting the McGits in a manner that makes sense to the newbies, but the "big boys" will text me a minor correction if they deem it necessary.

Tim and I are blessed with a top notch group of McJammers / McKnight Guitar family who visit our shop on a certain weekend annually and they watch the McKnight Guitar threads carefully. When I have a need they will educate me as equipment is running here in the shop and I have to ask a question. It is probably more my fault than Tim's that we had a few scratch and dent guitars early on. I don't mean to sneak up on Tim as he is working but if I come around a corner and he catches a glimpse of me from the side I grit my teeth. I've learned not to bug the man when he has a high dollar top on the bench and he chisel in his hand creating top braces. Let's just say I curled my nose said, "Oops!"

Godfather - again, thank you. If there is a mistake made on "My Angel" I will document that and the world of the internet will learn the McKnight duo are humans who make errors.

By the way, thank you to the McJam Clan. We love our faithful attendees!

[email protected]
Old 10-31-2022, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Default I remember the excitement all too well ...

So fun scrolling through these build pics, and I find myself recalling all the excitement and and anticipation of waiting on my build to be done back in 2006 / '07. My McNaught is currently back in Tim's shop getting refretted and having a good once over and ironically I'm starting to feel that same excitement to get it back that I felt when the build was being done. True to form, Tim and Mary have sent me some progress pics - a great way to build anticipation. Perhaps Mary can post some pics of mine back in the shop (as I'm technically challenged ;-)) but regardless it's great to know that once a member of the McKnight guitar family - always a member. These are simply 2 great people building wonderful guitars.

~ Ray ~
Martin '22 0000-18 Gruhn Sinker
Pre-War ‘23 OM Adi/Granadillo
Old 11-01-2022, 04:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by safricanplayer View Post
So fun scrolling through these build pics, and I find myself recalling all the excitement and and anticipation of waiting on my build to be done back in 2006 / '07. My McNaught is currently back in Tim's shop getting refretted and having a good once over and ironically I'm starting to feel that same excitement to get it back that I felt when the build was being done. True to form, Tim and Mary have sent me some progress pics - a great way to build anticipation. Perhaps Mary can post some pics of mine back in the shop (as I'm technically challenged ;-)) but regardless it's great to know that once a member of the McKnight guitar family - always a member. These are simply 2 great people building wonderful guitars.

~ Ray ~
Hi Ray,
Thanks for the kind words. Your guitar is done and patiently waiting a ship to date. While we had it I updated your bridge pin bottoms by adding a bevel to each one.

Old 11-01-2022, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
Thank you! That was very nice of you to say. Sometimes the customers need a little guidance on the pictures. I take strange shots at odd angles and I can admit sometimes I look at a picture and wonder why I took it. it makes no sense to the newbies so I try to be careful to remember that not everyone knows our lingo or sees outside of the box like I do.

We (I) created a shortcut and call McKnight guitars McGits. I've had people ask if this word is a new sandwich from a chain restaurant.

I'm not sure I am documenting the McGits in a manner that makes sense to the newbies, but the "big boys" will text me a minor correction if they deem it necessary.

Tim and I are blessed with a top notch group of McJammers / McKnight Guitar family who visit our shop on a certain weekend annually and they watch the McKnight Guitar threads carefully. When I have a need they will educate me as equipment is running here in the shop and I have to ask a question. It is probably more my fault than Tim's that we had a few scratch and dent guitars early on. I don't mean to sneak up on Tim as he is working but if I come around a corner and he catches a glimpse of me from the side I grit my teeth. I've learned not to bug the man when he has a high dollar top on the bench and he chisel in his hand creating top braces. Let's just say I curled my nose said, "Oops!"

Godfather - again, thank you. If there is a mistake made on "My Angel" I will document that and the world of the internet will learn the McKnight duo are humans who make errors.

By the way, thank you to the McJam Clan. We love our faithful attendees!

Thank you Mary and Tim for the replies to my post.
I know how busy you both are and your taking the time to write detailed replies shows your true character.

I will continue to follow your build threads knowing one day I will own a “McGit”.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin

Last edited by Godfather; 11-02-2022 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-02-2022, 01:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I will continue to follow your build threads knowing one day I will own a “McGit”.
Whoa ... (whispering in my raspiest low voice) "the Godfather" will become a McGit owner. Yet, my Maryism happy voice screeches - "Kewl!" For now I am at work for Teri's My Angel. It's fun to share the creating of a new guitar with someone who has never watched this process. At first there are parts and pieces, but soon the puzzle is connected and it is playable art. This is a great job. We are thankful for all of you who join us in the fun.

The binding and perfling are ready to cut to length, put scraps in the Guitar in a bag and take a deep breath.

The Binding groove is created at the router table. A little insider information: At one time he said he will never use this router connecting to this table again. He tried a few other routers and tried different processes but to no avail. This one is the chosen favorite after all the trial and errors. More error than he cares to discuss. Arrows aren't for your education. It is for written for Tim's occasional lack of memory bank.

Remember I told you in it a luthier's desire to make sure the single black strips meet to look like it's one clean single outline. For builders who are reading they will assure you it doesn't happen without a bit to finagling. There are breaks to make sure this corner fits that one. The chisel, hand sanding and the sanding belts assist. Sometimes, not always but sometimes the skin on the fingers becomes part of the guitar build. F Y I: In this case, there is no extra charge for your luthiers donation of DNA. I can say that because it wasn't my DNA.

This shows the binding a little better. It's time to pull out the glue bottle and it is time to get the tape ready.

[email protected]

Last edited by Mary; 11-04-2022 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-02-2022, 02:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Ok - here we go. Clue, speed, tape, sweat, clean. My hands are to have the camera accessible but not in the way. Tape needs to be cut to the proper length and within his hands access without him needing to look up. This is where 4 hands are better than 2 and a meeting of the minds are in order. As I hold the binding in place he has easy access to the tape on my finger. I manage to pick up the pace to grab a few action shots so Teri can see the Angel guitar is getting our "two on one" attention.

No matter how close he hopes to get to the end and hopes to see the black outline match he never cuts exactly to the correct length in advance. He doesn't want to get there and discover he has undercut. At the end mid point of the end wedge Tim does a little hand cutting and using the sanding belt to let those two ends barely kiss each other.

Binding is taped but we don't fiddle around at this point (we can't play fiddles anyhow) allowing glue to dry. Right away the tape is joined with braces and clamps. Once clamps were on the guitar went to lunch. After lunch we were back in the shop to repeat the process to the guitar's top. When a newbie sees her guitar under all the tape and the box looks complete yet it looks like it was in the emergency room all beat up and needing love. What's fun for us is that we know Teri (My Angel) already loves her McGit. So many memories in her ivory make this special to her entire family.

[email protected]
Old 11-02-2022, 02:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

The Angel guitar had to rest in the humidity controlled room a day while Ray's guitar had its neck cleaned and frets replaced. I spoke softly to the Angel and promised it was still number one for us during this time frame but sometimes guitars have to share a little space when another guitar comes over to visit the "original Mom and Pop." The two guitars are on a friendly basis. I definitely hope to hear them play together at the McKnight woodshop in 2023 during the McJam!

Maybe one of our favorite Beatles will share the song "While my guitar gently weeps."

[email protected]
Old 11-04-2022, 09:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Once Tim removes the tape he can see how well the binding came out. No splinters or gouges can be made so he works rather gingerly to protect the top where he has put the tape down tight.

Scraping the excess glue and then again using the hand planer clears the excess edges. His choice of routers softens the edges.

The hack saw meets the box. This is kind of a funny "butterfly" feeling for me. It doesn't sound like fun having a newbie see the hack saw in the hands when the box silently sits. I often take a deep breath before watch it happen. It's nice to be watching a trusted luthier!

The neck placement is about to be zeroed in on. Are you ready to be convinced the guitar is almost completed? (Yikes ... don't be. It's not.) There are so many more steps to completing a guitar. It will look like we are almost to the end, but we are only about 1/3 of the way to the end. Being the luthier's wife I can say this is more like a (wood) doctor who is doing surgery. There are parts, pieces, rest time, cuts, glue, rest time, neck, fitting, rest time, neck width and length still need lots of his mental and hand sanding detailed attention.

It's not meant to fool anyone when you pictures are posted. It's proof there are many more minor details to see and as this thread goes on I will share the time consuming methods all luthiers do behind the scenes.

This is additional information:
I was asked why it takes so long to make a guitar when it looks like there are so many unnecessary details? I, too, long ago thought a guitar looks like a quick puzzle of a box, a neck, strings and spray. It should click-click, be done in in a jiff. That's the dream, but that ain't real. I was a tree surgeons daughter. I won't hesitate to tell you my dad came home more than once to say, "Wood can be very unruly." Dad worked with trees. As a child who tagged along and sometimes helped, at least in my opinion, I was fascinated by the colors, the smell and designs in those trees. Now, as an adult, Tim and I are just as impressed with the woods, designs and the fragrances.

But, wood is wood and it can still be unruly.

I won't give a lesson on woods as that is not my place, but this luthier keeps his woods in his humidity controlled room. In doing that a Pernambuco tree and Pau Rosa tree from Brazil, a Redwood tree from the USA, a Mahogany tree from Honduras and the Ebony tree from Africa all spent years together in Morral, Ohio at the McKnight Guitar wood shop to talk together behind the scenes. I can almost hear the conversation. It might be like wood Olympics where every piece of wood wants to be a part of a home and not just sitting in the wood room. The woods from different countries eye each other.

Pernambuco and Pau Rosa wood, "We should get together to make a guitar. I betcha we could make beautiful music. Who in this room wants to join us?"
Redwood, "I will be happy to! I need someone with a tender touch."
Ebony bindng, "I want on this guitar!"
Mahogany neck, "I can help"
Japanese Gotoh 510 tuners, "I'll be sure you sound good."

While these woods are in the corner talking about all this behind our backs the only thing missing is someone who can decide that's the combination he or she wants. In this case My Angel came here and hand picked those woods adding a personal preference to inlay her grandpa's piano keys to the rosette and fretboard. As you can see I make the woods, the guitars and the McKnight guitar family part of my personal world. Tim learned I am just as bad when the spec guitars are under my watch.

Guitars become personal because woods are personal. Woods speak to me.

[email protected]
Old 11-05-2022, 09:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Time to make the neck look like a neck. Key word - it only "looks like" it at this time. The fit take a little time. Sand paper strips are taped to the guitar. Tim glides the neck across the box until the fit is perfect.

Tracing the desired shape of the peg head and lower end of the neck.

This is called the heel cap. It is a small decorative piece that has a purpose to complete the look of security of the neck base. It is created in rough form so the sander can make it fit as closely as possible.

The binding was cut a while back. Now is when the binding is glued and clamped to the fretboard.

[email protected]
Old 11-05-2022, 09:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

When the fretboard is removed from the clamps Tim hand planes the binding to smooth it to the right height.

The fretboard (taped for protection) Is glued to the neck. It's this luthier's desire to never let his guitars need a neck reset. He is like Santa Claus. He makes the list and checks it twice.

In our shop we do tend to eat lunch at the bench. We eat alike, yet not. Our favorite Amish market is under 10 miles from our shop. Want to see how lunch is fixed for an opposites attract type couple?

His) Swiss cheese - Her) Butter Cream cheese
His) apples with no peels - Her) apples have peels
His) peanuts - Her) almonds
His) Pumpkin treat extra icing - Her) pumpkin treat without icing
We do agree on how to eat the grapes but he does prefer his skinless.
Crackers with PB - he prefers Ritz cracker. She likes plain saltines.
His) Cold tea with sugar - Hers) hot tea without sugar.
Hey, it works for us!

[email protected]

Last edited by Mary; 11-05-2022 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:18 AM

Default The Good Sister

I am enjoying the building process. I also like your “chatter” between the woods…lol. I was listening to their conversations on my first visit to the shop. They spoke to me as well. Or should I say, “the angels sang” as Tim tapped on each piece of wood.

Thanks for keeping me up to date on the progress.

‘22 McKnight, Deacon, Pau Rosa/1950 Vintage Redwood
‘18 McKnight, Skeeter, Honduran Mahogany/Adirondak Red Spruce
‘92 Washburn, D-1312N, Spruce/Mahogany, 12-string
‘20 KoAloha, Tenor, Silver Anniversary, Hawaiian Koa Uke
‘10 Ohana, CK-75CG Ltd. Ed. Uke, Flamed Maple/Spruce
‘06 Kala Soprano, Ziricote Uke

“Music is well said to be the speech of angels”
Thomas Carlyle

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop