The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-04-2022, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Strap for X7

I am having a difficult process of finding a strap for my X7 with the LR Baggs Element pickup. There is not much indention to lock the endpin portion of the strap in place. Indention is about the width of a strong piece of string. Any suggestions for a specific strap or strap lock? Sometimes you just need to stand up and play.
Old 12-04-2022, 02:12 PM

I use Tapastring Strap Keeper on all of my straps, including the ones on my X7s. They work well holding the strap onto the end jack.
Barb
Old 12-04-2022, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

I use Levy guitar straps - they are my favorites among the straps I have. I like to leave a strap on each guitar so it is fast and easy to take one off the wall. These straps have a piece of leather that is thick on each end, so I wet the opening lightly, take two nickels (one on either side of the strap button opening), then squeeze 'em overnight with a pair of vice grips. They are then thinner and much easier to put on, without enlarging the hole.

No experience with strap locks.
Old 12-04-2022, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

I use strap locks on most of my guitars. I went over to the D'Addario strap buttons several years ago back when they were still Planet Waves branded. I like the more aggressively angular and deeper slotted recess which seems to hold straps much better than the usual shallow, smooth radius you see with most stock strap buttons that tend to more easily allow the strap to slip off.

I eventually decided to go full strap lock but didn't like the usual ones I found that were heavy, complicated and a chore to install. Then I found the D'Addario system that worked with my preferred (and existing) strap buttons. I was delighted with this system because besides the simple function it was also the easiest system to install (and remove) especially on the thick Levy leather straps I prefer.

To use strap locks on guitars with pickup jack/bottom button combos I use the Acousti-Loc offset strap button system designed to work with jacks. This allows me to use a strap lock at both ends while still plugging in. I do change out the strap button that comes with the Acousti-Loc as the stock one will not work with the D'Addario strap lock system. This requires me to drill out the button a bit to get the screw to fully seat.

Photos

Old 12-04-2022, 06:09 PM

Every one of my guitars has a Hennessy strap lock.
Exceedingly secure, and it cannot come off by accident.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:53 PM

I use a d'Addario CinchFit on my X20 with a Baggs Anthem SL pickup
https://whttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=7139729ww.dad dario.com/products/accessories/strap-accessories/cinchfit/cinchfit-acoustic-jack-lock/

Looks a little funny but works great.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Cone View Post
I almost never use a strap, but I have one of these little cinch-fit things on the end of one of my straps for when I want to use a strap on an acoustic with a jack in the end pin. I initially bought it when I owned an X7, now I have a Sable - same basic end pin. This thing works great. I’m pretty sure it was very inexpensive, but I don’t remember exactly.

-Ray
Old 12-05-2022, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm picking up a D’Addario Acoustic CinchFit today.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber