The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-02-2022, 10:07 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

I don't understand why American rugby is called "football" or why it is played in space suits.
I've often wondered how our football is viewed by people from other countries.

The stadium seemed fairly full though when our Green Bay Packers played the New York Giants over by you.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-03-2022, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrondack View Post
First official Fifa World Cup held 1930 in Uruguay , USA got to the semi finals against Argentina.
Things got a bit rough.
One American lost 4 teeth and part of his lip ripped off.
One American hospitalised with a stomach injury.
One American limping badly with a dislocated knee.
The American manager ran onto the pitch to complain to the referee while holding a bottle of chloroform, dropped it and knocked himself out.
Argentina won 6 goals to 1.
Typical outcome of an amateur football game in the west of Scotland in the early 1970s. The only thing missing was breaking up the ice on the pitch with your studs to get the game started on a lovely 'fresh' January Sunday morning.

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 12-03-2022, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

This should settle it.

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-04-2022, 04:05 AM

Whilst the term "soccer" is occasionally used in the UK, "football" is much more common. I suspect this has something to do with the fact that the ball is controlled and propelled by the feet.

It appears to be a fairly simple game but it takes years of training to fall theatrically on the pitch, feigning agony in order to get a free kick or penalty.
Old 12-04-2022, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm not a big ball game fan, but in my nearly 3/4 of a century of living in the UK, I can't remember ANY English, Welsh, Scottish or Irish person ever using the term "soccer".

I don't understand why American rugby is called "football" or why it is played in space suits.
After spending time in brain injury research in Pittsburgh, I too wonder at the use of hardened helmets and steel-reinforced facemasks. Soft pads reduce decelerations and prevent injury. Hard shells and facemasks only encourage leading with the head, which increases injury to the brain (concussions) and spinal injuries. A hard shell outside of padding serves a useful purpose to protect the padding, not the head, where abrasive forces are at play. ie asphalt and the need for motorcycle helmets. Football (futball, soccer, American rugger) is played on turf. No need for hardened helmets. A famous researcher (see movie “Concussion”) said “take facemasks off, and concussions will almost disappear”
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 12-04-2022, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
They're not space suits!

. . . they're Judge Dredd costumes.
Ah, right! .............. Who/what is a judge dredd?
Old 12-04-2022, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
After spending time in brain injury research in Pittsburgh, I too wonder at the use of hardened helmets and steel-reinforced facemasks. Soft pads reduce decelerations and prevent injury. Hard shells and facemasks only encourage leading with the head, which increases injury to the brain (concussions) and spinal injuries. A hard shell outside of padding serves a useful purpose to protect the padding, not the head, where abrasive forces are at play. ie asphalt and the need for motorcycle helmets. Football (futball, soccer, American rugger) is played on turf. No need for hardened helmets. A famous researcher (see movie “Concussion”) said “take facemasks off, and concussions will almost disappear”
There is much discussion in the UK presently about the possible link between dementia onset in football players who "head" the ball, and Rugby players with all the hard tackles they give and receive. Not a rugby follower, but I have observed some players wearing "soft" helmets like these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_...ive_protection
and
https://www.rugbystore.co.uk/protect...ent/headguards
Old 12-04-2022, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

I know how to resolve this,

NOTE: this is all "TIC" and just for fun! (but I've learnt a whole load of useless knowledge making these lists ... ain't Wikipedia wunnerful?)

These nations play (real) football:

*UEFA (Europe)

Albania
Andorra
Armenia
Austria
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Belgium
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bulgaria
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
England
Estonia
Faroe Islands
Finland
France
Georgia
Germany
Gibraltar
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
Israel
Italy
Kazakhstan
Kosovo
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
Moldova
Montenegro
Netherlands
North Macedonia
Northern Ireland1
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Republic of Ireland
Romania
Russia
San Marino
Scotland
Serbia
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Türkiye
Ukraine
Wales

* CAF (Africa)

Algeria
Angola
Benin
Botswana
Burkina Faso
Burundi
Cameroon
Cape Verde
Central African Republic
Chad
Comoros
Congo
Congo
Côte d'Ivoire
Djibouti
Egypt
Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea
Eswatini
Ethiopia
Gabon
Gambia
Ghana
Guinea
Guinea-Bissau
Kenya
Lesotho
Liberia
Libya
Madagascar
Malawi
Mali
Mauritania
Mauritius
Morocco
Mozambique
Namibia
Niger
Nigeria
Réunion3
Rwanda
São Tomé and Príncipe
Senegal
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Somalia
South Africa
South Sudan
Sudan
Tanzania
Togo
Tunisia
Uganda
Zambia
Zanzibar
Zimbabwe

CONCACAF (North, Central America, and the Caribbean)

Anguilla
Antigua and Barbuda
Aruba
Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Bermuda
Bonaire
British Virgin Islands
Canada
Cayman Islands
Costa Rica
Cuba
Curaçao
Dominica
Dominican Republic
El Salvador
French Guiana1
Grenada
Guadeloupe1
Guatemala
Guyana
Haiti
Honduras
Jamaica
Martinique1
Mexico
Montserrat
Nicaragua
Panama
Puerto Rico
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Martin
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Sint Maarten
Suriname
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos Islands
United States ............................ ?????
US Virgin Islands

CONMEBOL (South America)

Argentina
Bolivia
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Ecuador
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay
Venezuela

OFC (Oceania)

American Samoa
Cook Islands
Fiji
Kiribati
New Caledonia
New Zealand3
Papua New Guinea
Samoa
Solomon Islands
Tahiti
Tonga
Tuvalu
Vanuatu

AFC (Asia)

Afghanistan
Australia
Bahrain
Bangladesh
Bhutan
Brunei Darussalam
Cambodia
China
Chinese Taipei
Guam
Hong Kong
India
Indonesia
IR Iran
Iraq
Japan
Jordan
Korea DPR
Korea Republic
Kuwait
Kyrgyz Republic
Laos
Lebanon
Macau
Malaysia
Maldives
Mongolia
Myanmar
Nepal
Northern Mariana Islands
Oman
Pakistan
Palestine
Philippines
Qatar
Saudi Arabia
Singapore
Sri Lanka
Syria
Tajikistan
Thailand
Timor-Leste
Turkmenistan
United Arab Emirates
Uzbekistan
Vietnam
Yemen

With one or two exceptions, but I believe that all the above play "football" (the real one with the round ball!)

I know that American foot/hand ball is played in various nations out side the USA but how many have a large international league like FIFA ?

Perhaps now we can discuss why in the USA grown men play rounders (usually played by school girls in the UK) but call it baseball.

AND ... how many nations participate in the Baseball "World series" ???

I case my rest!!
NOTE: this is all "TIC" and just for fun! (but I've learnt a whole load of useless knowledge making these lists ... ain't wikipedia wunnerful?
Old 12-04-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Ah, right! .............. Who/what is a judge dredd?
??????????????

Beloved of British children!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/74/d7...afd3978abd.jpg
Old 12-04-2022, 11:23 AM

Default Uh oh, somebody's been watching too many Vinnie Jones movies . . .

Here yez go. Now look, you geezers 'ave made me late for me brekker writin' this lot. Gerroudavit, ye muppets!

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...tie-or-soccer/
Old 12-04-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
??????????????

Beloved of British children!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/74/d7...afd3978abd.jpg
Whoa! 2000AD - that takes me back. Waiting for the weekly issue was a big thing in the late 70s/early 80s.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:02 PM

I am an elementary physical education teacher and long-time soccer coach. One of my favorite units to teach I call "The History of Football".

We start by discussing "mob football" played in Europe in the 14-18th centuries (often between two entire towns, across the countryside, resulting in mayhem, injury and sometimes death, so the violence aspect has been there for a long time). Then we'll play football as it might have been playing in the mid-1800s (there were many local variations) with mostly kicking but some use of hands.

From there, we split into three parts. Part 1 is the evolution of Association Football (turned via slang into assoc-er and eventually soccer, as noted). We go over the rule changes, like no longer allowing any use of hands except the goalkeeper, offside being ahead of the ball to having at last 3 on the other team to 2 opponents like now, and then play each each variation over a couple of weeks until we get to the modern Laws.

Then we do rugby. We go back to where the Rugby Football Union formed because they wanted more of the "carrying" game than the kicking game. Again, we follow the rule changes over the last 150 or so years, and play the different versions.

Finally, American football, and how it split off from the other branches of football in the US and how the rules changed. Originally much like rugby, a fellow at Yale named Walter Camp had a huge impact on changing the rules, like coming up with down-and distance to reset play after a tackle and was on the committee that introduced the forward pass when Teddy Roosevelt threatened to ban the game due to the violence. The kids always want to pass, and I have to tell them, "Sorry, today's rules are from 1893. You'll have to wait another 9 years."

We'll even touch on all the other codes of football: Rugby League, Gaelic football, Aussie rules... there are way more games descended from the same original game than most people realize.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I am an elementary physical education teacher and long-time soccer coach. One of my favorite units to teach I call "The History of Football".

... there are way more games descended from the same original game than most people realize.
I think many of my fellow Americans aren't aware of just how freaking weird England (and I do specifically mean England) can be.

Old 12-05-2022, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post

We start by discussing "mob football" played in Europe in the 14-18th centuries (often between two entire towns, across the countryside, resulting in mayhem, injury and sometimes death, so the violence aspect has been there for a long time). Then we'll play football as it might have been playing in the mid-1800s (there were many local variations) with mostly kicking but some use of hands.

From there, we split into three parts. Part 1 is the evolution of Association Football (turned via slang into assoc-er and eventually soccer, as noted). We go over the rule changes, like no longer allowing any use of hands except the goalkeeper, offside being ahead of the ball to having at last 3 on the other team to 2 opponents like now, and then play each each variation over a couple of weeks until we get to the modern Laws.

Then we do rugby. We go back to where the Rugby Football Union formed because they wanted more of the "carrying" game than the kicking game. Again, we follow the rule changes over the last 150 or so years, and play the different versions.

Finally, American football, and how it split off from the other branches of football in the US and how the rules changed. Originally much like rugby, a fellow at Yale named Walter Camp had a huge impact on changing the rules, like coming up with down-and distance to reset play after a tackle and was on the committee that introduced the forward pass when Teddy Roosevelt threatened to ban the game due to the violence. The kids always want to pass, and I have to tell them, "Sorry, today's rules are from 1893. You'll have to wait another 9 years."

We'll even touch on all the other codes of football: Rugby League, Gaelic football, Aussie rules... there are way more games descended from the same original game than most people realize.
Thanks for that brief synopsis. It educated me, anyway, although NFL is a sport of which I'm almost totally ignorant.

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 12-05-2022, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I think many of my fellow Americans aren't aware of just how freaking weird England (and I do specifically mean England) can be.

Eton is where we get most of our Prime Ministers from!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic