The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-29-2020, 10:44 AM

Default Tobias Rauscher-Fingerstyle Academy

Anyone have any experience with this? Can't really find any reviews. It seems to be a more streamlined, goal oriented approach to learning percussive fingerstyle. Other sites like JamPlay just have all these random workshops which are cool, but there really isn't any 'plan' per say. I guess I'm curious how y'all continued on after becoming proficient in basic fingerstyle skills. For me I've just been trying to learn songs, but of course always running into impossible passages! :-)
Old 07-29-2020, 12:26 PM

I tried watching the intro video and it was horrible. Also it really annoys me when a video hides time and controls. Very spammy approach imo.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
I tried watching the intro video and it was horrible. Also it really annoys me when a video hides time and controls. Very spammy approach imo.
I agree. I wouldn't touch that site. I don't really equate percussive with fingerstyle. Zuma, I don't know what you're trying to learn, but I can find a ton of better sites than that regardless of what style you're searching.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
I couldn't even watch any videos without giving my personal (email) information.

Lots of other better sites to view.

JustinGuitar to start with, many more though.

J
Old 07-29-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I agree. I wouldn't touch that site. I don't really equate percussive with fingerstyle. Zuma, I don't know what you're trying to learn, but I can find a ton of better sites than that regardless of what style you're searching.
Thanks for the responses.

Kerbie, I'd love to hear your recommendations! I agree, the site is very spammy and kind of makes things look much easier than they are.

I'm basically trying to learn melodic fingerstyle. I'm a competent lead and rhythm player, but really would like to play Windham Hill type stuff. I'm also really into the primitive guitar genre too. That all seems to be a more self-taught tradition. I have pulled together a few Fahey songs.

I was on Jamplay a while and I think the content is really good, but it's just so random and definitely geared toward quite advanced players. Lessons is probably the way to go. Work on technique and songs with a teacher.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:33 PM

KDepew right here on the AGF has some informative videos, in my opinion.

J
Old 05-21-2022, 01:16 PM

Somebody must have tried this?

im also looking for a progressive fingerstyle course but the usual sites just have odds and sods and as Zuma says no real plan.
a couple of people mentioned that there are better sites but didnt provide any suggestions. ive looked at all the usual suspects and they offer some fingerstyle in amongst everything else (jamplay, trufire, justinguitar etc etc) but nothing wholistic.
i bought a couple of Steffan Grossman books but a lot of it feels somewhat dated and i cant get excited over 'Crow Jane' and other similar tunes.
i joined the Paul Davids acoustic course and the fingerstyle section is quite nice. there are a couple of fun tunes, in particular some slow blues, but it is quite a bluesy course and the fingerstyle is just part of a wider 'acoustic learning' package.
i bough the Trufire Andy McKee course which i have just started but kinda feel like im jumping in the deep end without any foundations...

Tobias course looks interesting so im interested to know how folks have found it and if the lessons all build on each other.
Old 05-21-2022, 01:50 PM

Sailor - I just started with David Hamburger.s ‘Fretboard Confidential’ site. Once you get used to his speaking style, you’ll hear a lot of meat in each concept. I’ve taken his course over the years and am happy to say that his teaching style has been honed.

The way the site works is that there are basic concepts (and prior lessons) always available. Each month, the groups works on a new song. You start with a framework, gradually add embellishments with extensions, then add vamps and turnarounds. You can take it at whatever level you need to.

As have you, I have taken countless finger style courses over the years. And you know the saying: “when you’re ready, the right teacher will be there,” so this is actually the perfect time for me (at my skill level) to be signed on to his website.

Best,

Rick

PS - many of the latest fingerstyle course that have excited me emphasize the groove and the swing. These components shift you into a different gear from the traditional repertoire.

Last edited by srick; 05-21-2022 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-22-2022, 04:05 AM

thanks Srick. that does look interesting and i like the idea of a new song each month. can you expand on the type of songs? i appreciate its blues based but is it predominantly rags and/or old tunes or more modern?
Old 05-24-2022, 11:32 AM

I really like Paul Davids' "Acoustic Adventure". It's the best resource to improve your acoustic playing.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:41 AM

if anyone is interested...my experience so far;

i signed up for a month with 'Fretboard Confidential'. i really like the learning model of a tune a month with embellishments and exploring alternative turnaround etc to build your repertoire and knowledge at the same time. Personally though im not finding the tunes particularly exciting and im struggling a little to find one i actually want to play. i find the blues tunes in Paul Davids course much more my thing.

i also signed up to Fingerstyle Academy. This site is aimed more at developing technique. there is a fundamentals section that starts from the basics and culminates in playing quite a nice percussive solo piece. after that you progress to the main modules which focus on various techniques. there are also sections on song writing and composition, recording and lap style playing (i cant imagine ill bother with this one). my assumption is that once you have worked through all this it will make learning Tobias' songs much easier. there are video lessons to all his song as well as tab.
i also have access to his 'fingerstyle summit' which was 5 days of generally 60-90 minute sessions with the worlds best fingerstyle guitarists talking about everything you would expect including a lesson section from each person all tabbed out plus the guitar pro file.

my gut feeling at the moment is that i am more likely to continue the subscription with Fingerstyle Academy but who knows, maybe Mr Hamburger will put out a tune i really like next month.

my only criticism so far for Tobias is that cancelling involves emailing support rather than just clicking a button on the website which you can do with Fretboard Confidential but thats not really a deal breaker.

i guess the main takeaway is that learning has never been easier and the options are endless for finding the type of instruction that suits you and the music you want to play.
Old 05-28-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_74 View Post
i guess the main takeaway is that learning has never been easier and the options are endless for finding the type of instruction that suits you and the music you want to play.
Boy, ain’t that the truth. And when you think of how little the overall cost is, it’s amazing.

I agree with you on David’s repertoire being limited, but he’s presenting a lot of tools and riffs to add on to your own stable of songs. He devotes a lot of time to arranging a song. And I too am awaiting this month’s song.

Best,

Rick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write