The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-26-2020, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

I've learned several different styles of music or at least looked into them to a degree and one is no better for learning than another IMO. You have to get to a point of understanding in any style to know anything. I'd suggest doing a deep dive into the style of music that is your passion.

I find it humorous when somebody undermine a style of guitar playing. All it does is show their limitations.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-27-2020, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
Not to diminish Flat Picking, but that's just playing individual strings on a simple Cowboy Chord...
I avoided it for decades, thinking it was boring bump chuck. But now I hardly do fingerstyle any more after being fascinated with what alternate flat picking can do for songs and instrumentals.
Steve Goodman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyfjlwXsPpw
Billy Strings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDR6LQQqeoU
Clarence White at 10:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uak2ywIvPxI
David Grier from :30 on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bb7v33D3iE
Old 07-27-2020, 07:33 AM

Flatpicking is as limited or expansive as a player wants it to be or knowledge allows it to be. Just because one lesson or instructor says/teaches x,y, and z, doesn’t mean that’s everything there is.

There is a huge crossover benefit in my opinion because at its core, flatpicking is picking the melody and expanding/embellishing/harmonizing the melody in a way that makes sense. So learning the core trains a player how to play music in an improvised fashion or impromptu setting that says something, rather than just randomly puking out a bunch of notes that have no meaning like every noodle’er at Guitar Center seems to do.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:18 AM

Nothing you learn is Ever bad.

For example, do you finger-pick with p-i-m or p-i-m-a or with all five fingers?

Learn ALL of them. Even if you MOSTLY Travis pick in p-i-m-a, learning the other techniques will give you more options whenever you're faced with playing something different.

Same with flatpicking. I'll never be a hot shot bluegrass flatpicker, but learning the techniques give me more options, even if I'm just doing "strum this accompaniment while I sing."
Old 07-27-2020, 09:43 AM

I was a finger style player for 30 years before I learned to use a pick couple of years back now. It takes time, but honestly I'm really glad I did it. There are things you just can't do as well without using a pick. Same can be said for finger style playing. There are things I can do finger style that I can't with a pick.

Learning to use a pick made me a better player. I doubt I'll ever leave finger style playing behind, but learning to use a pick well has changed my style radically. I play with a pick more than I play finger style now. I've actually been contemplating how to move forward now that I'm pretty good at both. My style totally changed as did the music I play most. Then again, though I love the folksy music I love - I'm not sure I was ever a true folk music devotee. Nor am I am bluegrass lover. Like a little here and there but not my bag. I kind of go towards rock and most rock players other than maybe Mark Knopfler use a pick.
Martin HD12-28 Custom 2019
Takamine Sante Fe 1990
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster

Last edited by Eryc74; 07-27-2020 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:10 PM

After playing almost exclusively fingerstyle for years, I took the extra time at home afforded to me by the pandemic to learn flatpicking. I'm still very much a novice, but having a ton of fun and really expands the amount of stuff you can play. You can also get a much different appreciation for your guitars. I learned to love the ones that can straddle the disciplines of both styles and learned to appreciate others that have a strong specialty.

I would also add that changes in the pick can also really transform the voice of a guitar. I used to think that the voice of the guitar was, as I played it fingerstyle. You also start to think the same thing when you apply your standard pick. I've developed an arsenal of picks and will now go through each one with a guitar and find one that really fits. It honestly brings out new life in a guitar sometimes.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Hybrid picking, the best of both worlds.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 07-27-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Flatpicking is a marvelous skill to be able to add to your musical arsenal. Becoming a proficient flatpicker can be quite helpful, not just in playing bluegrass, but in other musical genres as well. Embellishing arrangements of folk/singer/songwriter material with flatpicking leads or fills can make your performances more interesting and allow you to grow as a musician.
+1. Learning flatpicking on acoustic helped me on electric as well - I'm a better player on both.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:17 PM

Not to put a damper on Flat Picking BUT

Before trying to learn how to Flat Pick

Learn how to play the guitar

J

Just a Public Service Announcement (PSA) to those folks that don't take to a pick, that would be me. Don't let it discourage you that you can't Flat Pick (use a pick)

There's always Finger Style
Old 07-27-2020, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

.....EDIT....I should know better..... best not to say anything at this time...

Last edited by J Patrick; 07-27-2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:10 PM

I guess my PSA is that don't let tunnel vision of Flat Picking prevent you from having the same sound you get with finger style picking, and one less thing to worry about (the PICK)

Personally, i don't see benefits of learning Flat Picking per se.

I flat pick, but i don't use flat picking to advance my technique.

I usually use finger style and then try flat picking after I've mastered my finger style technique.

Everyone is different, if flat picking with a pick advances your playing, go for it.

J

Last edited by MartinGibsonFan; 07-27-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
If you think he is good on guitar, you should watch him on fiddle. He has appeared on over 1000 recordings and now spends a lot of his time as a composer on classical music - with a hoedown feel. Good stuff.
Oh I have, plus live. Have a couple of his fiddle music CD's, in the different styles he plays. Love his stuff.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 07-27-2020, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Hybrid picking, the best of both worlds.
That would be flat picking plus the free fingers, as in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wgmMW2HBp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owKT...&frags=pl%2Cwn

I fingerpicked for decades, and have loved alternate flat picking for the past few years, but blending the two is hard. I will keep at it.

I wonder why Clarence White used hybrid when he could have easier used regular like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6r7...&frags=pl%2Cwn
I guess the hybrid is a lot richer.

Last edited by vintage40s; 07-27-2020 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Along with a lot of the other "pro" sentiments voiced already, learning to flatpick will give you mastery over the whole "upstroke/downstroke" concept of alternate picking, and THAT will serve you immensely as you make your way through all sorts of musical genres...

Try playing the "head" to Charlie Parker's songs without having a firm grasp on alternate flatpicking... you won't get there!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 07-31-2020, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Just adding my voice to the chorus of those who have moved from fingerstyle only into hybrid picking alongside purely fingers and thumb. Hybrid picking has actually helped me to experience the fretboard and recognition of individual notes and melody somewhat differently. I've become more aware as I am arpegiating(sp?) a song of the notes I am actually playing, perhaps because it is less automatic than when my fingers are just rolling through strings.
I do like having the attack that a flat brings for melody lines.
Also the speed and precision for rapid strumming.
Plus it is just fun to learn a different technique.
Lastly, for good or ill, I now almost completely focussed on standard tuning and finally memorizing the fretboard and moving more toward improvisation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write