The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-26-2020, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
Mobile Sheets at $13 seems like a very reasonable alternative, given that you have to buy the Kindle device, not sure how much that is.

I was thinking along the same lines, scan your source to a PDF and then display it on your device.

It eliminates the complexity of learning the application, i am very curious on Mobile Sheets, at $13, it has to be a Keep It Simple Stupid application, which are my favorite type.

I would however, be concerned that by purchasing Mobile Sheets, you are buying software on the internet without a physical media or hardwired key. Par for the course these modern days. But I'm always suspicious buying virtual applications without a physical back up. Something kids wouldn't understand these days.

J
There are several platforms that you can use to load songs into MobileSheets. I just use Dropbox because I'm familiar with it. I find music on my laptop or phone and put it into a folder in DropBox, then download it from there. MobileSheets will automatically let you connect the two of you want. So most everything I have is there in DropBox backed up. There is music that I've found and downloaded it straight into the app, but not so much that I couldn't find it again if I lost it. So you can back it up if you just want to add a step. There are many functions in the app that makes it much more versatile than just putting pdf s in a folder.

10" Kindle HD sell for $ 139. That is about as small as I would want to go.

Last edited by rllink; 07-26-2020 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:51 PM

Good information RLlink, that's good to know there are a wide variety of sources that are accepted.

Wonder what the up charge for Mobile Sheets Professional is? So we are talking about $140 for the Kindle Hardware plus Mobile Sheets (minimum of $13 for starter kit) maybe add $60 more for the Professional version.

It's not a bad investment at $200 ?

Everyone's configuration varies, I've got Guitar Pro v6, not sure if that could somehow be uploaded into a Kindle or Mobile Sheet application.

I'm a miser, right now, scanning a PDF from Guitar Pro 6 (still trying to research if that is possible) would be sufficient for me. It all depends what tools and hardware you currently have and what you are willing to spend on.

Currently, I'm okay using my Laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad 540p)

J
Old 07-26-2020, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
Good information RLlink, that's good to know there are a wide variety of sources that are accepted.

Wonder what the up charge for Mobile Sheets Professional is? So we are talking about $140 for the Kindle Hardware plus Mobile Sheets (minimum of $13 for starter kit) maybe add $60 more for the Professional version.

It's not a bad investment at $200 ?

Everyone's configuration varies, I've got Guitar Pro v6, not sure if that could somehow be uploaded into a Kindle or Mobile Sheet application.

I'm a miser, right now, scanning a PDF from Guitar Pro 6 (still trying to research if that is possible) would be sufficient for me. It all depends what tools and hardware you currently have and what you are willing to spend on.

Currently, I'm okay using my Laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad 540p)

J
I may not know what you mean by upcharge, but MobileSheets is $12.99 for the pro version. There is a free version has advertisements attached to it and limited storage space. The pro version does not. But that's it, the free version or the pro version. I've been using it for three years and I paid the same three years ago.

Here is all the information. Like I said several posts previously, I don't use half the features in it. But you can read hear all about it.

https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/
Old 07-26-2020, 02:12 PM

That's reassuring there is no up charge for the full version.

I will have to look into this.

J
Old 07-26-2020, 07:22 PM

I bought an iPad Pro directly from Apple for $449. It's a 2017, completely refurbished and updated, new guarantee, new battery and so on. It looks and feels new to me. They don't always have them but they appear regularly.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:39 PM

OnSong and ForScore users: I'm also considering migrating to an ipad from paper. My concern is I play in several genres and want to be able to sort my library by them.

Do these programs allow you to make folders for different categories of music?

Also, I sometimes need sets with songs I can click thru with a footswitch. How easy is it to set up set lists in this program?

Thanks -RB
Old 07-26-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
OnSong and ForScore users: I'm also considering migrating to an ipad from paper. My concern is I play in several genres and want to be able to sort my library by them.

Do these programs allow you to make folders for different categories of music?

Thanks -RB
Roy,

In forScore setlists are like folders+. You have one big pot of scores (pdf files) imported into forScore. Then you can create a hierarchy of setlists of those scores (analogous to a hierarchy of folders), but unlike folders, the same score can appear in multiple setlists (e.g., "songs in G" and "8/4/20 Gig").

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
Also, I sometimes need sets with songs I can click thru with a footswitch. How easy is it to set up set lists in this program?
I haven't used a footswitch, but I believe it's like a forScore screen touch, where touch left goes back and touch right goes forward through the pages of the score and then after last page on to the next score in the setlist.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:32 PM

Using forScore and think I will be happy once stuff is in there. But it is a tedious and slow process to get it the way I want it.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:50 AM

Lots of good ideas on here. I've been using an iPad with Setlist Maker for so long I'm kind of stuck with it. It works great, but so many people I play with are on OnSong and have an easier time sharing charts.

FWIW, I use Boss switching pedals (2 F5s, but you can use an F6) with an AirTurn Duo instead of the plastic pedal set up it comes with. They're more responsive, more durable, and weigh enough to not accidentally kick them into the crowd as I once did with the original setup.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Howdy again everyone. Well my Kindle Fire HD 10 arrived. I downloaded the Musicsheets Pro and Onedrive. I will have to admit, even for a tech dummy like me, it's been easy to get it going. I find a song lyrics on say chordie or classic country. Copy and share it direct to Onedrive. Then I can import it directly to Musicsheets pro. Can add or change chords, setup gig list, edit etc. Going to be so nice not having to have a bunch of binders. Next step is to get AirTurn BT200S-2 Bluetooth Pedal Page Turner.
Great big thanks to rllink for all the help !

Have a great day everyone
Bill
Old 08-02-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill1962 View Post
Howdy again everyone. Well my Kindle Fire HD 10 arrived. I downloaded the Musicsheets Pro and Onedrive. I will have to admit, even for a tech dummy like me, it's been easy to get it going. I find a song lyrics on say chordie or classic country. Copy and share it direct to Onedrive. Then I can import it directly to Musicsheets pro. Can add or change chords, setup gig list, edit etc. Going to be so nice not having to have a bunch of binders. Next step is to get AirTurn BT200S-2 Bluetooth Pedal Page Turner.
Great big thanks to rllink for all the help !

Have a great day everyone
Bill
My wife and i just played outside today in the wind -- great for that as well. No more clothes pins or chord sheets blowing in the wind Glad to hear you're up and running. If you haven't already, now would be a good time to look into a protective case and a micstand tablet holder.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
My wife and i just played outside today in the wind -- great for that as well. No more clothes pins or chord sheets blowing in the wind Glad to hear you're up and running. If you haven't already, now would be a good time to look into a protective case and a micstand tablet holder.
I tried both a mic stand tablet holder and the traditional 2 page music stand with a black background. The black background improves my concentration on the music. With no background, I see around the tablet and what is in front of me is distracting. Also, if someone hands me a paper score I can put it on the stand.

Here's what I ended up with (light weight, folds up small):

https://www.amazon.com/Peak-Music-St.../dp/B00KBD47EG
Old 08-03-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post

For anyone thinking of going the Kindle and MobileSheets route, for your two hundred bucks you aren't going yo get what you will get for seven hundred bucks, so don't compare it to an i Pad and OnSong. The question is always how can I get into it cheap, and the answer is a Kindle and MobileSheets. You get what you pay for and that setup has limits. I'm saying that for my purposes it works great.
I used to use MobileSheets on a Samsung tablet. The tablet died and I decided to switch to OnSong on an iPad, primarily because most of the people I play music with are OnSong/iPad. Just lyrics and chords, no sheet music. For use by myself, I prefer the iPad over the Samsung tablet, but prefer MobileSheets to Onsong. When playing/jamming with others, the ability to instantly share ('beam") songs to other OnSong users is a game-changer. It's a shame those two apps are platform-specific.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:35 PM

I’m very happy with my iPad and Unreal Book.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

I've been using an iPad Pro and OnSong but I find OnSong has some limitations. I don't know MobileSheets but after the discussion here, I might give it a try. At $13, what's to lose? (oh yeah. 13 bucks)

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write