The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-24-2020, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Default The Elements of Music

Pitch – how high or low a note sounds
Rhythm – the pattern of regular or irregular pulses caused in music by the occurrence of strong and weak beats. (In everyday language this is the “groove”).
Duration – the length of a musical note
Structure – the way in which an overall piece of music is arranged into similar and contrasting sections.
Dynamics – how loud/quiet the music is (either the overall sound or of individual notes/instruments within it)
Pulse – the beat of the music
Texture – the way in which melody, rhythm and harmony are combined in a piece of music. What each part/instrument is doing at any given point.
Tempo – the speed of the pulse
Timbre – the tone of a musical note
Tonality – the key in which a piece is written (can change as piece progresses)
Harmony – the relationship between 2 or more simultaneously sounding notes

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-24-2020, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Dynamics – how loud/quiet the music is (either the overall sound or of individual

I always think about the dynamic range in this song when I listen to it...

-Mike
Old 07-24-2020, 01:20 PM

On a stringed instrument I think of dynamics as where the strings were plucked as well, not just loud or soft.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
On a stringed instrument I think of dynamics as where the strings were plucked as well, not just loud or soft.
That's timbre or tone colour. You can play piano or forte near the bridge (ponticello) or near the fretboard (sul tasto) for example.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 07-24-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
I'd call that the timbre. The (perceived) volume can be identical, but the note sounds very different due to the sharpness of the attack and the mix of tones that produce the body of the note.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:54 PM

I'd agree that there's plausibly something else, often included in musical scores, and something I have tried to learn more about as I compose with string instruments:

Expression or articulation

Yes, you can say it's timbre or dynamics and so on, covered with a broad definition of those other things, but straight legato vs. tenuto vs. portato are different and musical scores will specify those terms.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write