The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-02-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Nice you got it! Regarding heavy strumming, I use a 0.6mm Dunlop tortex pick and it handles heavy strumming with that without issue. The textured back and sides were a surprise to me as well, though a good one. I like how it prevents the guitar from sliding around on you. You said you like the tone, does that mean it doesn't sound like a tin can or tin-can-squared?
I have found the rough sides good for simulating Tommy Emmanuels’ dragging his fingers over the sanded part of his soundboard, just adding more options to the music
Old 08-02-2020, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

I ordered my red Emerald X10 with their Crystal Ice finish on the back and sides. I like the difference in texture between the glossy top and the textured back and sides. It isn't enough to pick up noise when rubbing against clothing, but I think it makes a difference in the guitar sitting on my knee. I ordered it more for the aesthetics, though.

When I have played the Sable and Touring, I liked the textured back and sides.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
I have found the rough sides good for simulating Tommy Emmanuels’ dragging his fingers over the sanded part of his soundboard, just adding more options to the music
Yes, and to add to that I also find the soundboard really nice for general percussive sounds.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
It also sounds terrible. Go on about its tonal balance and charm all you want but, at the end of the day, it sounds like a tin can. For a tiny CF guitar, does it sound great? Sure. But... I'd be embarrassed to show up at an unplugged gig and tell people how much I paid for it.
I first read this thread a few weeks back and have thought about it a lot since. The sound of a guitar is subjective, and the OP makes a great point about the romance wearing off of an expensive purchase three years in, but 'tin can'? 'Terrible'?

There's just no way...The thing just resonates so warmly! It's entirely possible that a person could maybe not care for the tone of these particular materials and design, but 'embarrassed to show up at unplugged gig with it'?

That just seems totally out of bounds. That's very different than saying, I don't care for the tone...'

I won't begrudge the OP his criticism of the way the guitar looks, because that is truly in the eye of the beholder, even more so than the tone is in the...ear of the beholder(?)

I personally like the offset sound hole, both for it's functional purpose and for it's untraditional feel. I also think the carbon fiber top is beautiful. I don't love the finish on the back and sides, it just feels like rough plastic and I wish the entire instrument was made from woven carbon fiber, but on the whole, I like this guitar more and more...
Old 08-20-2020, 02:51 PM
Guest 928

Good for you BMinor: It's good that you took some time to think about the criticism, even better that you are so moderate in your response, and best of all that you are not deterred by an obverse opinion. It sounds like you have found a keeper, congratulations.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber