The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-01-2020, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Hello from Tassie

Hi all, I’m Chris from Tassie, mature(ish), guitar player, thus far working as maintenance fitter – but also dreaming of stepping into this amazing hobby.
... been lurking here for quite a few years before joining the forum in 2016, mainly to prep myself and do some research if I’d even be able to wrap my head around some of the the mechanical aspects of caressing and assembling timbers into these beautiful shapes which also sound amazing. What I’ve read and gleaned from the many members’ posts here at AGF was so supportive and encouraging – amazing stuff! I've dabbled with artsy stuff before (water colours, tattoos, leather carving, etc.) hoping that'll help me a bit with aesthetics and design.

‘Course, I visited local guitar expos too, trying to get an idea of what our local talent has on offer. As I’m playing their guitars, checking ‘em out, I thought – hmm, if I’d tackle it the right way, I might be in with a chance to eventually craft beautiful contemporary guitars too. It’s become a real amazing and interesting journey for me, heart-warming & funny too.

Began this addictive hobby with my Bunnings guitar. Bunnings is a large Aussie hardware store chain, where I bought 3mm plywood to practice heat-bending on, and to use for the body. Some of my mates reckon it’s a true-blue piece of bogan affair. To my surprise, most the new theoretical head knowledge I had in my head by then (neck-angle, bracing, fretting, scale length, etc) came together ok and she even played in tune. Yay! We decided to call her FrankenTar because of course some components were, well, butchered a fair bit. That was 2016/17, kick-started me onto the path of learning to become a luthier. Neck is Ash & Myrtle, fretboard is Merbau with a little figure, head & rosette is Huon Pine burl. Tried to spruce up plain plywood with iron/vinegar/black tea dye.

I wanted to express my sincere thanks to all guitar creators on here, who gladly share their insights, processes and reasonings. Your encouraging posts make this a fantastic place! But there’s one Master Luthier in particular, to whom I owe very much! More on that later though.

... anyway, here are a few pics showing stages of Franky (CSG-01)

Last edited by Chris Shute; 08-10-2020 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:38 PM

My nephew-in-law down in Hobart built me this rosewood jumbo.
Self taught.
Only acoustic he's ever built.
Here's me playing it for the very 1st time.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-02-2020, 03:52 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Welcome Chris and well wishes in your new endeavors. Can't wait to see where you take your lutherie!
Old 08-02-2020, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the introduction Chris. Keep sending updates!
Old 08-03-2020, 02:59 AM

G'day from Victoria, Chris.

What a great first guitar! Love the Huon pine. I spent a day looking at woods at Distinctive Timbers in Devonport a few years ago and I reckon you are truly spoilt for fine timber in Tassie.

Nice to see something like this as we prepare for the next level of lockdown from Wednesday. I must make sure my home office is a guitar-free area so I can concentrate on work....

Last edited by colins; 08-03-2020 at 03:55 AM.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:09 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Bruce, cigarfan, jmat & colins, for your warm welcome, much appreciated.

Yep you hit the nail on the head (colins), many of our fine timbers in Tassie are quite exotic to the rest of the world. Enabling them to ring out in their own voice though, seems to be the hardest part. How? probably in 1700 easy steps - Ha!
Old 08-04-2020, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Thanks Bruce, cigarfan, jmat & colins, for your warm welcome, much appreciated.

Yep you hit the nail on the head (colins), many of our fine timbers in Tassie are quite exotic to the rest of the world. Enabling them to ring out in their own voice though, seems to be the hardest part. How? probably in 1700 easy steps - Ha!
Better you than me to take those steps mate. I had so much trouble even making a coffee table (very sturdy but my wife covers it with a cloth!), I would never contemplate building a guitar!
Old 08-04-2020, 08:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hello Chris, it's great to have you here, and nice to see guitar #1.
Kudos!
Just today Ryan and I were talking about some very interesting wood we have acquired from Oz and Tassie. Of course, the Tassie Tiger Myrtle. But also some very curly Wandoo, as well as some quilted Jarrah. Graham McDonald was nice enough to send some Cheesewood bindings, and we even had a go at King Billie Pine as a soundboard for an OM. This just tells me you guys have lots of interesting timbers down there. You're in for a fun ride!
Looking forward to #2,

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 08-05-2020, 03:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Hello Chris, it's great to have you here, and nice to see guitar #1...... you guys have lots of interesting timbers down there. You're in for a fun ride! Looking forward to #2,
Steve
Thanks Steve, for your warm welcome - very nice.
It's true, with Tassie timbers gaining more exposure to luthiers & instrument builders around the world, it's delightful to see them explored in this way - and not merely thought of as 'colonials'
CS-02 post is in draft ....

Last edited by Chris Shute; 08-05-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to AGF, Chris. I really admire the skills of a luthier. I tried building an acoustic many years ago but got lost in the technical aspects of the neck. So... I am a habitual buyer and not a builder. Made me appreciate your craft even more. All the best and I'm looking forward to watching your future builds.

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 08-05-2020, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakingMusic View Post
Welcome to AGF, Chris. I really admire the skills of a luthier. I tried building an acoustic many years ago but got lost in the technical aspects of the neck. So... I am a habitual buyer and not a builder. Made me appreciate your craft even more. All the best and I'm looking forward to watching your future builds.
Thanks MakingMusic, for your warm welcome.
I share your admiration of luthier's skills, well worth aspiring to - I assumed for myself. Yeah, I find the neck techno aspects are spaghetti-junction in my mind, like moving goal posts. I'm trying to nudge myself in the right direction.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Well, you’re an entertaining read, and that’s not a bad start at all!!
Old 08-05-2020, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Very cool. Welcome and good luck in your building. I wish I had time to join you in learning to build a guitar. I’ll have to remain an armchair luthier for the time being.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Well, you’re an entertaining read, and that’s not a bad start at all!!
Thanks Bruce, for the warm welcome and encouraging note
Old 08-06-2020, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Very cool. Welcome and good luck in your building. I wish I had time to join you in learning to build a guitar. I’ll have to remain an armchair luthier for the time being.
Thanks justonwo, for the nice welcome.
yeah, it took me a few years of pondering if I should consider learning about luthiering in earnest. My job offers a very good roster, which created the opportunity for me to dedicate siginificant time to delve into this. It's become an amazing journey for me ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop