The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-03-2020, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Learning by ear - Taylor Swift "folklore" album

I'll start off by saying her new record "folklore" is pretty brilliant and highly recommended. I'm not a huge fan but this set of songs is something else, and she has upped her songwriting and arranging without a doubt.

As a result of playing the album over and over, I got curious and got my guitar out to try and play along. In a single afternoon, I figured out the chords to about five of the songs. She uses mostly major and minor chords we all know, and she capoes up on a couple of tunes.

It's a great exercise for sharpening your ear and it is a joyful feeling when you get it right and can play along and add your own flourish to it.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:59 PM

It's a great album, and what a good idea to home in on these songs to work out the chords by ear. The arrangements are such that there's plenty of room to add strumming or picking - or pick out lead lines. You can hear how some of of these new songs from Taylor could be arranged in a more guitar-based way, like her older Nashville albums.

Just identifying the key or working out if a capo is needed is so valuable and I would say don't be put off if there are odd chords or changes that may be hard to catch, you can come back and home in on these.

Fabulous suggestion, Blueser.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCharlesD View Post
It's a great album, and what a good idea to home in on these songs to work out the chords by ear. The arrangements are such that there's plenty of room to add strumming or picking - or pick out lead lines. You can hear how some of of these new songs from Taylor could be arranged in a more guitar-based way, like her older Nashville albums.

Just identifying the key or working out if a capo is needed is so valuable and I would say don't be put off if there are odd chords or changes that may be hard to catch, you can come back and home in on these.

Fabulous suggestion, Blueser.
Charles, which songs are you working on?
Old 08-08-2020, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Anyone of the 190+ viewers of this thread heard the record, played along to it? I can't be the only one having such fun.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write