The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-31-2020, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Learning flat picking for me meant that I would first need to figure out the melody of a fiddle tune. I wasn't familiar with any. In the process I would experiment with tunes melodies that I knew. Simple ones like Amazing Grace etc. Now I can flat pick melodies. If I can hear them I can figure out how to play them. Though it's touched on with flat picking and used more so when learning country blues finger picking learning the major and seventh chord conversions up the neck is a must at some point.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

Last edited by Mr. Jelly; 07-31-2020 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crnazz View Post
I'd like to improve my playing with a pick... something more than just strumming and/or chord appegios ..etc...

So - My question:
How much does learning flatpicking from a bluegrass perspective (which most of it seems to be) help with OTHER genres?

I just purchased, and am awaiting the arrival of, Dan Miller's Flatpicking Essentials to see where it gets me. I've read so many positive reviews of this series.

I like folk/singer/songwriter type music and am not really as much of a bluegrass fan - (but I could see it growing on me).... so I'm hoping it improves my playing skill across other genres....

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!
While there are genre's that tend to utilize predominantly either flat pick or finger pic, as in say Bluegrass and Classical respectively. And there are some logistical differences BUT

The basic difference between using fingers and using a flat pic is, they are two different methods to vibrate guitar stings .Which has little nothing to do with genre limitations . Either one can be used to play any genre

Platitudes about one or the other, being this or that, are simply personal notions

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 08-03-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crnazz View Post
I'd like to improve my playing with a pick... something more than just strumming and/or chord appegios ..etc...

So - My question:
How much does learning flatpicking from a bluegrass perspective (which most of it seems to be) help with OTHER genres?

I just purchased, and am awaiting the arrival of, Dan Miller's Flatpicking Essentials to see where it gets me. I've read so many positive reviews of this series.

I like folk/singer/songwriter type music and am not really as much of a bluegrass fan - (but I could see it growing on me).... so I'm hoping it improves my playing skill across other genres....

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!
Hi, strange, I was sure I'd already answered this question.

My main style is to flat-pick, but I'm more of melody rhythm, and taking lead breaks, rather than lots of fiddle tunes played note for note.

Please watch some of my videos, maybe like this one : In this time of plague, I've been asked to do zoom meetings, and so have learnt the basics and done a fair few, so if interested, let me know.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, strange, I was sure I'd already answered this question.

My main style is to flat-pick, but I'm more of melody rhythm, and taking lead breaks, rather than lots of fiddle tunes played note for note.

Please watch some of my videos, maybe like this one : In this time of plague, I've been asked to do zoom meetings, and so have learnt the basics and done a fair few, so if interested, let me know.

Nice version, my friend! Sis Draper is smiling.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write