The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-30-2020, 12:45 PM

From what I know, it's originally the bagpipe tune but Hamish Henderson wrote the lyrics to Freedom Come All Ye in 1960. I think it would have been well known in the British folk scene in the 60s and 70s.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
From what I know, it's originally the bagpipe tune but Hamish Henderson wrote the lyrics to Freedom Come All Ye in 1960. I think it would have been well known in the British folk scene in the 60s and 70s.
Great, thanks! This is all making perfect sense!

As someone (loosely) involved in the British folk scene in the late 60s/early 70s, I never heard of this tune in either guise. (I never heard of Hamish Henderson either.) But no doubt Davey Graham knew the piece, and decided to revert to the name of the instrumental tune when recording it in the late 70s.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:54 AM

OK, here's my demo of DG's arrangement (on a crappy old nylon-string, because I didn't want to convert either of my steel-string guitars):

Old 07-31-2020, 10:51 AM

ˇˇˇOle!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write