The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-29-2020, 05:03 PM

Default Fingerstyle Beginner problem, help

Hello. Sorry for my english.
I will use google translator.
I'm starting to play fingerstyle
I've been playing the guitar for two and a half years, and I've become very good at strumming, playing every song that goes through my head. This, thanks to my passion, in fact I spend many hours a day at the instrument.
Lately I wanted to get closer to the fingerstyle world. But I have big problems.
As I said, I am very good at chords and strumming, but already playing rope by rope I get into difficulties. This is because I hardly trained with songs of this type.
I'm studying as first beatles track "BlackBird". The song is 80% good for me. What does it mean? It means that I learned the passages well but I'm wrong in playing the string. Sometimes it sounds bad because I don't take the fingering properly. And I start to get nervous. I'm starting to be sad. Because if in my live I had to play a song of this type punctually I will miss some string, badly pressed or wrong position.
I'm noticing that with blackbird I almost always make the same mistakes on the same fingering. And it never seems to improve.
I've been studying it for 3 days.
And if blackbird is so bad, imagine if I want to get closer to a song of a myth for me like Tommy Emmanuel.
I am very down-to-earth and would like advice, help, positive thoughts to do whenever I'm wrong.
My mistakes are from:
Wrong fingering
and strings that sound bad.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:16 PM
Dan - Charter Member

Practice the places where are you making the mistakes very, very, very slowly -- ridiculously slowly. You want to go so slowly that you have time not to make mistakes. Don't be tempted to speed up until you can play the difficult passage perfectly at the slow speed.

By practicing and making the same mistakes over and over, you are practicing and learning the mistakes.

Another thread on this topic:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=164483
Old 07-29-2020, 08:24 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert View Post
Practice the places where are you making the mistakes very, very, very slowly -- ridiculously slowly. You want to go so slowly that you have time not to make mistakes. Don't be tempted to speed up until you can play the difficult passage perfectly at the slow speed.

By practicing and making the same mistakes over and over, you are practicing and learning the mistakes.

Thank you so much I'm continuing to practice and it's getting better
One question:
How can I go about improving my mood?
I'll explain: when I make a mistake I get too angry.
Because I think I am scarce and amateur.
(Which is true, I'm a beginner in fingerstyle)
BUT INSTEAD Are these common mistakes that all fingerstyle artists go through?
that is, is it completely normal what I'm going through?
Old 07-29-2020, 11:06 PM

Dhalbert said it perfectly.

As far as feeling angry, don't beat yourself up. You've only been playing it for a few days. I can tell you're passionate about guitar. Your passion will carry you far.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su_H. View Post

As far as feeling angry, don't beat yourself up. You've only been playing it for a few days. I can tell you're passionate about guitar. Your passion will carry you far.
Oh thank you, i love this forum
Old 07-30-2020, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsecco View Post
I've been studying it for 3 days.
Is that all?? Give it another 3 weeks... at least...

Slow down as much as you need to to get it right. Even if that is painfully slow. Once you get it right, then gradually speed up.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

It can be hard to play slowly enough to really nail difficult passages.

A metronome will help.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:06 AM

You say you are good at strumming.

What helped me transition to finger style was to ' transpose ' my strumming songs to finger style.

You are using your strength, which is strumming, and converting it over to finger style.

I definitely agree, you may need a metronome to make that conversion, but i think it's well worth it, using familiar techniques and sounds of your current playing.

It has worked wonders for my finger style technique.

Scales (pentatonic and major) can also help getting finger style technique.

J
Old 07-30-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su_H. View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Is that all?? Give it another 3 weeks... at least...

Slow down as much as you need to to get it right. Even if that is painfully slow. Once you get it right, then gradually speed up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
It can be hard to play slowly enough to really nail difficult passages.

A metronome will help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
You say you are good at strumming.

What helped me transition to finger style was to ' transpose ' my strumming songs to finger style.

You are using your strength, which is strumming, and converting it over to finger style.

I definitely agree, you may need a metronome to make that conversion, but i think it's well worth it, using familiar techniques and sounds of your current playing.

It has worked wonders for my finger style technique.

Scales (pentatonic and major) can also help getting finger style technique.

J
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert View Post

Guys thank you, I'm improving a lot
Blackbird is doing well every time.
Thanks so much.
My question is the following:
With blackbird I don't look at the strings, but what I do with my left hand.
It is happening to me with another training song, which I do not watch what I do with my left hand, but my right hand because I still have difficulty finding the strings.
Can this be a problem?
Do I have to get used to seeing what I have to do with my left hand?
Sorry if it seems a stupid question, but because watching many youtube videos everyone looks at the handle and the left hand.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsecco View Post
Guys thank you, I'm improving a lot
Blackbird is doing well every time.
Thanks so much.
My question is the following:
With blackbird I don't look at the strings, but what I do with my left hand.
It is happening to me with another training song, which I do not watch what I do with my left hand, but my right hand because I still have difficulty finding the strings.
Can this be a problem?
Do I have to get used to seeing what I have to do with my left hand?
Sorry if it seems a stupid question, but because watching many youtube videos everyone looks at the handle and the left hand.
I think you are asking if it is a problem to look at your right hand?

I had to watch the fingers on my right hand when I first started fingerpicking. I can't remember how long it took to find the right strings without looking, but it wasn't a real long time. I think it is better to look and get it right than to not look and practice a mistake!

As you say, a lot of people look at their left hand, and I know some good teachers recommend it. But I don't think it is necessary, except when learning new fingerings or when making big leaps around the fretboard. Kind of an individual preference type of thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write