The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-25-2020, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Default I finally nailed that stretch

There's a x333x7 stretch, played arpeggio- with the 5th string and 1st string first being played together, in one of Stephen Wake's arrangement that was defeating me. As you have probably guessed I don't have "Piano hands" so this was impossible for me 2 weeks ago on a full scale guitar. So I practiced it on my Seagull and it was coming along, not great but doable in bits and pieces. I still had to work at playing the two notes cleanly and it wasn't coming easily. Then I switched from silk and steel lights on the Seagull to mediums. That set me back and I couldn't get the notes to ring clear but I kept working on it (I had also raised the "action" on the Seagull).

I got tired of beating my head against the wall so I went back to silk and steel. Immediately after that and before I could try out the strings, I came down with a stomach bug and I didn't play for about 3-4 days.

When I was feeling better yesterday I decided to try the tune on my Larrivee OM-05. Suddenly I was doing much better. Today I got it to a decent point (the stretch is at the 8 second mark)

I was expecting not to be able to do the stretch last night and for some reason it was there. I suppose the tendons had to just rest for a few days after being beat up for almost a week,

Barry

Avalon Ard Ri L2-320C, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Guild D-120

Cordoba C12, C5, and Fusion 12

Celtic on YouTube (Subscribers wanted!)

Nylon on YouTube

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral}:

Old 07-26-2020, 01:07 PM

That sounds nice, Barry, small victories count, and they add up! And I like the sound of the chord.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
That sounds nice, Barry, small victories count, and they add up! And I like the sound of the chord.
Thanks Duke, one of these days I'll record the entire tune.

Barry

Avalon Ard Ri L2-320C, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Guild D-120

Cordoba C12, C5, and Fusion 12

Celtic on YouTube (Subscribers wanted!)

Nylon on YouTube

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral}:

Old 07-26-2020, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations!

I’ve mostly stopped playing passages that require stretches that I’m not likely to reach easily and play musically. Instead I consider some options:

- capo up

- re-finger

- move the bass note up an octave

- leave a note out

- alter the arrangement

My goal is to keep the passage musical, and as close as possible to the original, and still be able to render the passage in such a way as to be enjoyable with the listener and to me as a player.

While I frequently find an acceptable solution, sometimes I have to give up playing a tune, most regrettably including one of my very favorite pieces for guitar, Barrios’ “Sueno en la Floresta”.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Other than many of the basic things beginners learn and that easily stick with them, certain particulars (say a difficult
chord change jump with a stretch and re-fingering) you can manage with repeated concentrated practice. Quite often
however that is a ephemeral achievement rather than some fixed mastery.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 07-28-2020 at 03:14 PM. Reason: grammer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write