The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-19-2020, 01:59 PM

Default which picking technique for Eugene's Trick Bag?

Which is the best picking technique for Eugene's Trick Bag?

I've watched some youtube videos and one player used a purely alternate picking style.

Another had a very specific way of picking it. For example he played the first bar:
up, down, down, down,
up, down, down, down,
up, down, up, down,
up, up, up, up

I found that second approach quite an odd way to pick it and prefer this instead:
up, down, down, down,
down, up, down, down,
up, down, up, up,
down, up, up, up

I think if i tried to learn it with alternate picking i'd currently be considerably slower than the way i prefer to pick it.

I'm wondering if the way i'm picking it is going to be extremely difficult to play at full speed (130bpm). I'm not going to be able to play it full speed however i pick it at the moment, but i want to at least be using the best technique, so maybe one day i could play it at full speed.

Is there not really a correct answer here? Just whatever anyone feels is best for them. Maybe for some alternate picking comes more naturally and others an economy/sweep approach is going to be better.

Here's the tab for this song:
https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/stev...ads-tab-s383t0
Old 07-19-2020, 02:49 PM

That's a very electric guitar specific riff you posted.

I'm guessing there are more hammer ons and pull offs going on than up down picking technique.

I could be totally off base here and am waiting for others to chime in.

Personally, that's just too hot (fast) of a lick to practice technique.

You're saying you're slowing it down, but it's just not a riff geared towards Acoustic Guitar.

I'll wait to hear for more expertise opinion on this.

Oh, and BTW, welcome to the AGF.

J
Old 07-19-2020, 03:17 PM

Hello, thanks for the welcome and response.

Although the tab shows hammer ons/pull offs, the players i've watched on youtube don't use them. They pick each note.

Is it not possible to play this on acoustic guitar then? I didn't realise there's a distinction of what would be possible to play on acoustic. I only have an electric guitar. I'm guessing the strings on an acoustic are thicker making it harder to play high speed, like in this song?

I know it may seem odd i would join an acoustic guitar forum when i have an electric guitar. This was the first forum which looked like people were very active though.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:30 AM

There is this fingerstyle acoustic version:

If I was going to attempt this piece - which I'm not! - this is how I'd approach it.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
There is this fingerstyle acoustic version:

If I was going to attempt this piece - which I'm not! - this is how I'd approach it.
This is mostly the classical arrangement by William Kanengiser that appears earlier in the film (Crossroads) when Eugene is practicing in his room, as opposed to the Steve Vai epic duel piece at the end the OP is referring to which, yes, is unplayable on an acoustic.

Kanengiser's arrangement makes for a nice arpeggio study, I transcribed it a while back. The guy above does a really good job, he has taken things a step further and arranged more of Vai's solo for classical.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel

Last edited by JonnyBGood; 07-25-2020 at 01:23 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write