The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-22-2020, 01:06 PM

Default Revelation slap

Hi guys , after several months of learning the accoustic blues and trying several tasks by the tutor on site , iwasbecoming really annoyed that I could not do the slap as instructed ,well I thought I was doing it right but it never sounded the same. That was until I plugged in and wow there it was, the slap tone I was been wanting to do . So I need to plug in to do it no one ever said that , maybe it’s not true but can you can play the percussive slap on the strings and get that tone without plugging it in ...😎
Old 07-22-2020, 02:35 PM

The pop and slap tone is a nice syncopated rhythm that can get any tune going. I think there are various ways to getting this achieved.

I use palm / finger muting on the picking hand, and fret muting on the left hand.

Is this video the technique you are referring to?

https://www.google.com/search?q=acou...W1tAapyY_IDA33
Old 07-22-2020, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain View Post
Hi guys , after several months of learning the accoustic blues and trying several tasks by the tutor on site , iwasbecoming really annoyed that I could not do the slap as instructed ,well I thought I was doing it right but it never sounded the same. That was until I plugged in and wow there it was, the slap tone I was been wanting to do . So I need to plug in to do it no one ever said that , maybe it’s not true but can you can play the percussive slap on the strings and get that tone without plugging it in ...��
For example most (all?) of the Candy Rat guitarists use some type of pickup. Yes, in general for that type of sound you need a pickup.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-23-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain View Post
maybe it’s not true but can you can play the percussive slap on the strings and get that tone without plugging it in ...😎
Yes, easily, providing your action isn't too high.

I am assuming here you are talking about the click sound produced by slapping the side of the thumb on a muted bass string, usually on beats 2 and 4 of a 4/4/pattern for example, to mimic the rhythmic accompaniment of a snare drum. It's produced by the string hitting the top of the frets.

Of course you might be talking about slapped harmonics, or playing actual bass notes with a slap technique as a bass player would, or something else, its not clear. Very often on this forum you'll get long threads of advice on technique when people have completely misunderstood what the OP was asking, so a Youtube video is usually the best way to demo what it is you are trying to do.

Generally speaking using a pickup/amplifier will only enhance what is already there, although certain types of pickup will exagerrate/enhance certain frequency ranges and therefore specific techniques.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 07-23-2020, 01:46 PM

Hi guys some confusion here my bad as you guys say, the tone / or technique I am talking about is when my tutor uses ,sort off all the finger in a curled position so inbetween the beat he sort of brings his hand down onto the strings causing a sort of snare sound , sort of like play the bass note with the thumb beat one for example then beat two brings the curled fist down on the strings (snare sound ) the movement it not like the strumming motion more like a Slap against the strings I can do it but it dose not sound anywhere near until I found out by plugging into a amp which I don’t use veryoften.
Hope I have make myself a tad clearer
Thanks guys

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write