The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-26-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I never had that problem. That model of guitar seem decent enough. If it is continually going flat than use more strings winds and loops when putting on new strings.
Usually our guitars go sharp.
As we play the wood warms up and expands, in turn tightening the strings which also expand, but way less than the woods..
The neck gets that much longer while the top makes the bridge go that much further away in opposite direction...
So we proceed to tune down again and again where I believe it would finally cease if, IF we're able to keep the room temp and humidity steady..
Alas, most dwellings don't contain rooms that promise this unless we equip a dedicated room to be able to, through all the carpentry and masonry it'd take to do so.
I.E. make a studio !! And even then, to keep it fail safe we'd have to include in this studio a toilet..Otherwise opening studio door to go down a hall to one immediately changes the studio's weather condition !!
Mark
Old 12-26-2020, 06:00 PM

PS. Thank you to all who sat in on this gig !!
Your solos were well taken !
Sorry for the belated response !
Mark
Old 12-26-2020, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

The problem might lie in your symptom.......and be easily resolved.

If it was environmental fluctuations you would tune up *AND* down. This is also the case with sticky nut slots.

If you are always tuning up (which is almost always the case), that means the string is loosening (not "stretching" plastically). The two culprits here are ball ends not secured properly and sloppy loose wraps on the post (almost always the case).

Regardless of what perceptions may be, this is almost always the cause.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-26-2020, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Tell me more, what are these?
Rosette Guitar Products have a product called Black Diamond Bridge Beads. The beads are rectangular and have 2 sets of holes drilled in them that you weave the string through. The "bead" acts as the ball end of a string and makes it a lot easier to string up a classical.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-27-2020, 02:35 AM

Marcin Dylla - a Polish virtuoso - keeps repeating this:

"A classical guitarist spends 15 minutes tuning his instrument and then performs for 10 minutes. Out of tune."

Nylon strings, depending on tension and manufacturer, need sometimes up to 3, 4 days to get stable.

Also, there are several tuning techniques.
The one I use, is, with a help of tuner, I'm looking for the right note on the sixth fret.

In that case, I'm in tune along the string.
Also, I can easily separate the note I'm looking for from other strings, since there is almost no corelation between what each string is supposed to produce at sixth fret and harmonics on other strings.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:00 PM

I do keep coming back to thinking the rollers may have something to do with it !!
So many of our classical guitars have all plastic or plastic on metal centers as the roller material. What if they were all ebony ? Clarinets and oboes are ebony for the very reason that they keep their pitch against changing atmospheric conditions..
True flamenco guitars have ebony friction pegs. So why not ebony rollers ?
I'd happily pay more knowing my guitar has them if they promised allot greater longevity in keeping the strings remaining at concert pitch... M

Last edited by MarkinLA; 12-28-2020 at 06:48 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical