The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
Maybe. But in my experience, often flying on regional jets, expecting to store a guitar in the overhead bin is unrealistic. They barely have room for the one piece of luggage we're allowed to take on board. I certainly have never seen anyone try to cram a guitar in there. Guitars are gate-checked, with strollers, etc. I have a flight-case and am not that worried. Of course something can still happen, you can't insure against the craziest scenarios. If some disgruntled baggage-handler wants to destroy it, he'll find a way.

I can't believe some of the things I read sometimes. I'd better not board a plane and be unable to fit my one small piece of luggage in the overhead because someone who boarded before me decided to store his Martin HD-35 in there.

Also, those who think they're guaranteed to be able to board the plane with their guitar because they printed the relevant section of the FAA regulations, you're dreaming. If the crew decides it's not going in, it's not.
FWIW, I have a Hoffee for my 1929 00, and I've (knock on wood) never had to check it at the gate. It fits in the above compartment (luckily, with room for two travel bags so I don't feel like a jerk for hogging the compartment). My tips for successful travel are 1. early boarding pass, and making sure you're not flying on one of those dinky planes that pack you in like veal. When the gate checked tells you you need to check it at the gate, just smile and say "ok", then proceed on the plane. You don't have to check it and they really have no idea what fits and what does not.

I am actually doing a straight up trade my for a Calton this week, BTW. Looking forward to it.

//M
Hood River, OR
Old 08-02-2020, 04:40 AM

"Zombie thread" or not, it is interesting to compare. I must own more than a dozen Calton cases, some built by Keith back-in-the-day, the others from the past few years and from Austin. Fabulous cases, but bleedin' heavy. Decided to purchase a couple of Hoffees for a couple of recently-acquired guitars to try and give my lower back a "break." Looking forward to comparing them to my cluster of Caltons.

MARTIN 1965 D-12-20
1999 D-45 SS
00 000-42 ECB
02 000-28 ECB
09 MC-18 WM
09 000-18 Marquis
11 J-SO!
12 J-12SO!
12 D-41 CS
13 M-30 JK
14 OMC-45
15 D-222
16 OM-45 CS
17 OMC-21 CS
72 Guild Mark II
76 Gurian S3M
96 Sobell Model 1
97 Bown 000
2000 Aram Hauser
04 Gibson J-185 Ren Ferguson
11 Apollonio 12-string
13 Kovácik 000-42
18 Aram Hauser cutaway
21 Bown OM cutaway
Old 08-02-2020, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

I have 2 Calton Cases and they are terrific, but very heavy indeed. Terrific customer service too. One of the cases arrived with an oversized wedge in the top lid that I thought put too much pressure on the guitar top. They looked at my pictures recognized the mistake and shipped it back on their dime. Within 2 weeks it was back in my hands in perfect condition.

I don’t have Hoffee, but have been tempted. I do own 2 Karura cases. Very nice cases and they are very light weight. The first case arrived in perfect condition. The second one arrived with a few minor blems that were no huge deal, but I wasn’t thrilled with the QC or with Customer service on the manufacturing end. The dealer, Dream Guitars, was very responsive and great to work with.

BTW both brands have a chemical STINK that requires extremely long airing out to make the odor tolerable.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:33 PM

Default Cases

I have 2 Hoffee cases - one for my dreadnaughts and one for my 000/0M’s.
Both are excellent - reasonably light, extremely protective. Years ago, I lost
a Taylor guitar out of a roof pod on the Interstate. Guitar survived - standard Taylor case was destroyed. I was freaked out. I vowed then never to travel with my Martins. In fact, I was on the Unofficial Martin group looking for a beater guitar to travel with, when some smart soul said “You don’t need a beater guitar, you need a great case” Aha moment!! Since then, I take my custom shop Martin OM and my Authenics wherever I want without a thought. Absolutely no problems, no drama with a Hoffee case. Weight has never been an issue

1947 Martin 00-18G
1950 Martin 00-18 (birth year)
1965 Guild F-30 NT
1967 Gretsch Country Gentleman
1979 Martin E-18
1984 Martin D-28V Brazilian
2008 Gretsch Nashhville Classic
2009 Martin 0M-40 Madagascar custom sunburst
2010 Kirk Sand Classic custom nylon
2013 Martin D-18A 1939
2015 Martin 000-28C
2016 Martin D-28A 1941
Old 08-04-2020, 02:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayghost View Post
I have 2 Hoffee cases - one for my dreadnaughts and one for my 000/0M’s.
Both are excellent - reasonably light, extremely protective. Years ago, I lost
a Taylor guitar out of a roof pod on the Interstate. Guitar survived - standard Taylor case was destroyed. I was freaked out. I vowed then never to travel with my Martins. In fact, I was on the Unofficial Martin group looking for a beater guitar to travel with, when some smart soul said “You don’t need a beater guitar, you need a great case” Aha moment!! Since then, I take my custom shop Martin OM and my Authenics wherever I want without a thought. Absolutely no problems, no drama with a Hoffee case. Weight has never been an issue
Have you ever had an accident with the Hoffee? I have a couple too and I really like them, but so far I have (fortunately) not seen how they go when an accident happens!
Old 11-02-2021, 12:09 AM

Talking Calton

Calton is too good. The materials, the weight, the service, the color options, the finish options….. they can’t be beat.
Calton blows Hoffee and Ameritage out of the water!

Last edited by nyoung808; 11-02-2021 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Add and fix
Old 11-02-2021, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

I know this is a resurrected "Dinosaur thread", but hey! I'm a dinosaur too, at this point!

I don't really understand all the statements about Calton's being "heavy"... I had one for my Goodall and it was just a fraction heavier than a standard hardshell case; not lightweight, but I didn't pay for that! It was not unwieldy in the slightest.

Since then, I've sold that Goodall and gotten a different Goodall which came with a deluxe Ameritage case... now, THAT THING is a steamer-trunk! I can't believe how heavy it is; even with the guitar out of the case, it's still incredibly heavy! Plus, it is not even close to a "flight case"...

I'd happily get rid of it and have either another Calton, or just a standard hardshell case...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 11-02-2021, 12:52 PM

I have one of each, both are good.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I know this is a resurrected "Dinosaur thread", but hey! I'm a dinosaur too, at this point!

I don't really understand all the statements about Calton's being "heavy"... I had one for my Goodall and it was just a fraction heavier than a standard hardshell case; not lightweight, but I didn't pay for that! It was not unwieldy in the slightest.

Since then, I've sold that Goodall and gotten a different Goodall which came with a deluxe Ameritage case... now, THAT THING is a steamer-trunk! I can't believe how heavy it is; even with the guitar out of the case, it's still incredibly heavy! Plus, it is not even close to a "flight case"...

I'd happily get rid of it and have either another Calton, or just a standard hardshell case...
I agree, both are heavy.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:08 PM

I have a Calton case, weighs a little over 17 lbs empty. It holds my Ryan Nightingale. Due to the weight, using the shoulder strap to carry is not feasible, way too heavy, bulky, and awkward. I love the case, but It isn’t something I’d want to carry long distances. The problem is, it is so nice, I wouldn’t want to scuff it. Odd, I know, but I don’t plan to take it on a plane.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
calton cases, hoffee cases