The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2020, 03:46 PM

I've made two online, used guitar purchases that were not as described. One from eBay and one from the AGF. I donated the eBay guitar and still have the other one, which resides in its case in the back of a closet.
I will never buy another online used guitar from a private seller unless I know them personally.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

IMHO, the vast majority of online transactions are completed without a hitch, but due diligence is necessary, check eBay, Reverb, or whatever reviews, communicate with seller a few times before making any purchase, ask any questions you have (especially regarding the seller's return policy), and so forth. I prefer to go to established businesses vs individuals (be it on eBay, Reverb, etc.), but have purchased guitars from individuals as well. From my experience, the GOOD sellers have answered most (if not all) of my questions in their listing, and I just confirm in our conversations. If the listing is too brief, cursory, or appears suspect in any way I simply move on to other sellers. GOOD sellers are also likely to describe their packaging (at least somewhat) as they're trying to sell you, and this is a good sign. Cheers!
Old 02-19-2020, 07:13 PM

Bought used, sight unseen, one time. Guitar was perfect, but I wouldn't do it again. I remember now that he shipped based on a down payment, so lots of trust flowing both ways.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

LeChef - just curious, why wouldn't you buy online again?
Old 02-19-2020, 07:49 PM

Ive only had one bad experience and it wasnt with a guitar , but a mandolin
which actually straightened itself out with hydration -thou its not perfect
it plays ok and sounds great - and it was 300 , not 3000 - no big deal !
Old 02-20-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
LeChef - just curious, why wouldn't you buy online again?
Hello, W, I might buy a new Telecaster or a new Martin online from a dealer I knew. With Teles you know what you are getting, and little can go wrong that can't be fixed. Also you have a strong dealer as well as factory warranty that way.

I'm talking about buying an expensive acoustic guitar on Ebay or Reverb online from a stranger. Not worried about getting ripped off, but if you are disappointed with sound or neck shape, then you're stuck, or you have drama at a minimum. For a littte $150 used Yamaha steel string grabber to keep by the easy chair when a thought comes to you, sure, go for it. I would too but I already have one.

But the one I bought cost tons more than that and, while it's perfect, would I have bought it had I tried it first? Maybe, probably, but we'll never know. So it was folly, but he insured it to protect himself, and I agreed to pay only $500 in advance, protecting myself. I think we should all buy as locally as possible in order to try out the guitar first. There are millions of guitars out there in pretty easy driving distance to wherever you are.

Here's the one I bought, by the way, built by Dirk Traphagen. I know nobody outside of the classical world knows of him, but his new guitars cost around 10 grand. Which is why I bought second hand, LOL. I'm sure I can get my purchase price back if I decide not to leave it to my undeserving , unwashed heirs. Naw, I don't mean that ... one of them is a naval officer, a good guy and a good player.

https://www.traphagenguitars.com/gui...e/fs2_1117.jpg
Old 02-20-2020, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRon View Post
I've made two online, used guitar purchases that were not as described. One from eBay and one from the AGF. I donated the eBay guitar and still have the other one, which resides in its case in the back of a closet.
I will never buy another online used guitar from a private seller unless I know them personally.
What was the issue with the guitar you bought here on the AGF?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion