The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2019, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Default These Moon Landing Anniversary promotions have gone too far!

https://www.takamine.com/ltd2019

Actually, it looks pretty sweet, for what it is. Still, I think I'd rather have a '69...
Old 05-26-2019, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

What I remember about the moon landing, other than the landing itself, is … color tv. Our neighbor, the plumber, was the first in our neighborhood to have a color TV and we got to see the moon landing on it.

I suppose, since everybody has color tv today, a commemorative guitar might be in order as something a bit unique anyway.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-26-2019, 09:03 AM

The ebay seller antoniotsai has some great planet inlaid fretboards.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
What I remember about the moon landing, other than the landing itself, is … color tv. Our neighbor, the plumber, was the first in our neighborhood to have a color TV and we got to see the moon landing on it.

I suppose, since everybody has color tv today, a commemorative guitar might be in order as something a bit unique anyway.

Tony
I was 12 at the time. Can't remember if the set was color or B&W, but since the transmission from the moon was B&W it didn't really matter.

For the record, I'm still pissed that we haven't made it to Mars yet. Back in '69, a lot of us spaceheads were certain we'd have a Mars colony by 1999. Oh well...
Old 05-26-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
I was 12 at the time. Can't remember if the set was color or B&W, but since the transmission from the moon was B&W it didn't really matter.

For the record, I'm still pissed that we haven't made it to Mars yet. Back in '69, a lot of us spaceheads were certain we'd have a Mars colony by 1999. Oh well...
Back in '69, I was worried about the Martians coming here!
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:33 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:

I remember when a TV show was called "1999"

It was supposed to be the future.....

Well, I guess we sort of live in the future... Personal communicators, video chatting, doors that open like "whoosh"

I still need to open my beer, what's up with that?
Where's that food processor that just takes a push of a button and out it comes and in a beer glass to boot?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-26-2019, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

I was 14 at Emerald Bay, Catalina Island for a Boy Scout week long camp out. I remember it was a full moon, looking up from my pup tent at the astronauts. Caught a baby boar with a crude box and the mother came grunting loudly to retrieve it. Wish I had my Woolworth's Crown acoustic there. Maybe they should of had a merit badge for inlaying rosewood guitar necks?
Old 05-26-2019, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Yes, the moon video was black and white, but everything else was in color. I was 16 at the time and that was the first home that I saw that had color tv back then, and that did matter to me. If you had been a few years older, maybe that would have mattered to you too - or, different things are remembered by different people. I have always been interested in technology, and that is what color tv was to me at the time. Of course, a few years later, everybody had it, so by the time you were 16, it would not have been a big deal.

Back then I was quite interested in what was termed the "space race" between Russia and the US. I had a whole collection of newspaper and magazine articles about all aspects of that effort, as well as having built models of the various space craft. As I grew older, other things took over in my life and I pretty much lost track of the space program.

Sorry to hear that you are still pissed of we have not made it to Mars yet. That something you will likely never be able to resolve, and will therefore be completely dependent on somebody else to accomplish for you. Better to let it go and be concerned about that which you can control.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by tbeltrans; 05-26-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:17 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
whole collection of newspaper and magazine articles about all aspects of that effort, as well as having built models of the various space craft. As I grew older, other things took over in my life and I pretty much lost track of the space program.

Tony
I built a few - Mercury, Gemini, Saturn 5, Lunar Lander and then later, reluctantly, the space shuttle (not a fan of that program, but greatly admired what they accomplished).

I still get the Mars lander photos and telescope feeds into my instagram account.

I'm more of a "faster than light, wormhole kind of guy", than a Martian expedition fan. That's one thing I hope they figure out. Maybe they'll find out what's going on out there.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-26-2019, 01:52 PM

That is a beautiful guitar with very artistic inlay.

My brother and I camped out the night they landed. The full moon was wonderful. We had just watched the touch down on TV.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 05-26-2019, 01:59 PM

Neat idea for the guitar!

I was at summer camp in July 1969, and had been excitedly clipping newspaper stories about the mission. Saw the landing with a bunch of camp-mates on a tiny b/w tv that one of the counselors had. Inspired me to become a scientist. Thanks to my science career, I visited KSC for a science meeting in the 90's and got to go inside the orbiter Discovery - fulfilling my dream to be on a working spaceship. Full circle.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:05 PM

And there will be many who believe that this guitar never really happened... or was staged in a studio by Spielberg.

I was a young lad of nine during the moon landing and Apollo 11 mission, but had a long fascination with everything space related. In large part, that all influenced me to become an engineer and later a pilot. Takamine has always done a nice job with their annual special editions, and this one is probably quite nice too.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:06 PM

This thread should be moved.....to outer space!
Old 05-26-2019, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I built a few - Mercury, Gemini, Saturn 5, Lunar Lander and then later, reluctantly, the space shuttle (not a fan of that program, but greatly admired what they accomplished).

I still get the Mars lander photos and telescope feeds into my instagram account.

I'm more of a "faster than light, wormhole kind of guy", than a Martian expedition fan. That's one thing I hope they figure out. Maybe they'll find out what's going on out there.
You might want to check into Quantum Theory, Quantum Mechanics, and Quantum Computing. There is a lot of interesting stuff going on there, though much of it would require the background of a physicist to understand.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-26-2019, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

When Neil Armstrong took his first ‘small step’ on the moon, and it was on TV, I was playing in a band at a club near Doncaster, South Yorkshire. There were seven people in the club that night, of which four were the band and one was the bartender.

We played until the audience of two left for home, about 10pm. The guy wouldn’t pay us because we ‘hadn’t drawn a crowd’!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion