The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-16-2017, 02:29 PM

Default NUD new composite uke day

I received my Blackbird Farallon tenor ukulele in ekoa on Thursday afternoon, and played my first performance with it on Friday afternoon (Christmas carols at an Alzheimer's center). Mahalo to Ted and Helene at LA Guitar Sales for another flawless transaction. It even arrived a day earlier than expected, quite a surprise during this frenzied holiday season.

This is an awesome ukulele, and compares very nicely with my really good wooden ones. As usual for Blackbird, construction quality is top notch. The tone is a little more "forward" or "punchy" than our best Mya Moe handmade mahogany ukulele, but is quite nice in it's own way. We are calling it a "carbony" tone, much the same as the tone of Rainsong CH series is similar to yet different from quality wood guitars.

With this acquisition, my conversion to composites is complete. All of our guitar needs are met, and now there is a ukulele that can also travel without fear. Now it is a matter of selling off the wood instruments than require so much care and feeding. Speaking of which, at 35% RH in the house, it is time to add dampened sponges to the guitar cases this afternoon. I won't miss that chore, but I might miss some wooden tone on occasion.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new uke Earl !
Old 12-16-2017, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Photos? Congrats on this new uke and Mele Kalikimaka!
Old 12-16-2017, 03:38 PM

Congrats Earl, would love to see the pics.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 12-16-2017, 04:41 PM

Thanks everyone for the congratulatory words.

As I have often said before, it is too much hassle to post photos here at AGF. I know how (don't need instructions, thank you) I just don't want to bother wrestling with hosting services that I would never use anywhere except here. Kudos to those of you who have more patience than I. You can see the Farallon ukulele at:
https://www.blackbirdguitar.com/coll...-tenor-ukulele

or at the LA Guitar Sales site:
https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....r-ukulele.html
Old 12-16-2017, 07:30 PM
Guest 928

Earl;

Congratulations on a heritage musical instrument. This should serve you and many others through lifetimes of joy.

I'm with you on the posting of pictures and videos. I've done it, and I know that I should do it, but darned if can get up the enthusiasm--I'd rather tell than show.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:38 PM
Anticipation Junkie

That’s great, Earl! Glad you’re happy with the Farallon and that the transition you’ve been working toward is now complete. That said, could this mean that another Blackbird ekoa might be in your future at some point?

Here’s a pic of a Farallon...

Old 12-16-2017, 11:16 PM

I too own a Blackbird Ekoa Farallon Tenor Uke, to go along with my Emerald X7 and CA GX. Now the only instrument that I have to worry about in winter is my Gibson CS-356.

Being a long time CF owner I just knew when I got into ukes a year ago that I was going to eventually own a Farallon, so I just went ahead and ordered it right away. It's been fantastic. And yes, it does rather peek my interest in a Savoy to go with it. I get a kick out of telling the folks at the uke jams that my uke is made of linen.

And while there is nothing lacking with my Farallon, I am eagerly awaiting another CF uke of some type coming to the market. I've written to Emerald suggesting I would buy whatever they come up with, but nothing to speak of yet.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:55 AM

Congrats Earl, I know you have worked a long time towards this goal, glad you are finally there. Enjoy that nice little sibling of Savoy while the gas builds....
Old 12-17-2017, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your Farallon! I have one, too, and it is my "go to" travel instrument. Enjoy!
Old 12-17-2017, 01:45 PM

Congratulations! It looks good.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christens View Post
I too own a Blackbird Ekoa Farallon Tenor Uke, to go along with my Emerald X7 and CA GX. Now the only instrument that I have to worry about in winter is my Gibson CS-356.

Being a long time CF owner I just knew when I got into ukes a year ago that I was going to eventually own a Farallon, so I just went ahead and ordered it right away. It's been fantastic. And yes, it does rather peek my interest in a Savoy to go with it. I get a kick out of telling the folks at the uke jams that my uke is made of linen.

And while there is nothing lacking with my Farallon, I am eagerly awaiting another CF uke of some type coming to the market. I've written to Emerald suggesting I would buy whatever they come up with, but nothing to speak of yet.
Well, you could just remove the harp arm and have an extra large sound port with this
http://emeraldguitars.com/product/sy...v=ebe021079e5a

or . . . . just remove the harp strings and call it a good ;-)
Old 12-17-2017, 02:42 PM

That's an intriguing idea, AC. I sometimes play my U-bass at our ukulele group jams to set the pace. The group skews towards the beginner skill level in general, and there are often issues with tempo. Typically each song speeds up by 30-50% from the starting pace.

With one of these harp-ukes, you could do either -- although not likely both at the same time (which would take considerable playing skill AND the right keys for the tuning of the bass / harp strings).

Tommy: thanks for the photo. I'm pretty well set for composite guitars now, but that won't stop me from test playing the El Capitan and the Savoy next May at the Reno Uke Fest (Blackbird exhibits there every year).

Steve: LA Guitars still has a carbon fiber Blackbird tenor. It is a nice sounding instrument, although a bit non-traditional in appearance.
https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....tenor-uke.html
Old 12-17-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Thanks everyone for the congratulatory words.

As I have often said before, it is too much hassle to post photos here at AGF. I know how (don't need instructions, thank you) I just don't want to bother wrestling with hosting services that I would never use anywhere except here. Kudos to those of you who have more patience than I. You can see the Farallon ukulele at:
https://www.blackbirdguitar.com/coll...-tenor-ukulele

or at the LA Guitar Sales site:
https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....r-ukulele.html
That's really cool! Thanks for posting the links.
Have fun!
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 12-17-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Well, you could just remove the harp arm and have an extra large sound port with this
http://emeraldguitars.com/product/sy...v=ebe021079e5a

or . . . . just remove the harp strings and call it a good ;-)
That's the instrument that got me to suggest to Emerald that they make a harp uke without the harp part. Still waiting.........

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber