The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-22-2021, 03:30 AM

Default NGD aaaaagain!

Just couldn’t pass it up. Had to choose between a LTD M1000, and a 1998 Gibson SG Special with a SD PAF and Dimarzio Titan. Spent about an hour at my friend’s place trying them out, going back and forth, and having a very hard time deciding. I ended up with the Gibson, even though it wasn’t the greatest looking, but I just loved how that neck felt. It was refinished by an aspiring luthier in nitro and some secret catalyst he didn’t want to disclose. Serial number is partially hidden under the finish, but it’s a real Gibson for sure.

Now I don’t know if I made the right choice. The LTD is a good 17 years newer, it’s in showroom condition, the EMG pickups are right down my alley of heavy metal, it has a hard case, and that neck is fantastic. But the SG is a classic, it’s a jack of all trades, it has the right name on the headstock, and I really dig the vintage chunky neck. Oh and those pickups sound great too. Anyway here she is, I’ll take better pics this weekend.

Old 10-22-2021, 04:20 AM

Congrats on a sweet SG! Not knowing you personally I would still say you made the right choice: classy SGs will always be classy SGs, whereas the LTD, as good as it is, is not top of the line ESP and looks like a thousand other super-Strat clones.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 10-22-2021, 08:56 AM

As someone who listens to metal but doesn’t play metal, it’s always puzzled me that SGs are not more widely used in the genre (except in doom metal and stoner metal where they are ubiquitous).

I understand that a lot of metal lead guitarists want a Floyd, but for heavy riffs and rhythm, it seems like the SG is perfect. I mean, Tony Iommi played one, and Randy Rhoads often played a Les Paul, which is like the older brother to the SG.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:24 AM

Default NGD aaaaagain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
As someone who listens to metal but doesn’t play metal, it’s always puzzled me that SGs are not more widely used in the genre (except in doom metal and stoner metal where they are ubiquitous).

I understand that a lot of metal lead guitarists want a Floyd, but for heavy riffs and rhythm, it seems like the SG is perfect. I mean, Tony Iommi played one, and Randy Rhoads often played a Les Paul, which is like the older brother to the SG.
This guitar is definitely a metal guitar, especially with that super hot PAF on the bridge. And that Titan really sing for leads. This guitar can do anything, really. First thing did when I got home was stomp on my muff and play some paranoid. [emoji4]

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Congrats on a sweet SG! Not knowing you personally I would still say you made the right choice: classy SGs will always be classy SGs, whereas the LTD, as good as it is, is not top of the line ESP and looks like a thousand other super-Strat clones.

It’s the main reason why I didn’t go with the pretty LTD. I already have strats and metal super Strats. The purple Majesty you see in the background has the metal lead guitar with floating bridge covered. The LTD felt like something I already have, the SG felt like something I’ve never tried before.

Last edited by 1neeto; 10-22-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:52 PM

Fantastic! I think you made the right choice getting an SG. I use mine for metal all the time.

I'm assuming that the SD PAF is the '59? That's a fantastic pickup and I have a couple of them. I'm not familiar with the Titan. Which one is in the bridge?
Old 10-22-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Fantastic! I think you made the right choice getting an SG. I use mine for metal all the time.

I'm assuming that the SD PAF is the '59? That's a fantastic pickup and I have a couple of them. I'm not familiar with the Titan. Which one is in the bridge?

Bridge is the SD. Previous owner said it’s 18k ohms. Maybe he meant 8k? I’m not sure if SD makes a PAF that hot.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Bridge is the SD. Previous owner said it’s 18k ohms. Maybe he meant 8k? I’m not sure if SD makes a PAF that hot.
The '59's resistance is just over 8k. It's a fantastic pickup for rock and even hard rock (and other genres as well). I've played metal on it but nothing near nu metal.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Cool guitar! Congratulations!

- Glenn
Old 10-23-2021, 02:51 PM

Thanks guys. Made a fun video, really like this guitar, I think she’s a keeper.

https://youtu.be/yp_aLW-RxZk
Old 10-23-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys. Made a fun video, really like this guitar, I think she’s a keeper.

https://youtu.be/yp_aLW-RxZk
Happy Birthday Juan! For you, I'm going to play Paranoid .

It's obvious you're having a great time playing your SG in the video. It'll give you something different than your other guitars, especially with the '59. You'll have to play some AC/DC tunes.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Is the SG the Gibson Les Paul players should really have wanted or do they just like bending over backward and upside down just to get those high notes? Just to show I'm an acrobat, I like Les Pauls!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-23-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Happy Birthday Juan! For you, I'm going to play Paranoid .

It's obvious you're having a great time playing your SG in the video. It'll give you something different than your other guitars, especially with the '59. You'll have to play some AC/DC tunes.

Thanks! Yeah this guitar feels so different to my others, including the Les Paul. I kinda get the SG appeal now. I can’t believe I never played one before.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Is the SG the Gibson Les Paul players should really have wanted or do they just like bending over backward and upside down just to get those high notes? Just to show I'm an acrobat, I like Les Pauls!

[emoji1787] yeah this guitar has better upper fret access than my Les Paul.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks! Yeah this guitar feels so different to my others, including the Les Paul. I kinda get the SG appeal now. I can’t believe I never played one before.
I love both my Les Pauls and SGs. They each give something a little different tone-wise and ergonomic-wise. You've got a great Special.

I just bought a Perri’s suede strap for my SG and it resolves the slight neck dive that it has. Just in case you encounter something similar, you want a strap that doesn't move on your shoulder (not a nylon strap). Suede is what you want.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I love both my Les Pauls and SGs. They each give something a little different tone-wise and ergonomic-wise. You've got a great Special.

I just bought a Perri’s suede strap for my SG and it resolves the slight neck dive that it has. Just in case you encounter something similar, you want a strap that doesn't move on your shoulder (not a nylon strap). Suede is what you want.

Thanks for the advice. I dug in my strap drawer and only had one left, and it’s an old nylon dickies which is not the greatest because it’s skinny and nylon. I’m not a fan of strap buttons mounted on the neck joint, but I think a nice leather strap will keep the guitar nice and stable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars