The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2021, 09:38 AM

Default NGD Recording King RD-318

Because i needed a guitar to take to vacation and out of curiosity on this model i bougt this from Thomann, and it arrived today.
I´ve read good reviews and i must say they are true, for $640 i am surpriced. I put on some EJ17´s ( came with EJ16 ) It sounds good, plays good and loud right from the start. The nut and saddleheight are fine. I will give it a closer setup and the bridgepinholes needs to be reamed a bit, minor gluespots otherwise everything is fine. The mahogany on this is nicer than on my d18
Solid adi, solid african mahogany back/side/neck.

Last edited by kizz; 09-20-2021 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:48 AM

Congratulations on an excellent choice. I also have an RD 318 and I was completely surprised by the quality of the woods used in the guitar. I cannot tell by the photos just what grade of Mahogany that your instrument is made of. Please let me know, is mine a fluke or do they make all of these guitars out of high grade wood? The Mahogany is fantastic on my guitar. Even the neck has some very nice figured Mahogany and only tigers and zebras have better stripes than the sides and back of my guitar.

However, all is not milk and honey in the land of Recording King. I am experiencing a very strange kind of “fret buzz”. It happens on the “B” string at the third fret (a pretty important point when you play 99% bluegrass and 75% of that is in the key of G Maj). Rather than hijack your post I’ll post that topic separately.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comeaux View Post
Congratulations on an excellent choice. I also have an RD 318 and I was completely surprised by the quality of the woods used in the guitar. I cannot tell by the photos just what grade of Mahogany that your instrument is made of. Please let me know, is mine a fluke or do they make all of these guitars out of high grade wood? The Mahogany is fantastic on my guitar. Even the neck has some very nice figured Mahogany and only tigers and zebras have better stripes than the sides and back of my guitar.

However, all is not milk and honey in the land of Recording King. I am experiencing a very strange kind of “fret buzz”. It happens on the “B” string at the third fret (a pretty important point when you play 99% bluegrass and 75% of that is in the key of G Maj). Rather than hijack your post I’ll post that topic separately.
I have no idea about the grade, do not expect much but it sure looks fine.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:18 PM

That's a great-looking dread, and for the money? Sheesh! You've got my curiosity up!
Old 09-20-2021, 01:26 PM

I played one at my local GC and was very impressed. The finish appeared very thick, but aside from that, I couldn't really fault it.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Hi Jan,

Nice guitar, especially for a vacation guitar! Good for you!

- Glenn
Old 09-21-2021, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Looks great!
congrats and have fun

madhat.
Old 09-21-2021, 05:32 PM

I have one too (also from Thomann), go Team RD-318.

still not completely decided on the best strings for her yet. The Adirondack top is gorgeous.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion