The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-05-2021, 10:36 AM

Default My Experience with Amplified Sound and Sunnaudio

I’ve recently been lurking on the Amplification section of the forum, reading with great interest the comments around DI’s, preamps, amps, PA’s and the like. Obviously, a wealth of information here and thanks to all who contribute. Based on a few of the recent favorable posts, I reached out to Sunnaudio about there DI-2 and M-2 offerings, and ended up ordering the DI-2. It was at my door in a couple of days.

I ended up spending some time with Sunny prior to it arriving to describe my current situation. Admittedly, though I gig every week, I was unsettled with my sound. I was using the Baggs Venue, and also separately and in conjunction with a Radial Firefly tube DI. When using them together, my chain was K&K Pure Mini (with volume wheel, which I love), Venue – Firefly – to a Bose Tonematch L1S, or an AER 60. All of these products came from various recommendations from friends. The Firefly was to fatten/warm up the sound, and while I got questions about “what is that yellow box for”, not a lot of comments on the sound. Not knocking either of those products, btw, both have performed extremely well.

Sunny advised me to put all that to the side and go into the DI-2 straight into the Tonematch on the Bose. He was generous with his time, he spent over a half hour answering my questions.

I got the Prestine in and raced upstairs to plug it in and see what all the fuss was about. It came right up and I started playing and my jaw dropped. Such a clean, clear sound. No noise. A little dialing in, but mostly everything flat. It was the proverbial “music to my ears”. When I gigged with it a couple days ago, I had four separate folks come up to tell my how good the guitar sounded. I just pointed to the little DI on the floor. A lot of times you don’t know if what you are hearing is what the audience is hearing. I have finally found my sound!

I’d like to try a Dazzo pickup, though all my guitars currently have the K&K. Maybe it could get even better, who knows, but for now, all I can say is thank you Sunny for your time and your products – he’s even got a simple modification he’s going to make based on my feedback, and I love supporting the boutique makers in this industry.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:44 AM

Yup. My MS-2 isn't going anywhere. Such a great little box that does everything I need simply. Set and forget stuff is on dip switches, everything I'd touch at a gig is right there in front of me and it's super flexible in terms of how you can set it up. And it sounds great!

Combine all that with Sunny's great customer service, and it's a purchase I've been very happy with.

Congrats on your new DI btw.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:02 AM

Well, I'm sure one of your earlier posts about this helped sway me to reach out to them, so thank you! Couldn't be happier, and I might go for an MS-2 at some point, since I like to use 2 guitars. Considering a passive ABY box on the front end for that for now.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:12 AM

I know the feel of finally get close to what we wanna hear about our amplified tone.

I'm getting there as well, my friend!

Sunnaudio stuff seems to be really great. As far as I see things here, Sunnaudio preamps are as regarded as the Grace Design ones here, at AGF. I never had any of them, but I will (just waiting for the Felix2 be available at Sweetwater again and I'll finally pull the trigger)!

As far as the K&K and Dazzo, I had both (still use K&K), and both can sound GREAT, as far as you have a good preamp (and it seems you already have one). Teddy is a great guy, just be sure to talk to him so he can indicate the better Dazzo model for your instrument.

Congratulations on your new gear, my friend!

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 08-05-2021, 11:16 AM

What's the modification? He said he's going to add a low battery indicator and also make the power LED be active for power supplies as low 9.6V.

I would like an easy way to change out the battery as I'm afraid of the battery going dead on me. It would be great to have an automatic battery shutoff based on lack of activity. Right now if you have a cable plugged into the input, the battery is being drained unless you have a power supply plugged in. I carry a lithium battery pack with me just in case. The battery pack is good for 450 hours. Sunny sent me stuff to modify the battery pack cable so I could plug it in. I had to reverse the polarity and clamp the output voltage to 12V.

I think the service from Sunny and Mark is great.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 08-05-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAPANDELO View Post
I know the feel of finally get close to what we wanna hear about our amplified tone.

I'm getting there as well, my friend!

Sunnaudio stuff seems to be really great. As far as I see things here, Sunnaudio preamps are as regarded as the Grace Design ones here, at AGF. I never had any of them, but I will (just waiting for the Felix2 be available at Sweetwater again and I'll finally pull the trigger)!

As far as the K&K and Dazzo, I had both (still use K&K), and both can sound GREAT, as far as you have a good preamp (and it seems you already have one). Teddy is a great guy, just be sure to talk to him so he can indicate the better Dazzo model for your instrument.

Congratulations on your new gear, my friend!
Thanks! I looked at the Grace line as well, I am sure it is top shelf also, but it looked a little intimidating to me - at least the Felix. I find myself getting bogged down with all the knobs and stuff to tweak and probably not having a good enough ear to really tell the difference. I just know what I like when I hear it!
Old 08-05-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
What's the modification? He said he's going to add a low battery indicator and also make the power LED be active for power supplies as low 9.6V.

I would like an easy way to change out the battery as I'm afraid of the battery going dead on me. It would be great to have an automatic battery shutoff based on lack of activity. Right now if you have a cable plugged into the input, the battery is being drained unless you have a power supply plugged in. I carry a lithium battery pack with me just in case. The battery pack is good for 450 hours. Sunny sent me stuff to modify the battery pack cable so I could plug it in. I had to reverse the polarity and clamp the output voltage to 12V.

I think the service from Sunny and Mark is great.
I was having trouble figuring out why I couldn't get the 9V phantom power on my AER to power the Prestine, and it's because the channel only supports instrument cable and not XLR. So the light indicator that you mention is basically the same issue, it sounds like you figured that out first...At least the a lithium battery should last for 60 hours or so and I try not to forget to unplug the line in, and I have 48 Phantom on my Tonematch. The only other thing I think would be cool is a small carrying case for it, I told Sunny I was looking for something else to buy from them!
Old 08-05-2021, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the world of quality parts mated to good design. I am certain you would like the Dazzo/Sunnaudio combo. I have six Dazzos.

Every week, until we thought it prudent to suspend live activities again, our open mic has used a custom SunnAudio blender in a box Sunny was kind enough to make for us. Just two inputs, a blend and volume knob, and an XLR output, it has made every guitar sound better. We can plug basses or even electric guitars into it. It's the quality of the gain stage, broad band and linear, that kicks even the cheap UST guitars up a notch or two.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-05-2021, 06:33 PM

I put my pristine DI2 to use this weekend at an outdoor event. It was prefect with K&K.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Welcome to the world of quality parts mated to good design. I am certain you would like the Dazzo/Sunnaudio combo. I have six Dazzos.

Every week, until we thought it prudent to suspend live activities again, our open mic has used a custom SunnAudio blender in a box Sunny was kind enough to make for us. Just two inputs, a blend and volume knob, and an XLR output, it has made every guitar sound better. We can plug basses or even electric guitars into it. It's the quality of the gain stage, broad band and linear, that kicks even the cheap UST guitars up a notch or two.
Yes, I continue to be impressed. Blender in a Box! Like it.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:21 PM

Yes, it does not get any better than Sunnaudio and Grace Felix. Playing multiple instruments on stage I use them side by side and love them all: Felix, MS-2, DI-2 Prestine
And Sunny's customer service is awesome.
Long time user of Pendulum SPS-1 by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 08-06-2021, 05:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

We received this today from Kim P (engineer for Tommy Emmanuel) about her MS-2:

"Gig number 1, true stereo, WOW…the guitar sounded beautiful!"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5675.jpg (44.9 KB, 349 views)
Old 08-07-2021, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBySix View Post
Yes, I continue to be impressed. Blender in a Box! Like it.
We get the occasional duo, and we can run both into the blender and easily balance the volume of each, plus get the great SunnAudio sound.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-23-2021, 10:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Talking Stage DI and Stage DI-2 Prestine on Sale

There's a new version of the Stage DI-2 Prestine coming soon!

For those who are interested, check out the original Stage DI and current Stage DI-2 Prestine that are now on Sale. Generous discount, limited quantities.

https://sunnaudio.com/products/bkbmz...bwlz2x4le7ullp
https://sunnaudio.com/products/stage-di

Cheers,
Sunny

Last edited by sunnaudio; 08-23-2021 at 10:50 AM. Reason: error in link
Old 09-18-2021, 11:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default New Stage DI-2 Prestine

The new version of the Stage DI-2 is now available.

This version improves usability with top mounted controls for Mid-Frequency adjustment, LED power monitor and premium satin matte finish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DI-2b Top Pic.jpg (20.1 KB, 263 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification