The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-22-2021, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Default He Played Real Good for Free by Joni Mitchell (cover)

This song from Joni Mitchell has always spoken to me. I remember so clearly once during a visit to Chicago where an incredibly good young violinist was playing Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" on the corner in front of the Art Institute with all the traffic and noise on Michigan Ave. Just like Joni Mitchell in this song, I meant to let him know how much I appreciated his playing, but the signal changed and I had a very important engagement to get to. So, regrettably, I passed his music by....

The guitar is my Gerald Sheppard GA Ave Maria in standard tuning, with John Pearse PB light gauge strings installed. Joni Mitchell played this song in the key of C on the piano. I transposed the song for a male voice to the key of G, and I tried to suggest some of Joni's piano playing in how I played my accompaniment here.

Thank you for listening!

- Glenn
Old 10-22-2021, 01:50 PM

Really enjoyed that. One of my favorite albums. Covers are really meaningful, when we have a personal story behind them. You played a nice version "for free".
Old 10-22-2021, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westview View Post
Really enjoyed that. One of my favorite albums. Covers are really meaningful, when we have a personal story behind them. You played a nice version "for free".
Thank you Westview!

I'm so pleased that you thought this came out well!

This is one of those songs that was meaningful to me the first time I ever heard Joni Mitchell sing it! David Crosby has commented when performing this song that he "likes what it says." And that's how I feel about it, too. I think this is one of her best songs.

Thanks so much for taking time to offer encouragement and support! I hope all is well for you these days!

- Glenn
Old 10-22-2021, 07:32 PM

Always loved that song, and from experience I know what you'll bring to it.

Very nice playing and your vocal really delivers the song's message/feeling.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-22-2021, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Always loved that song, and from experience I know what you'll bring to it.

Very nice playing and your vocal really delivers the song's message/feeling.
Thank you very much, Frank!

I'm so glad you like this song and feel that I did good job in covering it!

I remember hearing David Crosby play this years ago. At the time I tried to work out my own arrangement, but I was not satisfied with what I came up with. So I was lucky this time around where I came up with something that sounded right to me. Maybe in spite of my age, I'm a better player than I was 15-20 years ago. Who knows. You hope to keep learning...

Thanks for taking the time to watch and for your kind comments! It's much appreciated!

I hope all is well for you! Take care!

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 10-23-2021 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:20 AM

Default You learn something new every day...

if you're not REAL careful!

I've loved this song for a long time but I only knew it as a Hoyt Axton tune. Thanks for expanding my musical universe a bit!
Old 10-23-2021, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

You had me at 'Joni Mitchell' ...ha! Well done Glenn! Thanks, Dan
Old 10-23-2021, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpurser View Post
if you're not REAL careful!

I've loved this song for a long time but I only knew it as a Hoyt Axton tune. Thanks for expanding my musical universe a bit!
Thank you JM!

How wonderful to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!

I had no idea that Hoyt Axton had covered this song... Interesting!

I see this is your first post on the AGF! Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you are here and hope you enjoy the experience and camaraderie.

- Glenn
Old 10-23-2021, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedartop52 View Post
You had me at 'Joni Mitchell' ...ha! Well done Glenn! Thanks, Dan
Hi Dan!

Thanks so much for your comments! They are much appreciated!

Joni Mitchell has written some great songs over the years. This is probably not one of her better known ones, but it's one that jumped out at me the first time I heard it. I think some of Joni Mitchell's music will still be listened to 100 years from now. Maybe some of her music, some of Bob Dylan's, perhaps a few others.

I hope all is well for you, Dan! Thanks so much for taking time to offer support!

- Glenn
Old 10-23-2021, 04:49 PM

Glenn, I have no reference point upon which to base a comment on this, except that you always do such a fine job on your performances. I was not a Joni Mitchell fan for some reason, and have never heard this song to my knowledge. I had nothing against her music, I just didn’t listen to her for some reason.

I enjoyed your guitar work and vocals as always, Glenn, just don’t know the music.

Rb
Old 10-23-2021, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

What's the matter, Glenn... can't you play the clarinet?

That's wonderful. I've always enjoyed that tune... and such a great album.

I've spent enough time walking major cities to have been moved by several street players. I always enjoyed that experience. Thanks for bringing back a wonderful song and reminding me of many good times.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Glenn, I have no reference point upon which to base a comment on this, except that you always do such a fine job on your performances. I was not a Joni Mitchell fan for some reason, and have never heard this song to my knowledge. I had nothing against her music, I just didn’t listen to her for some reason.

I enjoyed your guitar work and vocals as always, Glenn, just don’t know the music.

Rb
Hi Roger,

Thanks for taking the time to lend support!

It seemed that a lot of people around me in college were Joni Mitchell fans, so I was exposed to a lot of her music. I grew to greatly appreciate her lyrics and her subject matter, very poetic stuff, I thought. And my wife also appreciated Joni Mitchell, Judy Collings, Carla Bonoff, too. And there were Bonni Raitt and Linda Ronstadt, more blues and rock and roll oriented.

I listened to male singers with the idea of coming up with music to perform, but I listened to women just to try to understand their messages.

Either way, I'm glad you appreciated my guitar playing and singing. I do think it's a thought provoking song.

I hope all is well for you and your wife and family. Be well.

- Glenn
Old 10-23-2021, 06:08 PM

Hard not to like Joni.
Gail.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder Gail View Post
Hard not to like Joni.
Gail.
Thank you Gail! I appreciate your watching and your taking time to comment!

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 10-25-2021, 06:43 PM

Thank you for that, Willow. One of the top ten songs of my youth and you did it a solid justice. I liked your story lead in also. Spending twenty years of my career working in Manhattan I had the opportunity hearing street performers almost daily. Solid, musical players you couldn’t believe weren’t famous based on their skills. This song couldn’t hit closer to home for me, having been so much a part of my daily routine coming and going in and out of the city. Thanks again, Glenn.
frank d.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell