The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-08-2021, 05:00 PM

I have the Gretsch G5420TG-OS 50S LTD, it came with Gold hardware which if I had the choice I would rather not have. At the time the G5420TG models were very light on the ground here in Australia and that was available.

A stunning guitar and yes I agree with the OP when he says the clarity of its sound is exceptional.

I normally play one of me Teles or Strats, and the Gretsch feels quite big under my arm

But a beautiful guitar

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

This a great, informative thread but I have a question: Have these models ever been offered with a more substantial neck profile and wider nut width? Each time I get one in my hands I am amazed at how nice they are but the necks feel like a pencil in my hands. Too much time with the 1 3/4" nut widths and beefy neck profiles on my acoustics have made it tough for me when I play these otherwise fine guitars.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
... Have these models ever been offered with a more substantial neck profile and wider nut width?...Too much time with the 1 3/4" nut widths and beefy neck profiles on my acoustics have made it tough for me when I play these otherwise fine guitars.
They haven't, and you probably have - in fact my 2015 3-PU 5622T has a neck that's just marginally fuller than my original Brooklyn '64 Double Annie, a difference that could well have existed as a simple production variation back in the day. While you're not going to get a 1-3/4" neck on any current Gretsch, a few years back there was a very limited-edition Chinese-made double-cut E-matic Duo-Jet, with dual split-top Filter'Trons, gold hardware, and a '63 Jet Firebird red/black finish (absolutely stunning in person, but good luck finding one) that used a 1-3/4" width, IMO to differentiate it from not only the Japanese-made Professional Series version but the Brooklyn originals. In addition, a number of the Pro-Series instruments have a fairly substantial '50s-style 1-11/16" neck (highly anachronistic in the case of the '60s reissues) that might work for you - and if you're an outside-the-box player with $3-4K to spend on a hollow/semi, I'd sooner lay down my bucks on one of these than a Gibson ES or any number of clones...
Old 10-20-2021, 08:47 AM

Congrats on the Gretsch discovery!

Before you know it, you'll be signing up over at Gretsch-Talk and diving off into the deep end! LoL - See ya there!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars