The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-10-2021, 01:38 PM

Default Half set vs full set strings

This may be a funny question… how many of you use half sets and only replace half your strings? If so are you more likely to replace the bass or the trebles? Sorry, it is not obvious to me.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 10-10-2021, 02:02 PM

The bass string wraps wear much faster than the solid treble strings, hence the players who replace the bass sets in between full set changes.

I don't see a lot of value in doing that because treble sets aren't generally as pricey as bass sets and there are other mitigating factors that cause trebles to intonate poorly even though they may sound fine tonally.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:44 AM

Hello Jayhawk,

The bass strings wear out faster than the treble as indicated by Rudy, especially if you are using so-called ''carbon'' trebles. Basses strings starts to become duller and dead after 40 hours of play.

I often buy treble and bass separately but for another reason; I find the Savarez Cantiga basses amazing but I'm not a fan of their treble so I often combine with Knobloch Cx, Hannabach 815, La Bella Vivace, etc.

Good day,

https://www.youtube.com/c/AntoinePansera
Old 10-11-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
This may be a funny question… how many of you use half sets and only replace half your strings? If so are you more likely to replace the bass or the trebles? Sorry, it is not obvious to me.
The "half set" is not only for replacing half of the set (I myself always replace the full set).

It is also to mix string tensions. For example, I know a guitarist who use high-tension bass strings and medium treble strings. Some string manufactures offer this option, some don't.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Strings lose intonation as they age. If you are changing strings because of how long they have been on the guitar (versus say a single string that broke) I'd replace the whole set.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-12-2021, 02:13 PM

Thanks guys. Since the strings I use, Hannanbach Goldin, are quite spendy (at least for me) I was wondering about the logic of using half sets. Your insights help a bunch.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 10-14-2021, 09:27 AM

How long do the classical guitar stings last as oppose to steel string guitar strings? I change my steel strings once a month. I play both daily, usually twice a day.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 10-14-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
How long do the classical guitar stings last as oppose to steel string guitar strings?
I've read recommendations ranging from 3 weeks to a year!

I have 3 classical guitars. At the beginning of each month, I replace the strings on one of them.

I buy strings in bulks: about $70/10sets. I give up 2 cups of coffee a month for the strings.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:22 AM

Do manufacturers actually sell half sets, as I think there may be demand for this? Or do you just buy single wound strings, or full sets and hoard the plain strings?
Old 10-14-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
Do manufacturers actually sell half sets, as I think there may be demand for this?
Some do.

Here's an example of half sets:

La Bella 2001 Light Tension Classical Guitar Strings

Here's another example, and also an example of mixed-tension sets:

Augustine Imperial Black Classical Guitar Strings

Quote: "you'll love Augustine's Imperial Black set of classical guitar strings, which pairs medium tension trebles with low tension basses."
Old 10-14-2021, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
Do manufacturers actually sell half sets, as I think there may be demand for this? Or do you just buy single wound strings, or full sets and hoard the plain strings?
Yes, many of them do.
I've been buying half sets for as long as I can remember. I do it mostly because after experimenting extensively, I have yet to find a manufacturer's complete set in which the trebles and basses are as good as the basses and trebles from different manufacturers I've come to prefer.
Plus, I tend to switch out basses more frequently than trebles.
With nylon strings, experimentation is the key, as is personal taste. It's something you have to determine on your own for the best results. If you just go by what someone else does or tells you, you might be shortchanging yourself. Add to that all the tensions they come in, which can also be mixed and matched, and you just have to bite the bullet and find the recipe that serves you and your guitar the best.
And if you have more than one guitar, the preferred strings on each may also differ. Just one of those things.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 10-14-2021, 02:25 PM

I used to do the half sets and still have some left. Once I started using NylGut strings though I change the whole set. The idea is that the treble strings finally age out to a point where they are nice and hard and fully stretched out so you can ride that for a while, much longer then the bass strings. NylGut from my experience is almost good to go from the start.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical