The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-10-2021, 10:22 AM

Default Does this classical guitar exist?

Here are approximations for some key characteristics. I am flexible. I have learned that when the playability synergy is favorable, I can be surprised at how I can manage with a specific dimension that I usually find to be difficult.

Lower bout width – 13.5 – 14.5 in.
Lower bout depth – 3.5 – 4.0 in.
Nut – 48 mm. (1 & 7/8 in)
Scale – 345 mm. (25 in.)
Fretboard – Flat, no radius
Truss Rod – Yes
Price – $4,000

I have found deviations from the classical 650mm scale and 52mm nut mostly in two brands: Kenny Hill and Cordoba. I have played quite a few of both brands.

I came close to buying a used Cordoba Torres: https://www.cordobaguitars.com/guitars/torres/

The frustrating thing was that it checked most of the boxes. It had almost everything, but the 51mm nut felt too big.

The Cordoba Esteso also seems to hit most boxes:
https://www.cordobaguitars.com/guitars/esteso-cd-2/

I have never played one, but it has the 650mm/52mm dimensions.
Is there any way to order a Cordoba with a modification?

Is there anywhere else that offers some deviation to the standard classical dimensions?

Looking forward to the wisdom of the group!
Old 10-10-2021, 12:28 PM

At that price point you should be able to get a luthier to build to your specs.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwink View Post
At that price point you should be able to get a luthier to build to your specs.
Thanks for the response.

I have looked at so many instruments. I can usually find off the shelf instruments that have one or two variations on the classical design. But finding one with all of the variations in one instrument seems impossible.

I think I will start putting my efforts into finding a luthier willing to build a custom.

Thanks again.
Old 10-10-2021, 03:33 PM

You listed 345mm for the scale--did you mean 645? That would be closer to 25". 640mm is pretty common these days, but I haven't seen many 645. I think the 48mm nut is probably the major challenge if you're looking off the shelf. It's more common in crossover instruments, but less so in concert classical guitars. Narrower spacing can cause problems with certain repertoire where there are multiple voices going at once (e.g., Bach), but of course it depends on individual hand/finger sizes, technique, etc.

You might be able to find a Cervantes Crossover with 640 scale, possibly the Hill Performance Crossover as well. In general, if you search for nylon string guitars with "crossover" in the model name, it's likely a narrower nut. Truss rods in nylon guitars has been debated ad nauseum. FWIW, I don't find it necessary--I've owned (and own) several top notch classical guitars, none of which have had truss rods. It has never been an issue. But if it's a feature you really want, then you'll again likely find it in a crossover since those are designed for the broader acoustic market where people are accustomed to that feature.

Depending on where you're located in NY, maybe reach out to Andy Culpepper and see what he can do if you want to go the custom route. Good luck!
Old 10-10-2021, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Depending on where you're located in NY, maybe reach out to Andy Culpepper and see what he can do if you want to go the custom route. Good luck!
Thanks so much for the additional feedback! Yes, I made a mistake on the scale. I meant 635mm (25 in.).

I'm not a trained classical guitarist. I'm learning a new repertoire now, so this is exciting.

I see Andy C. is in the Finger Lakes region. I'll keep him in mind.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-10-2021 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
Old 10-10-2021, 06:09 PM

Looking at the other dimensions you posted, you may also want to look into "early Romantic" guitars. I'd suggest replicas vs. originals. They tend to be smaller all around, with 635/48 being not uncommon. These tend to be built a bit differently than modern classical guitars, so the resulting tone may or may not be your cup of tea.

There are also builders/companies who make guitars in the style of the early Torres guitars, which are smaller. Search for FE17 and FE18 (FE = First Epoch in reference to Torres). These can pack quite a punch if built well, and tonally are a bit closer to the modern sound, though the smaller body will by necessity lose some low end oomph.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Looking at the other dimensions you posted, you may also want to look into "early Romantic" guitars.
Oh yes! I love the look of the Romantic era instruments. I have actually played some of the Panormo models. I know what you mean. The ones I played were really tiny, and just didn't have the rich sound of a classical.

I found the Guitar Salon International in California:
https://www.guitarsalon.com/?gclid=C...MaAjP6EALw_wcB

They have some beautiful instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical