The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-20-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
...A little heavy on the reverb, but blame the architect. This is plectrum style at its finest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
...could you really imagine something like the Concierto de Aranjuez (1939) having been written for anything but the Spanish/classical guitar?...
Yes, I can - and but for Segovia, a taste of what might have been...
Old 09-20-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Yes, I can - and but for Segovia, a taste of what might have been...
Yeah, well, hmmm. The guitar sounds great of course, the performance is admirable but I'm too much of a puritan to be able to listen to this for the music.

This music. I have no problems with the use of any kind of instrument in classical music that was written for it (certainly not as long as it's original music, not a rewrite of a famous existing work from a non-American composer of the past). In fact, I tend to see many compositions by the likes of Mike Dowling or David Laibman as (future) classical compositions. To me they're exactly in the same niche as Sor, Tarrega, Mertz and many of the beloved/staple classical guitar composers (I wonder if back in their day they were mostly seen as that, or rather as performers...!).

Use an archtop with composite (or gut + silk!) strings and classical/finger picking RH technique, and my objections disappear - I'm dreaming of such one even. I don't know though (hope not, actually) if such a guitar would ever sound like a piano, which appears to be the graal for many current-day classical guitarists.
FWIW: I have a love/hate relationship with steel strings but could easily imagine them being used in classical repertoire. A flatpick, much less; the only ones I can kind of stand are made out of ebony (and they wear too fast on steel strings).

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 09-20-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Talk is cheap. Here's one built by a friend of mine in Montreal, Guillaume Bettencourt (sp).

And here's where they came from. A little heavy on the reverb, but blame the architect. This is plectrum style at its finest.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
That Recuerdos is MINDBLOWING.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-20-2021, 02:14 PM

What's this about Concierto de Aranjuez played on something other than nylon strings?

Old 09-21-2021, 06:47 PM

That Rancourt archtop is INCREDIBLE!
Old 09-22-2021, 03:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
That Recuerdos is MINDBLOWING.
That's pretty funny, Mr.B!!!

Recuerdo(s)......means I remember, and I have no idea how to make it plural, pero me esposa es Colombiana, dig?

Anyway......the word you're looking for is Rasgueados, and yeah.......he's incredible!!

What's even funnier is me ignoring the title of the song altogether and thinking you were referring to his technique..........

My bad......

Buenas,
Howard

Last edited by Howard Emerson; 09-22-2021 at 04:05 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
That's pretty funny, Mr.B!!!

Recuerdo(s)......means I remember, and I have no idea how to make it plural, pero me esposa es Colombiana, dig?

Anyway......the word you're looking for is Rasgueados, and yeah.......he's incredible!!

What's even funnier is me ignoring the title of the song altogether and thinking you were referring to his technique..........

My bad......

Buenas,
Howard
Lol, no worries!

I actually want to watch that video closer...I've played recuerdos...slowly, with fingers...and I'm not even sure how it's possible with a pick...I guess in theory it is as no two notes are being sounded simultaneously...but...shucks...

Old 09-29-2021, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
What's this about Concierto de Aranjuez played on something other than nylon strings?
Who said anything about playing it on anything (http://www.stanthea.plus.com/stansmu...aranjuez.mid)?

Re-read my original comment...

FWIW, Rodrigo wrote this composition in 1939, it's not like he couldn't possibly have known good acoustic archtops or their use in/for classical music. But if you're a Spanish classical composer about to write something steeped in traditional Spanish music and for guitar, why would you write the guitar part with another instrument in mind?

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops