The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-07-2012, 09:25 AM

Default Getting a K&K mini western for my GC8! (Question about Preamp)

So, after a year of research, I have decided on getting a K&K mini western in my Taylor GC8. I plan on picking it up from the shop on Saturday and installing it myself using the directions I found online http://frettech.com/kk/. I'm glad that because this is on a newer Taylor, that I won't have to bore out the strap pin in order to install it. Right? Do I just take out everything that Taylor put in and use what came with the pickup?

I've read several reviews that said that the pickup is so good that it may not be necessary to use a preamp. While I can't afford to get one of the K&K pre-amps, I plan on using one of these that I used for recording:

A studio projects VTB1:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...end-mic-preamp

While there is no EQ control, there is volume control, and I'm sure that may boost the signal enough to send to the board.

The soundguy has an active DI which may be enough. We will see.

Another idea that I have is to just bring in my little Mackie board, but I don't want to complicate it too much.

I think that my main concern is that the time that I have to experiment with this is limited before I play live (in front of about 400 of my closest friends).

Any words of wisdom?

Last edited by PorkPieGuy; 06-07-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
...I've read several reviews that said that the pickup is so good that it may not be necessary to use a preamp.
...Any words of wisdom?
Hi PPG...

I find that K&K Pure Western Mini are hot enough (signal levels) to be used without a preamp, but always prefer the tone with an external preamp over the dry signal straight from the guitar.

Plug one of yours in and try it out.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-07-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
While there is no EQ control, there is volume control, and I'm sure that may boost the signal enough to send to the board.
I seriously doubt you'll need to boost the signal, as K&Ks are legendarily robust in this regard. as far as tone controls, why not use an eq stompbox? The Boss GE7 is readily available, used, just about anywhere, and the upgrades that are available really quiet & sweeten them; I have one with the,"Sniper", mods.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Wink what I do..

I've got the small K&K pre amp. Don't like it. To my ear the K&K works best with either a LR Baggs pari di (and some people say they won't work with those...hog wash!!!)...but, I think it sounds better if you just run it thru a 7 band "bass" eq by Boss...that's what I do...just bump the highs and lows, suck out some mid and youre' ready to go...plus it has one slide that is volume!!..and it's cheap...around $105 NEW!!!....
Old 06-08-2012, 07:48 AM

Whether or not you boost the signal from the pickup, you will need a DI to send a balanced signal to the soundboard. Your preamp has a balanced output, so it will function as an active DI. Or you could use the sound guy's active DI. One or the other (but not both) should be just fine to deliver a signal to the sound board. However, I really think you would want some EQ, ideally, a nice preamp with EQ. But your preamp with one of those EQ pedals should work just fine (your preamp has an "insert" for pedals). But, to keep it simple, you could try going from your preamp to the soundboard and let the sound guy set the EQ.
Epiphone Dot
Old 06-08-2012, 08:08 AM

I agree whole heartedly that a DI is essential. The signal from the K&K is supposedly hot enough (I've no direct experience with their products yet) but a good DI (and I do mean a good one) will make a significant improvement to the signal quality. As the pickup in question is passive you need to think active DI, especially if you want to split the signal to mixer and amp/monitor.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 06-08-2012, 10:07 AM

Just got a few e-mails from the sound guy at church. He has an active DI that he's going to let me use.

I can't wait to put in my PU to see how it sounds!
Old 06-08-2012, 12:09 PM

I put in the transducers (from the other guys ...JJB??), and while the signal is sufficient, the sound dry into the board (yes, with a DI) is not what you want, IMHO. For a good acoustic tone, you're far and away better off shaping it with a good preamp like a Baggs PADI (I've since moved to the Venue), or even a passive like a PreSonus EQ3B, which is a superb 3-band sweep EQ with balanced/unbalanced ins/outs. All IMO, mind you, but the these transducers sound passable dry, but can sound very good when shaped.

Edward

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification