The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-04-2012, 02:54 PM

Smile The awesome Trance Amulet Pickup system and installation.

This is my first posting so I wanted to share my first experience with the Trance Amulet SBT Stereo pickup system and the Luthier Denny Rauen that installed the system. First let me say I have used and tried almost every brand of pickup system out there. UST, SBT, Magnetic pickups ect. I had a Fishman Matrix Infinity installed on my Martin D45 and was using the Fishman Spectrum Aura DI which was the best system I had used at the time. I also have a Bourgeois Custom D-150 Brazilian Rosewood and Adirondack Top using the Matrix system as well. Then I bought a custom Huss & Dalton TDR Brazilian Rosewood/ European Bearclaw Alpine Spruce top and needless to say this guitar is the best sounding guitar I have ever owned. Their workmanship is immpecable so I decided to invest the money into the Trance Amulet SBT pickup system. I spoke with the folks at Trance Audio ( I have included their website address for those who may be interested) http://www.tranceaudio.com/trance/products.html
to get more info and a referral to a luthier who had expertise in installing this highend system. They gave me two names but the one I chose to deal with was Rauen Guitars in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Keep in mind I live in Florida so I had to ship my guitar to them, something I really didn't look forward to doing but I wanted the best man for the job. I have included the luthiers website address as well for those who maybe interested.
http://www.rauenguitars.com/index.html
After talking with Denny Rauen I felt confident that he was the man for the job.
In fact he has a page on his website which explains his unique method of installing this system. Keep in mind the installed is very crucial to the end result
and that is why I chose Denny. He has been doing the installs for years and the end results show.
When I got my guitar back I was so please and amazed at the sound that I had to share this with the forum. Denny did an excellent job of installation and he was a very kind and easy going individual to deal with. He is truly one of the exceptional luthiers in the business today. The only problem is now that I have this system in my Huss & Dalton I don't even want to pick up any of my other guitars. I have been playing since I was 10 years old and now I am 55 and I can honestly say this is the only system that truly sounds and responds just like your guitar. I play thru a Bose L1 Model sound system and with the preset I use I have no feedback issuse what so ever. I am truly pleased and amazed with the Huss & Dalton TDR and the Trance Amulet system. Even more I am pleased with Rauen guitars of Wisconsin. As you can tell I believe in giving praise when it is due and I am one who is constanly striving for the best sound I can buy. If you have an exceptional guitar that you truly want to hear thru your system this is the ticket.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:38 PM

Excellent stuff, great to hear some feedback and to hear you're happy with the system. In fact I've never heard of a person with an Amulet installation that wasn't happy!

Looking forward to some feedback from gigs, no pun intended

JP

2005 Lakewood D54 - Sunrise and Dazzos
2004 Taylor Big Baby - K&K Trinity
SR Technology Jam 400 + QSC K10
TC Electronic 2240
Kurzweil Rumour
(Digitech 2120 for electric duties at home)
Old 06-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Ron,
1st, welcome to the forum and for your first very detailed and excellent post. I am always happy when a player finds something that really works for them. Play it in good health.

Steve
Old 06-04-2012, 04:57 PM

Great write up!! What preset are you using on the Bose?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-04-2012, 06:52 PM

Default Response to Kramster

Hi Kramster,

I am using the LR Baggs X-Control preset and the eq is set flat. I went thru every preset before I hit on the perfect setting. This setting is normally for a electric guitar but for some reason this one is awesome. As I stated I had to do no extra eqing the preset is set flat and it sounds awesome. I am also using a Shure KSM mic for my vocals which also helps in controling any feedback. I am amazed how loud I can play within 6 feet of the L1 Model 2 and no feedback.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Ron

Aloha & Welcome to AGF Ron,

Mahalo for the passionate report about your new pickup in the L1 System - nice rig.

Are you mainly a soloist? Play quiet gigs sometimes, Ron?

The reason I ask is that I think that dual-source systems are the only way to go for amplifying an acoustic guitar & controlling your sound in many types of venues for solo gigs. It really helps with the flexibility & also in keeping ear fatigue down, something that all single pickups used alone accentuate through their compressed, mid-rangey tendencies.

Therefore, in this case w/ your fine Trance Amulet contact pickup, try adding a nice external SDC or one of the better dynamic instrument mic's to your Live mix (6-12" off the face angled in @ the 15th-18th fret) when playing in a quieter venue. If you like that sound, you can always add a quality internal mic later to combine w/ your Trance Amulet. I'm sure that dual-source will work for ya, Ron.

I feel that giggers really need a mic in their live mixes for an amplified acoustic guitar to sound more natural & acoustic - used with ANY pickup, ANY brand. It's about the open, airy texture & playing of the natural acoustic guitar sound & what mic's add to your sound. Pickups used alone rob us of some of the qualities of playing & hearing an acoustic guitar. Of course, we now have much better tools available for our live signal chains to control potential feedback in using live mic's.

I have no problem using mic's in my live mixes for every situation I gig in, except with rock or blues bands w/ heavy drums & bass & crowded stages & monitors all around. For that, I add a Duncan A-6 Magmic dynamic on the spot, & combine it with my K&K mini. I turn off my internal AKG 416 hypercardioid mic in those loud situations. It's all about being prepared. Dual+-source systems give you that.

Have fun with your new live sound, Ron. And Welcome to AGF.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 06-05-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:21 AM

So, my question is this. Is this a soundboard transducer similar to K and K or is it similar to the Baggs M80 concept? Or both?
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 06-08-2012, 02:00 PM

Default Trance Amulet Pick up system

The trance amulet is a SBT pickup system like the K&K mini pickup system, where the M-80 is a electro magnetic pickup which mounts under the strings.
Two diffenent approaches to amplifying your quitar.

I have tried the latest and greatest under string pickups like the M80, M1A, Seymour Duncan Mag, Rare Earth along with the K&K mini but the Trance Amulet system was the most natural especially when I use it in the stereo mode, it is awesome. KEEP IN MIND HOW IMPORTANT THE INSTALLATION IS in regards to the final sound output.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Potkul View Post
This is my first posting so I wanted to share my first experience with the Trance Amulet SBT Stereo pickup system and the Luthier Denny Rauen that installed the system.
Hi Ron...

First of all, Hello and Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined and posted a report.

And at that price one should expect to get a top shelf system, and I've heard Trance Amulet Stereo setups sound very good. Glad you find it very useful and to your liking.

Obviously a good match to the guitar, the system and your touch.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification