The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-13-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.Manganese View Post
ù
My Anthem does not like the Boss WL50 or the Line6 2.4ghz transmitter.
I need to use a small cable before the transmitter, otherwise I get a lot of bad noise.
For some users might be important to know that the Anthem can suffer this problem, that in any case does have an easy solution.
A friend is having this issue with the Anthem SL and his Line 6 wireless. Can you tell me exactly what cable get? Is it just a TS male to TS female?
Old 02-13-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
Only the mic signal is cut, the Element works at the lower frequencies.
Yes. What I am saying is a different thing.
Set blend to 100% mic, play the A string (110hz), it should be almost entirely UST sound because of the xover at 250hz.
Now set the blend to 100% UST, it is completely different sound on the A string.
To me, this means the 100% mic blending does not really cut below 250hz.

But I will experiment with a spectre analyzer, assuming the overtones are making the difference. Whatever, this is NOT a crossover filter. It is an equalizer attenuating a frequency band if so.
Old 02-13-2023, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes. What I am saying is a different thing.
Set blend to 100% mic, play the A string (110hz), it should be almost entirely UST sound because of the xover at 250hz.
Now set the blend to 100% UST, it is completely different sound on the A string.
To me, this means the 100% mic blending does not really cut below 250hz.

But I will experiment with a spectre analyzer, assuming the overtones are making the difference. Whatever, this is NOT a crossover filter. It is an equalizer attenuating a frequency band if so.
So, it's a *mic* and it will pick up everything, not just the string fundamental. When you pluck/pick a string on the guitar, it sounds mostly the fundamental, e.g., 110Hz for the A string. But that string generates a series of overtones, starting with the octaves, like 220Hz, 440Hz, et al. in reduced amplitude, and the body will resonate some overtones, and add a few of its own. The mic is capturing all of that, and the UST does too.

As pointed out in an earlier post, that 250Hz number is the start of the cutoff, or what should be called a roll-off. I haven't seen a published number, but if it's low or high, unless it's a "brick-wall," it's always going to have some content, and all of the overtones. I.e., the amplified sound of the lower strings will of course change when the mic blend changes, even though it's capture of the fundamental" makes up a small part of what it contributes to the signal.
Old 02-13-2023, 12:53 PM

Here is an experiment

I used the filter configuration suggested in the Baggs patent with the frequency set to 250 Hz

I made the recording with a ZOOM H4n pro that enables to record with mic and pickup simultaneously.

In this sample you hear the A string
1) Mic close to the bridge
2) Mic close to the string with High pass filter 24dB/octave at 250Hz
3) UST Pickup
2) UST Pickup with Low pass filter 6dB/octave at 250Hz + 12dB/octave at 1KHz

The original recordings (Mic and pickup) are normalized to match in volume prior to filtering.

One can hear that even with the heavy filtering you can hear the open A-string with the mic because as previously mentioned you get to listen the harmonics. Note that the human ear is more sensitive around 1 kHz than at 100 Hz. see link

Here is now the "Anthem" configuration

1) Mic close to the string with High pass filter 24dB/octave at 250Hz
3) Mix of both samples

I think that demonstrates that even playing a note below the crossover the frequency, the microphone still contributes greatly to the tone.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 02-13-2023, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Here is an experiment

I used the filter configuration suggested in the Baggs patent with the frequency set to 250 Hz

I made the recording with a ZOOM H4n pro that enables to record with mic and pickup simultaneously.

1) Mic close to the bridge
2) Mic close to the string with High pass filter 24dB/octave at 250Hz
3) UST Pickup

The original recordings (Mic and pickup) are normalized to match in volume prior to filtering.

One can hear that even with the heavy filtering you can hear the open A-string with the mic because as previously mentioned you get to listen the harmonics. Note that the human ear is more sensitive around 1 kHz than at 100 Hz. see link

Here is now the "Anthem" configuration

1) Mic close to the string with High pass filter 24dB/octave at 250Hz
3) Mix of both samples

I think that demonstrates that even playing a note below the crossover the frequency, the microphone still contributes greatly to the tone.
It was quite enough to just show the spectrum of a string played, where all of the overtones are displayed . Your example is very nice but means nothing for anyone willing to understand how the Anthem is working in the end. Because you have no clue on how the Anthem is either rolling off frequencies, or cutting off, or cross.overing, or who knows.

In fact, you don't have an Anthem to work on.
Old 02-13-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
So, it's a *mic* and it will pick up everything, not just the string fundamental. When you pluck/pick a string on the guitar, it sounds mostly the fundamental, e.g., 110Hz for the A string. But that string generates a series of overtones, starting with the octaves, like 220Hz, 440Hz, et al. in reduced amplitude, and the body will resonate some overtones, and add a few of its own. The mic is capturing all of that, and the UST does too.

As pointed out in an earlier post, that 250Hz number is the start of the cutoff, or what should be called a roll-off. I haven't seen a published number, but if it's low or high, unless it's a "brick-wall," it's always going to have some content, and all of the overtones. I.e., the amplified sound of the lower strings will of course change when the mic blend changes, even though it's capture of the fundamental" makes up a small part of what it contributes to the signal.
Where did you install your Anthem, I mean which guitar?
Old 02-13-2023, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Where did you install your Anthem, I mean which guitar?
It's in a Bourgeois OM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0099.jpg (44.5 KB, 94 views)
Old 02-13-2023, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
It's in a Bourgeois OM.
Very nice instrument! Can you use it with anthem blended full mic?
I am asking because with full mic I get feedback around 150hz and I need to notch it off.
Old 02-14-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Very nice instrument! Can you use it with anthem blended full mic?
I am asking because with full mic I get feedback around 150hz and I need to notch it off.
Joe...did you see my question a few posts back https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...0&postcount=31
about what cable to use with the Anthem SL and Line 6 wireless to get it to work? Thanks
Old 02-14-2023, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Joe...did you see my question a few posts back https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...0&postcount=31
about what cable to use with the Anthem SL and Line 6 wireless to get it to work? Thanks
Jack,
I’m not Joe but Aaron Short introduces an TS to TS adapter that helps. Watch that video from around 5:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3EBv0HdCCA

A simple, short TS male to TS female will work as well.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 02-14-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Ops. Sorry tomorrow morning i take the adaptor and the cable and make a picture also.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pBy...usp=share_link

The steel adaptor is TRS TRS, also the Daddario PW P04 will do.
Maybe a TS can work, but this one for sure does without any problem.
Old 02-15-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pBy...usp=share_link

The steel adaptor is TRS TRS, also the Daddario PW P04 will do.
Maybe a TS can work, but this one for sure does without any problem.
Doesn't it need to be TS for the guitar?
Old 02-15-2023, 10:44 PM

I recently had an SL installed in an older Taylor 712 after the ES 1.1 died. The sound is a big improvement and the only thing I will miss from the full Anthem is the battery level indicator. I adjusted the mic trim pot once and have left it alone. Of course changing the battery will be much more difficult than the ES1. Always trade offs

2004 Taylor 712 Baggs Anthem SL
2019 Taylor 717e Builders Edition ES2
2016 Huss & Dalton TOM-M w/Baggs M-1
2019 Martin Custom Shop OMCE Blaze Burst w/Fishman Matrix Enhance
2019 Martin OM28 Modern Deluxe
Old 02-16-2023, 10:16 AM

https://youtu.be/5m8Jf1OgcUc

The guitar trader here has apparently had great success with the Anthem SL in this unusual guitar which he built with the help of luthier friends. The pickup comments start at the 8 minute mark.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification