The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 10-02-2018, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinetreebob View Post
I am a longtime fan. His songs are brilliant; humorous, poignant, meaningful messages. It amazes me how he gets so much out of such simple chord structures.
John tells a story (his stories are just about better than his songs) about one time when he wrote a new song on the way to the gig. He says he wrote with all these new ''jazz chords''. It was amazing. But when he got on stage ''I just used the same three chords I always use'' Rimshot!

How can you not love the guy?!
Old 10-02-2018, 06:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
John tells a story (his stories are just about better than his songs) about one time when he wrote a new song on the way to the gig. He says he wrote with all these new ''jazz chords''. It was amazing. But when he got on stage ''I just used the same three chords I always use'' Rimshot!

How can you not love the guy?!
Low, agreed. He could easily have been a standup comic if the songwriting thing didn't pan out. I imagine you've heard his tale about Donnie Fritz and the house on the hill in Nashville.

Prine also says, "I learn these chords when I was about twelve years old, and never thought to learn any more. They sound good to me."

Gotta love the guy -- and I do.

scott memmer
Old 10-02-2018, 10:33 PM

Default Prines an undescribable classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
Really. I mean, who else thinks up stuff like "Let's Talk Dirty in Hawaiian" and "In Spite Of Ourselves"
Always found Prine songs or albums kinda like eatin peanuts one was never enough.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

''I imagine you've heard his tale about Donnie Fritz and the house on the hill in Nashville''

Ha! Yes, what I can remember is that the house had doorknobs as big as hubcaps and that Donnie didn't even know what a foyer was and now he had one. Oh yeah, and Donnie apologizing for everything in the house.

Doesn't look funny at all with me writing it about forty years after I heard it. But with John's phrasing, it's hilarious!
Old 10-04-2018, 07:08 AM

I’ve been a huge JP fan since 1972. I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and became aware of him and Goodman through a mutual acquaintance. Goodman And I actually attended the same high school, but he was 4 years ahead of me. JP’s compassion, insight, and wit are beyond any of his contemporaries. I’ve learned to play a number of his tunes over the years, but don’t perform them too much. I feel like there are certain songwriters that own their music and nothing I do can match. How’s that for hero worship and respect? I love his old stuff the most. Souvenirs and Clocks and Spoons, along with Hello in There and Sam Stone. Too good for words!
Old 10-04-2018, 01:53 PM

Saw him in Columbus Friday. He had even more energy and seemed to be having even more fun than when we saw him back in May.

After the show I left the theatre out a side door that opened up into an alley between it and a parking garage. There were two airport-size shuttle busses and an SUV/Minivan in front. John and his wife walked out and got in the van, JP behind the wheel, and drove off. There were three of us standing there watching and waving....
Old 10-11-2018, 04:41 AM
Charter Member

Default ar

Happy Birthday, John Prine!

https://www.jambase.com/article/john...collaborations

I just saw it on my Google News page. I swear, Rock & Roll HoF, Google News, Mr. Prine is really happening these days. At 72 years old, John seems bigger than ever!
Old 10-16-2018, 12:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
''I imagine you've heard his tale about Donnie Fritz and the house on the hill in Nashville''

Ha! Yes, what I can remember is that the house had doorknobs as big as hubcaps and that Donnie didn't even know what a foyer was and now he had one. Oh yeah, and Donnie apologizing for everything in the house.

Doesn't look funny at all with me writing it about forty years after I heard it. But with John's phrasing, it's hilarious!
Yeah. He could easily have made a very good living as a stand-up comedian.

Two of the best lines are near the end of him telling that story when he says, "I like to read the National Enquirer when I'm flying, because it makes me feel a little closer to God." Followed by, "There illustrations of UFOs are pretty much on the money."

sm
Old 10-30-2018, 09:30 AM

I think the kazoos ruin it but a good watch nonetheless

Last edited by steelvibe; 10-30-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Great segment with John on CBS Sunday Morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ORVo6whri4&t=66s

Couldn't get it to load as a hot link so you have to click on the link.

At 72 years old, the guy is selling better than he ever did. I would have ended that sentence with ''in his prime'' but, I guess, this is his prime!
Old 11-26-2018, 02:24 PM

Growing up my dad had some of his CDs, I had forgotten about him until recently. I’m pretty sure he was played on a radio station Sunday mornings in Detroit. I remember my dad telling me he liked storytellers, there aren’t too many around anymore. I’ll need to give a listen to him.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfx11 View Post
Growing up my dad had some of his CDs, I had forgotten about him until recently. I’m pretty sure he was played on a radio station Sunday mornings in Detroit. I remember my dad telling me he liked storytellers, there aren’t too many around anymore. I’ll need to give a listen to him.
You'll instantly fall in love.

sm
Old 11-26-2018, 02:52 PM

My son invited me to NYC to see him at the Beacon Theatre on Monday. I can't wait.

I've seen him twice before in once in 1977 and about 2014.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolleiguy54 View Post
My son invited me to NYC to see him at the Beacon Theatre on Monday. I can't wait.

I've seen him twice before in once in 1977 and about 2014.
Rollie, when you saw him in 1977, did Steve Goodman open for him. Never was there a better double bill than those two guys.

Steve was amazing.

Scott
Old 12-29-2018, 05:19 AM

45 minutes well spent.
John Prine/ House of Strombo

https://youtu.be/w5Rkm_dqm7A
2014 Yamaha LS16
2020 Squier CV 50's Telecaster
2022 Yamaha FG3

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN