The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 11-24-2019, 10:02 AM

Default Kris Kristofferson

Finally got to see him live for the first time last night. He put on a very moving performance and seemed to really be enjoying himself. Was a little disappointed that he didn't talk much, just played through the sets with almost no pauses between songs. Here's a guy worth $160 million playing in Albuquerque for what was obviously just the pure joy of it. Unlike many concerts when he says it starts at 7pm it does on the dot, and when he says one more song he means it.
He closed with "Please Don't Tell Me How The Story Ends". In the context of this point in his life the lyrics took on a whole new meaning and it was very emotional. No encore needed.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:29 PM

Lot of respect for the man.

"Me and Bobby McGee" is one of my favorites.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:14 PM

Kris is a class act. The problem with shows like this is that you can never please everyone. James Taylor has figured out a good balance of chat and play. Some people want all music. Some want a lot of context an intimate stories. Other's want a different balance. You can only do what you, as the artist, think is right for you. I'm positive that's what Kris did. He's actually a very quiet guy. Any chatting is a lot for him.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:17 AM

I understand that he suffers from having had Lyme Disease, its possible that just talking 'off the cuff' comes more difficult to him than performing songs.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-26-2019, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Love him.

My first significant exposure to country music was from roommate who shared my love of jazz. We were in a phase of listening to a lot of horn players--especially Cannonball Adderley, Art Pepper and Miles.

One day said "you have to hear this" and put on an album of Willie Nelson signing Kris Kristofferson songs.

After the initial shock wore off I was floored by the songs and of course Willie's delivery. Been a fan of both Kris and Willie ever since.

What an influence Kris has been on so many songwriters. It was good to see him get some recognition in the recent Ken Burns film on PBS.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN