The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 08-25-2023, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

The tuning my wife has is: Db, A, E, Ab, B, E in capo 3.

It can be played in standard but won't sound the same. I believe in standard it's A, F#m, D, E.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-25-2023, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Just bought tickets to see Mary Chapin Carpenter and Shawn Colvin play together at the fabulous Ruby Diamond Auditorium on the Florida State University campus on Oct. 1 - I'm stoked.

Also seeing Elvis Costello and the imposters there in January.

Collings, Froggy Bottom, Huss & Dalton, Santa Cruz, Taylor and the requisite Martin and Gibson
Old 08-25-2023, 10:53 AM

Been a fan for a while, but I never had the privilege to see her in concert. I never took as much advantage of my university as I should have, so I only went to two concerts in college. Reba and Billy Joel. Both put on fantastic performances, but honestly, Reba did it better.

Post pandemic, the wife and and I have been trying to make an effort to support the arts better. We've been to two events in the past two years, which definitely beats our 1 a decade approach prior to this. Both were small venue and really intimate. It's a bit sad, but it took something like the pandemic to realize just how much going to one of these things enriches your life.

If you ever get the chance, the Hershey Theatre in Hershey PA is one of the best small venues I've been to. The nearby restaurants have good food as well. Hit Hershey park on a summer day with your kids or grandkids, then take them to a great play or concert that evening. It's something you and they will remember for the rest of their lives.
2022 Guild F512E - Maple
Old 08-25-2023, 11:21 AM

My family have been huge fans since 1994, when we got "Come On, Come On." Our kids just got us tickets for the front row of her show at the National in Richmond, VA (GREAT venue, BTW).

It is remarkable how her band has generally remained unchanged, with the exception of John Jennings(RIP), who is missed, even though her new guitarist is GREAT and fits like a glove.
Old 08-25-2023, 01:06 PM

Looks like I'm a day late and maybe more than a dollar short to this thread, but here's my input, anyhow:

MCC's "Never Had It So Good" (her second single to chart) should have gone solid gold, straight to #1. Among the best Country songs I've ever heard. It did climb to #8 US Billboard Country (#6, Canada) in 1989. I was studying the geological and paleontological wonders of the Great Basin wilds of eastern Nevada when "Never Had It So Good" hit the radio (released on September 2, 1989). Couldn't get enough of that song.
Old 08-25-2023, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
The tuning my wife has is: Db, A, E, Ab, B, E in capo 3.

It can be played in standard but won't sound the same. I believe in standard it's A, F#m, D, E.

Thanks to you and your wife for providing the answer, llew. MCC does a good job of using altered tunings to create interesting and musical accompaniments for her solo guitar work when she performs without a band. In her online “One Night Lonely” performance, she played 27 songs using 5 different guitars in a variety of tunings. Though some of her songs sound similar, I was never bored with it which is a testament to her talents as a songwriter, a guitar player, and a musician.
Best,
Jayne
Old 08-25-2023, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Loved her broadcasts from home during the pandemic. Quite a talent to be able to solo in front of a tiny camera in your kitchen and reach out and touch folks! Her Greven sounded fantastic....and I love the story behind how it came to her.
This^^^^!!!
We learned a couple of songs because of this series. "Keeping the Faith" Was one of them.
Old 08-25-2023, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Loved her broadcasts from home during the pandemic. Quite a talent to be able to solo in front of a tiny camera in your kitchen and reach out and touch folks! Her Greven sounded fantastic....and I love the story behind how it came to her.
Yes that was something great to look forward to every week during the worst of the pandemic, complete with the dog’s squeaky toys and the sleepy cat.
I’ve seen her many times, in fact the first time I saw her, in London, she did two shows on the same day so I went twice!

Met her once in Cambridge. Tiny and very friendly lady. Some friends of mine had been in the pub next to the theatre (Corn Exchange) before the show. An American woman came in and started chatting with them. This went on for quite some time until the woman said she had better get moving. Off she went, they went over to the theatre and found their seats. Only when she walked on stage did they realise it was MCC they had been chatting to.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 10-18-2023, 05:51 AM

Default Sometimes Just The Sky tuning

The tuning for this song is definitely (lowest to highest):

C# A E G# B E

and the basic chord fingerings are:

| 1 | 0 | 2 | 1 | 0 | 0| F
| 5 | 4 | 5 | 5 | 0 | 0| Am
|(3)| 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 0| C
| 3 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0| G

You can see in the video that (with the capo on) the low F she starts with is on the first fret of the lowest string, so it has to be C# without the capo. You can hear the open upper B and E strings droning D and G through the whole song, and you can also see clearly the chord shape for the E chord, looks like a G chord without the high G.
Old 10-18-2023, 06:42 AM
Musical minimalist

Since this was brought back up - I saw her and Shawn last week in Ann Arbor.

One of the most entertaining shows I've seen in a long time - musically and comically.

They were a lot of fun!

Old 10-18-2023, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmattheisen View Post
The tuning for this song is definitely (lowest to highest):

C# A E G# B E

and the basic chord fingerings are:

| 1 | 0 | 2 | 1 | 0 | 0| F
| 5 | 4 | 5 | 5 | 0 | 0| Am
|(3)| 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 0| C
| 3 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0| G

You can see in the video that (with the capo on) the low F she starts with is on the first fret of the lowest string, so it has to be C# without the capo. You can hear the open upper B and E strings droning D and G through the whole song, and you can also see clearly the chord shape for the E chord, looks like a G chord without the high G.
Is this the tuning she uses where the base chord is like an Am7? She seems to use that one a lot on the “at home” videos (which I love and binged all 60 in about a week)?
Old 10-18-2023, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Since this was brought back up - I saw her and Shawn last week in Ann Arbor.

One of the most entertaining shows I've seen in a long time - musically and comically.

They were a lot of fun!
Saw the same show in Tally Oct. 1, very nice indeed.

They opened with the Henley/Hornsby song The End Of The Innocence, which was just fabulous.

Collings, Froggy Bottom, Huss & Dalton, Santa Cruz, Taylor and the requisite Martin and Gibson
Old 10-18-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maicobmw View Post
Saw the same show in Tally Oct. 1, very nice indeed.

They opened with the Henley/Hornsby song The End Of The Innocence, which was just fabulous.
That's one of my favorite songs! I would have loved to see them perform that!

Colvin did some great vocals with Bruce on his "Night on the Town" album (check out Lost Soul)

I saw Bruce last November and he did not do "End of the Innocence".
Old 10-18-2023, 11:10 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maicobmw View Post
Yes - same in Ann Arbor.

Old 10-19-2023, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkycat View Post
Is this the tuning she uses where the base chord is like an Am7? She seems to use that one a lot on the “at home” videos (which I love and binged all 60 in about a week)?
Seems like it was designed to give an open E for the top 4 strings, with a G-shaped E chord for the bottom 2 strings

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN