The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Default '07 R. Taylor "Style 1" Bearclaw/Cocobolo NAMM Edition

Hey all, had this up for sale a few days ago but pulled the ad to learn more about it. Since then, I've decided to put it up for trade since the market's all over the place. This guitar's gorgeous and plays effortlessly.

Between calling Taylor and talking to a few people who know these well, here's what I learned. It was built specifically for the NAMM show. Apparently, the armrest bevel was a $1200 option at the time and these were built from Bob Taylor's personal wood stash by the top 5 luthiers at Taylor. It's in near-mint condition with only a few smalls signs of being played. It's never even had a strap button installed!

Top: Bearclaw Sitka Spruce w/ 65' Radius option
Back/Sides: Cocobolo (deep red hues)
Binding/Bevel: Cocobolo w/flamed maple
Fingerboard/Bridge: solid black ebony
Headstock: Cocobolo binding/ebony overlay with Gotoh 510 1:21 tuners
Rosette: Cocobolo/maple/the best looking abalone I've ever seen!
Bracing: Asymmetrical (this was an added option)
Nut Width: 1-3/4"
Scale Length: 25.5"
String spacing: 2-3/16"

As expected out on instrument like this, the tone has the signature Taylor balance, but with much more depth in the low end. It still retains clarity, but has that "piano like" lower register. Combined with the vibration of the guitar against you when playing, it's a wonderful experience.

Only small things I've noticed is a very shallow ding just behind the headstock, a small finish check on the lower bout that's about 1" long, and some superficial marks on the back from being played (which would easily buff out I'm sure). There's also a small and very slight discoloration in the soundhole finish. I didn't notice it until looking closer.

As for trades, here are a few ideas: McIlroys & Lowdens (non-cedar tops), Martins and Gibsons with Adirondack tops, maybe the right J200 sunburst? I'm quite open at the moment, so don't be shy with offers.

Sale/Trade value's +/- TRADED! It's important to note this guitar is in Germany BUT I'm an American with access to USPS on the military base and have done several trades this way. On your end, shipping to an APO military address is no different than shipping stateside - no import taxes, additional fees, etc.

Last edited by Mayfair; 06-22-2020 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Smile RT goodness...

I had a nice talk with the OP. Here is my 2 cents worth, again...

R. Taylor was Bob Taylor's personal guitar playground. And was actually a completely separate company from Taylor Guitars.

It truly was a small shop just outside of a huge factory! I was fortunate to get a couple tours of the R.T. Shop when commissioning a couple of special instruments. Bob had a small team of Taylor's most experienced luthiers, headed by my dear friend Tim Luranc, build about 200 guitars a YEAR for six years for a total of about 1,200. In contrast, The two Taylor factories turn out about 400 guitars per DAY.

R. Taylor was a luthier's dream while it lasted. All the advantages of the world-class Taylor factory, and all the time necessary to build world-class Luthier style guitars. Nice to be able to walk next-door and help yourself to the cream of Bob's super wood stash! Or the most beautiful abalone.... R.Ts luthiers spent three times as much time on each instrument as Taylor does! Time to hand select the wood, tap tune the pieces, shave the braces, etc. The workmanship is flawless.

Unfortunately they turned out to be in unintended competition with the Taylor Custom Shop.
I have it on good authority that if they ever reopen R. Taylor the guitars will be a LOT more expensive!!!

I hope this helps!!!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 06-20-2020, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Paul gave me some great information on these and I realized just how unique and well built they are. I got this one through a series of trades and after playing it more this afternoon, I'm second guessing my decision to let it go. We'll see.

First bump...again, don't be shy with offers, both guitars and cash. I know it's a rough time economically for everyone and I really want this guitar to end up in the hands of someone who will appreciate it.

Also open to a newer D-18, 000-18/28/EC, Gibson SJ/AJs, Bourgeois JOM, and whatever else you may think I'd enjoy.

I hope everyone's doing well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
I had a nice talk with the OP. Here is my 2 cents worth, again...

R. Taylor was Bob Taylor's personal guitar playground. And was actually a completely separate company from Taylor Guitars.

It truly was a small shop just outside of a huge factory! I was fortunate to get a couple tours of the R.T. Shop when commissioning a couple of special instruments. Bob had a small team of Taylor's most experienced luthiers, headed by my dear friend Tim Luranc, build about 200 guitars a YEAR for six years for a total of about 1,200. In contrast, The two Taylor factories turn out about 400 guitars per DAY.

R. Taylor was a luthier's dream while it lasted. All the advantages of the world-class Taylor factory, and all the time necessary to build world-class Luthier style guitars. Nice to be able to walk next-door and help yourself to the cream of Bob's super wood stash! Or the most beautiful abalone.... R.Ts luthiers spent three times as much time on each instrument as Taylor does! Time to hand select the wood, tap tune the pieces, shave the braces, etc. The workmanship is flawless.

Unfortunately they turned out to be in unintended competition with the Taylor Custom Shop.
I have it on good authority that if they ever reopen R. Taylor the guitars will be a LOT more expensive!!!

I hope this helps!!!

Paul

Last edited by Mayfair; 06-21-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Happy Fathers Day! Don't be shy about offers.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Getting some very interesting (and tempting) trade offers and waiting to hear back on some cash deals.

I can't stress enough how special this guitar is. If I didn't have a handful of other incredible guitars, it would be staying. I'm not selling bc I need the cash, but bc I want to see it go to someone who will appreciate it!
Old 06-23-2020, 08:36 AM

Default Electronics?

Any electronics on board. NC perhaps?
Old 06-23-2020, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Labs&2Taylors View Post
Any electronics on board. NC perhaps?
Traded.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars