The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-21-2019, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
The old Audition Barry seems to have isn't really a "DAW". it's a file editor, and as best I recall, had none of this. It was a pure, simple destructive audio file editor where you do everything directly on the single track it supports. Quite useful for what it did. It's probably time to upgrade :-) Even Reaper would be a big step up. I assume Audacity supports sends and busses as well, but I've never used it.
Ah. I stand corrected. I thought he had some version of a DAW, just not a recent version. Yes, any DAW would almost certainly be a big step up.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-21-2019, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

OK, I made a quick and dirty demo, partly because I thought it might help Barry, partly because I realized I'd never tried this in Audition, so it was good to check out the workflow there. This isn't likely to be much help to Barry, unfortunately, but this is what everyone is trying to explain, as applied to solo guitar. Just about any DAW made in the past 10 years or so will do this, it's just a matter of where the various buttons are found. (Note that I now have about 5 minutes worth of experience doing this in Audition, so there may be shortcuts or better ways to do things in it.) But Audition 1.5 was basically the old freeware "Cool Edit", maybe 20 years old now? and was never intended to do this kind of thing.

Anyway, hope this is still useful. I was just on a tech support line with a guy who kept telling me to "push the button on the right" and I saw no button on the right. Very frustrating :-) So hopefully this will clarify what people have been telling you to do, even tho you don't have the tools to do it.

I used my stab at your example, Barry. Doesn't really sound like Stephen, but that's how it goes...

Last edited by Doug Young; 04-21-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
The old Audition Barry seems to have isn't really a "DAW". it's a file editor, and as best I recall, had none of this. It was a pure, simple destructive audio file editor where you do everything directly on the single track it supports. Quite useful for what it did. It's probably time to upgrade :-) Even Reaper would be a big step up. I assume Audacity supports sends and busses as well, but I've never used it.

I was just making a video demo to show Barry how to set this up, but now that I know he's got an ancient version, it's less useful. But I'll post it shortly, in case it clarifies what everyone is talking about. The issue I always see with online demos is that they're too complicated and don't focus on solo guitar like Barry is doing.
It's been a long time since I used Audition 1.5, but my memory says that Audition has always been product that supported two modes. One mode is as you remember, an Edit mode which was more or less a stereo "destructive edit" mode product and the other mode was a non-destructive multitrack editor similar to other DAWs.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-21-2019, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
It's been a long time since I used Audition 1.5, but my memory says that Audition has always been product that supported two modes. One mode is as you remember, an Edit mode which was more or less a stereo "destructive edit" mode product and the other mode was a non-destructive multitrack editor similar to other DAWs.
You could be right, that's not how I remember it, but it's been 15-20 years...

if you're right, Barry should be able to confirm. All the controls will surely be in different places, but the concepts should be the same.

I still use Audition 3.0 under windows because it had some useful features they removed in the next release, but I thought 3.0 was when they introduced all the DAW-like features. Could be mis-remembering.

Last edited by Doug Young; 04-21-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
OK, I made a quick and dirty demo, partly because I thought it might help Barry, partly because I realized I'd never tried this in Audition, so it was good to check out the workflow there. This isn't likely to be much help to Barry, unfortunately, but this is what everyone is trying to explain, as applied to solo guitar. Just about any DAW made in the past 10 years or so will do this, it's just a matter of where the various buttons are found. (Note that I now have about 5 minutes worth of experience doing this in Audition, so there may be shortcuts or better ways to do things in it.) But Audition 1.5 was basically the old freeware "Cool Edit", maybe 20 years old now? and was never intended to do this kind of thing.

Anyway, hope this is still useful. I was just on a tech support line with a guy who kept telling me to "push the button on the right" and I saw no button on the right. Very frustrating :-) So hopefully this will clarify what people have been telling you to do, even tho you don't have the tools to do it.

I used my stab at your example, Barry. Doesn't really sound like Stephen, but that's how it goes...

Wow, thanks Doug. I'll have to see what multi track DAW I can come up with. That was really interesting. I'd be really happy with that recording result! Thanks again!

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Ok this is interesting.

I downloaded the trial version of the newest Audition and followed Doug's tutorial. I have to get the hang of adjusting the send. I have the same tools that Doug used including the reverb files.

Here's my first attempt at multitrack, etc. I'm happier than a pig in mud right now. I can use all my plugins in one daw and not have to jump around. I have too much reverb in this mix but I can just go back in and turn it down without having to do everything else all over again.

Thank you Doug!

My SoundCloud page

Old 04-21-2019, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I'm happier than a pig in mud right now.
Now you know why we some of us were pushing you a bit.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-21-2019, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Sounds good Barry, lots of reverb now! :-)
Old 04-21-2019, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Barry mentioned he uses Audition version 1.5. That's at least 15 years old.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Now you know why we some of us were pushing you a bit.
Yes, thanks. It was certainly one of those "it's for your own good" moments, lol.

My SoundCloud page

Old 04-21-2019, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sounds good Barry, lots of reverb now! :-)

Yes I'm a little twist dial challenged right now.

My SoundCloud page

Old 04-21-2019, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Barry mentioned he uses Audition version 1.5. That's at least 15 years old.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Audition

1.5 released May 2004, so almost exactly 15 years ago. From the wikipedia page, it looks like it did have some form of multi-track support. But the page says Adobe "entered the DAW market" with 2.0, whatever that means.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:59 PM

You're an excellent teacher, Doug Young.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Audition

1.5 released May 2004, so almost exactly 15 years ago. From the wikipedia page, it looks like it did have some form of multi-track support. But the page says Adobe "entered the DAW market" with 2.0, whatever that means.
The 1.5 does have some kind of multi track ability, but when I tried to get it to do what you did in the video, it just wasn't happening at all. I suspect it may have been intended just to add different instrument tracks, but I'm not sure. It felt like I was putting a square peg into a round hole so I said forget it and upgraded to the recent version.

My SoundCloud page

Old 04-22-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:

This is an excellent instructional video. Kudos, Doug Young! I hope Barry doesn't feel "pummelled" by all the posts encouraging this approach but the video above makes it really obvious why this is the way to go.:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD