The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-29-2020, 09:57 PM

Default Roc-N-Soc drum throne / "guitar chair" question...

Hi all,

First, I DO NOT want to open up the large worm can of opinion about the R-N-S drum throne and it's place in the world compared to the Sound Seat!

From what I've read (virtually ALL posts here with the Roc-N-Soc mentioned...) it's NOT a matter of contention that the Sound Seat is superior in just about every way. I get it.

But...

Having that out of the way, I'm putting together a new guitar chair using the Roc-N-Soc seat and the back support attachment that is designed to fit the seat. I am designing a fixed support base to attach it to that will be made from curved and laminated layers of walnut, as I'm not fond of the actual drum throne base.

Since I won't have the metal base I would like to know the measurement between any two of the legs. A center to center distance is fine, I'm most likely to increase that dimension for added stability, but I have not seen that information available as a result of a web search.

I'll do a mock up of a base to evaluate the "ideal" seat height, but I think the general rule is distance from floor to top of the knee when standing. The front leg will incorporate an adjustable foot rest as well.

Anyone with a tape measure handy that can report that leg to leg center distance?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-30-2020, 07:30 AM

From the center of one foot to another on mine measures 20.25".
Old 11-30-2020, 09:31 AM

Perfect. Thanks, Sarge!
Old 11-30-2020, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Curious....did you recently purchase the parts? I put in an order for one from a RNS dealer. I couldn't find one in stock online with the specs I wanted (the lower height, smaller of the two seats). But I'm now told it won't be ready until March sometime. If I could find another source, I'd go for that if it were quicker.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Curious....did you recently purchase the parts? I put in an order for one from a RNS dealer. I couldn't find one in stock online with the specs I wanted (the lower height, smaller of the two seats). But I'm now told it won't be ready until March sometime. If I could find another source, I'd go for that if it were quicker.
I JUST NOW ordered from Musician's Friend because they had both the throne top and seat back in stock and it was 15% off, plus the sales person alerted me that I had an additional $9 in "rewards points" that I could apply to the purchase, so it worked out to be a cheap date!

I'm not sure what they have in stock as far as complete thrones in the various configurations.

According to the Roc-N-Soc website they have 4 seat shape options, small and large "cycle" shapes, as well as round and larger rectangle shapes.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

I was looking for the smaller ("Hugger") seat and the 16"-22" extension, which seems to be an uncommon combination. I'll give MF a try to see if they have separate parts.

Last edited by KevinH; 11-30-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I was looking for the smaller ("Hugger") seat and the 16"-22" extension, which seems to be an uncommon combination. I'll give MF a try to see if they have separate parts.
My guess is if it isn't listed on their website then it won't be available from them. Good luck with your search!
Old 12-01-2020, 02:08 AM
Charter Member

I wonder why a drummer gets a ‘throne’, but a guitarist just has a chair or stool?

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 12-01-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
I wonder why a drummer gets a ‘throne’, but a guitarist just has a chair or stool?
A drummer is a guy who hangs around with musicians, and needs all the appreciation anyone can muster.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 12-01-2020, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
A drummer is a guy who hangs around with musicians, and needs all the appreciation anyone can muster.
LOL!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 12-01-2020, 05:45 PM

What I did was remove my adjustable office chair seat. I cut a rectangular piece of 3/4" plywood to fit the the bottom of Roc-n-soc seat, covering the
screw holes. Then I drilled 4 holes in the plywood to match the Roc-n soc seat screw holes. Then I drilled 4 holes matching the seat mount screw holes of the office chair adjustable pedestal. The plywood serves as an adapter so I could mount the Roc-n-soc seat on the office chair base. I removed the arms of the office chair, and now I have a fully height adjustable office chair with the Roc-n-soc seat. I also made a non adjustable foot rest that attached to the legs of the chair. Works well for home use. Took about 90 min.

Last edited by j.blay; 12-01-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.blay View Post
What I did was remove my adjustable office chair seat. I cut a rectangular piece of 3/4" plywood to fit the the bottom of Roc-n-soc seat, covering the
screw holes. Then I drilled 4 holes in the plywood to match the Roc-n soc seat screw holes. Then I drilled 4 holes matching the seat mount screw holes of the office chair adjustable pedestal. The plywood serves as an adapter so I could mount the Roc-n-soc seat on the office chair base. I removed the arms of the office chair, and now I have a fully height adjustable office chair with the Roc-n-soc seat. I also made a non adjustable foot rest that attached to the legs of the chair. Works well for home use. Took about 90 min.
Thanks for that, J.

I going to do a similar type of conversion, but using my own bent / laminated walnut legs for the conversion rather than using the more typical drum throne hardware. I do a lot of woodworking and instrument construction, so I think it's going to be a successful project.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion