The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-05-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky View Post
The tension determines the pitch, doesn't it, so the tension/pull on all 12-52's is about the same?
The fundamental frequency of vibration ('pitch') depends on the ratio of tension to mass (per unit length), where higher tension and lower mass/length will yield a higher fundamental frequency.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

IMO their tension values listed for these strings are suspect. Calculations indicate an a scale length of 25" but it does vary string to string. On a wound
string of a given gauge a thinner core should increase the string's tension since the winding is heavier (denser) material than the core.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-05-2019, 01:46 PM

I think I have to try these. A few years ago, GHS strings were all I used, but I moved on to DR Sunbeams when (around the same time) I acquired guitars that GHS's offerings didn't work with, and I realized I have a preference for round core strings (a major reason I like their electric strings - strangely GHS electric strings are nearly all round-core, while their acoustic offerings are nearly all hex core). Out of curiosity, I tried the GHS Americana strings recently and have really been enjoying them; if this new offering is anything like Sunbeams, that's quite an interesting prospect for me and my soft spot for the brand.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:36 PM

Interesting... I just had a conversation with GHS this morning about similarities of GHS Phos/Bronze and Gibson Masterbuilt strings. One of the major differences is that Gibson had thinner core and thicker windings. It seems like a similar concept, but GHS told me that they had other specs that were slightly different. I wonder what they are. I believe I have some GHS test samples on the way and wonder if they'll include the new thin core? I'm also told that in the very near future they will be releasing strings with the old Gibson specs with the GHS brand name. Should get even more interesting.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-06-2019, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
I have not tried these yet. I like GHS strings. I think these are round core.
I have used DR Sunbeams and Throbak round core strings. I like them. The Throbaks especially. Warmer, a bit easier to play.

I will have to order some of these.
I tried the Throbaks and used them for a while. For me, the tone seemed to drop off after about a week or so. They kind of went from warm to dead to my ears and I am not one whose crazy about the dead string sound. But for that one week or so, they were great and very easy on the fingers. I found the Newtones to be the best round core for me and I can get them on sale now and again so they work for my budget as well.

Bottom line, there are so many choices and variety when it comes to decent strings that once you experiment with what sounds best with your particular guitars, you're good to go. I guess that is until ear fatigue sets in or arthritis, etc. and then the cycle starts over.

I do appreciate that string companies seem to keep trying to come up with a string that gives good tone for longer. Yes, I know - it is mostly just marketing, but both GHS and D'Addario seem to listen to what players are talking about with respect to what they are seeking from the performance of their strings.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-06-2019, 12:32 PM

just ordered three sets of 11-46 for my Larrivee.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:20 PM

I'd like to try these strings, but the 46 bass gauge on the 11-46 set gives me pause. How does the bass compare to the 11-50 or 11-52 sets out there?

I don't necessarily need excessively thumpy bass, but I can't accept wimpy bass.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:32 AM
Charter Member

This thread got me interested in these. I tried a set of 11-46 on my 24.9" scale parlor. They're the floppiest strings I've ever played on an acoustic. I didn't like them at all. And I'd think about trying a set of lights or maybe mediums, but I also didn't like the sound, at least on that guitar. I tend to like a warm, darker sound, but these strings were so dark I was trying to think of anything to wake 'em up. It's all a matter of personal taste, but these aren't for me. I like the GHS Vintage Bronze pretty well, but these thin cores, not so much...
Old 09-12-2019, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
This thread got me interested in these. I tried a set of 11-46 on my 24.9" scale parlor. They're the floppiest strings I've ever played on an acoustic. I didn't like them at all. And I'd think about trying a set of lights or maybe mediums, but I also didn't like the sound, at least on that guitar. I tend to like a warm, darker sound, but these strings were so dark I was trying to think of anything to wake 'em up. It's all a matter of personal taste, but these aren't for me. I like the GHS Vintage Bronze pretty well, but these thin cores, not so much...
This doesn't surprise me. GHS usually uses a thicker core wire with thinner wraps so if this new string is a thinner core wire, with a thinner wrap it would seem that there would be a point of diminishing returns and maybe sacrificing tone for flexibility rather than a balance of the two. But, if they work for some folks, great. FWIW, I never liked the Marin FlexCores for the same reason - floppy feeling and lackluster tone. There is no end to string options these days though so that is a bonus I guess if you have the time to experiment.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-12-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
This doesn't surprise me. GHS usually uses a thicker core wire with thinner wraps so if this new string is a thinner core wire, with a thinner wrap it would seem that there would be a point of diminishing returns and maybe sacrificing tone for flexibility rather than a balance of the two. But, if they work for some folks, great. FWIW, I never liked the Marin FlexCores for the same reason - floppy feeling and lackluster tone. There is no end to string options these days though so that is a bonus I guess if you have the time to experiment.

Best,
Jayne
For sure part of it is also that this set is actually 11-47, which is practically what I play on my electric guitars. So they may have been light in any sort of string. But the tone was not something that made me want to try them in a heavier version.

I also tried an extra-light set of Monels which are 11-52, so the whole set isn't as light as the GHS, just the treble strings are. This is for my new Alvarez parlor and, not shockingly, after trying several strings, I'm right back to my Monel 12-54, which is one of my two favorite strings on my Emerald also. I'd been going back and forth between Monels and Sunbeams on the Emerald. Now I think I'll stick to Sunbeams on that and use Models on the Alvarez - kind of best of both worlds...

-Ray
Old 09-12-2019, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
For sure part of it is also that this set is actually 11-47, which is practically what I play on my electric guitars. So they may have been light in any sort of string. But the tone was not something that made me want to try them in a heavier version.

I also tried an extra-light set of Monels which are 11-52, so the whole set isn't as light as the GHS, just the treble strings are. This is for my new Alvarez parlor and, not shockingly, after trying several strings, I'm right back to my Monel 12-54, which is one of my two favorite strings on my Emerald also. I'd been going back and forth between Monels and Sunbeams on the Emerald. Now I think I'll stick to Sunbeams on that and use Models on the Alvarez - kind of best of both worlds...

-Ray
I may try the Monels on my Alvarez parlor and see if I like them. So many strings, so little time....

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-12-2019, 02:27 PM

I've just strung up my two Martin dreads with the 12-52 light gauge set of these strings. They are particularly nice on my HD-28. They're a little bright on the D-18, but I think they'll settle soon. They are lively and sound just like PB strings are supposed to.

Previously, both guitars had 12-53 phosphor bronze strings. You'd think there would be little difference in tension, but no... these GHS are notably more supple and they "hang low" for a given action height compared to normal tension strings of the same gauge.

I am very particular about setups and do them myself. I had to very slightly loosen the truss rod on each guitar to compensate for these. So far I am impressed with the improved playability and minimal volume loss. Nice strings!
Old 09-12-2019, 02:42 PM

I put on a set of medium guage thin core GHS on my Halcyon MJ in Lutz/Walnut, and it sounds great. The MJ is very smooth and dark in tone, and the GHS strings are pretty bright--it's a good combination.

The mediums are in the range of most lights (about 166-168), and I tuned down 1/2 step for a fatter tone.

I'm not sure if I prefer these over StraightUpStrings. SUS have about the same tension in the "Heavy" guage as the GHS thin core in "Medium," and they're both pretty bright. The SUS last a long time. If the thin cores last as long, it might be a toss up between the two.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:09 PM

i bought three sets of 11-46. they work for me because they are easy to play ! they don't sound like a set of 12's at all but i need light strings !! Newtones are what I use but these are less $. i'll use em!
Old 10-14-2019, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

I have a guitar that I love, but, it plays a little "stiff"for my taste. I gave these (12-52) on it this weekend, and, frankly, they seem to be even more stiff than the 12-52 D'darios they replaced. While I will give them a week or so to settle, but, so far I am very disappointed in them.

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion