The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-16-2020, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Yes, when I feel the urge. I ALWAYS "tap" on the back beat, though. When I'm sitting with a group of other players I'm the only one who feels the beat on the 2 and 4. It's somewhat embarrassing, but I've been doing it for 50 years and I'm not about to change that any easier than changing my left-handedness.

Luckily, there's no handedness with instruments , so I play "right-handed" just fine.
"Nobody here can dance like me
Everybody's clapping on the one and the three
Am I the last of my kind?
Am I the last of my kind?"

Jason Isbell said that, so you are in good company, Rudy.

I have to make a conscious effort to emphasize the back beat, but it sure improves the groove!
Old 01-17-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Yes, when I feel the urge. I ALWAYS "tap" on the back beat, though. When I'm sitting with a group of other players I'm the only one who feels the beat on the 2 and 4. It's somewhat embarrassing, but I've been doing it for 50 years and I'm not about to change that any easier than changing my left-handedness.

Luckily, there's no handedness with instruments , so I play "right-handed" just fine.
I often tap my right foot on 1,2,3 and 4 and my left on 1 and 3.
I find that I'm more comfortable tapping my foot on 1 and 3,but when I clap or tap my hand, it's on 2 and 4 . . . Strange - I'd never analysed it till now.
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 01-17-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitney View Post
I’ve always tapped my left foot (I’m right handed; do lefties tap their right foot?) while playing guitar, bass, even piano much of the time (though my left hand can substitute if it has a steady pattern). I don’t remember if someone advised me to do this, but it absolutely helps keep a steady beat.
I alternate between feet. I'm right handed but tap either my left foot or my right foot. Sometimes I alternate but try to avoid that as I've seen people play on stage alternating between feet and it looks like a groovin pigeon.

Enjoying the discussion about tapping on 1 and 3 verses 2 and 4. I've always tapped on 1 and 3 but learning some new songs that need tapping on the 2 and 4 back beat.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:14 PM

Default What great lyrics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHJim View Post
The first time I saw John Hartford live was about 45 years ago. He played guitar, banjo and fiddle sitting down, but his feet were going a mile a minute.
After a couple of decades, he started playing standing up with his feet still going a mile a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCVQ3w3sKxA
I watched the video. What got my attention was not the foot taping, but the powerful lyrics (probably because his style of singing is more like a poetry recital). I had forgotten how powerful and smooth poetic lyrics can be. There is so much silly crap out there today.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:19 AM

Yes I am .

I don't tap as much as I used to, but when I find my timing is starting to wander I'll tap my foot to bring it back in. It forces me to focus on it.

My kids are foot tappers also...the trick works for them also.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:35 PM

For us "foot tappers", is it tapping toes or heels (as in ball of foot stays down and you're lifting heel off the floor).

I'm in the heel tapping cult. More bass, that way!
Old 02-11-2020, 01:32 AM

If I am tapping 1 and 3, I tap my toes. If I am tapping 2 ad 4, I tap my heel. I am not sure why but, that's what feels right.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:23 AM

Some sort of internal timekeeping is crucial. I don't really "tap," it's more of a slight "push" of my foot against the bottom of my shoe, but you better believe you'd hear it if I didn't do it!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-11-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Some sort of internal timekeeping is crucial. I don't really "tap," it's more of a slight "push" of my foot against the bottom of my shoe, but you better believe you'd hear it if I didn't do it!
Yes I don't really foot tap but have a strong sense of the rhythm in my mind.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write