The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-12-2020, 02:23 PM

Default Acoustic DI with Acoustic Singer VE-8 or other

Hello - for those of you using the Boss Acoustic Singer VE-8 or other similar pedal (TC Helicon Play Acoustic). Are you happy with using the built in EQ settings or do you also use an acoustic EQ/DI pedal on the way in - and set the VE-8 to flat EQ ? Maybe redundant if the VE 8 setting sound good enough.

Charles
Old 07-12-2020, 06:51 PM

My Play Acoustic seems to color the sound no matter how I use it. With my Taylor, I use a splitter to send one signal direct to my Bose S1 Pro. The other signal goes to the Play Acoustic, but the guitar output is turned to zero. I use it mainly to drive the harmonies.

I do use the guitar part of the Play Acoustic with my other guitars with UST and SBT.

The vocals are great, which is why I continue to use it.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:17 PM

Marty C neat idea about the splitter. I thought about that but haven't tried yet. I still have the TC PA, and recently switched to the VE 8. Certain features I like-the large soft/quiet foot switches, very bright led on each one for a better visual cue of what's engaged.. One drawback is no display screen for settings read out. Guitar and vocal fx, and EQ settings are very good.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:45 AM

Thanks. Good to know about the Effects and EQ in the VE8. I considered it because of the EQ available for both guitar and vocals.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:07 AM

Right - Each - vocal and guitar with separate 3 band EQ, and guitar input sensitivity / noise suppression settings.

charles
Old 07-13-2020, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Back when we used the VE-8 we used the built-in EQ. It's a bit of a PITA to dial in the settings since it was menu driven but once you get it dialed in you don't need to deal with it much unless you're like me and are never really satisfied and are constantly tweaking! And also if you use multiple instruments that need different EQ profiles then you need to do yet more tweaking and saving to stored presets which (again if you're like me) you tend to just keeping adding more and more and forget what was in the earlier settings.

We eventually moved away from the VE-8 because we needed a second vocal input. I went with something with more accessible external EQ and way fewer program saving slots so it would force me to embrace my less-is-more and KISS approach these days. Also, we never used the looper (other than to check sound levels at the venue) and the harmonizer was hit or miss at best. But it's a great little unit, very attractive and built like a tank. I enjoyed it while we had it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification