The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-29-2019, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Default My “Pared Down” stable...I think.

Hello To All,

I’m sure some have read previous posts that I’d been trying to scale back my stable. I’d felt a strong desire to downsize and keep only the gear that I would use on a regular basis. This included pedals, capos, amps, guitars, and other music related gear.

Although difficult at first, I’ve come to a place where I feel very pleased, and strangely satisfied with the end result.

I moved some great gear out. Unfortunately, most of it was collecting dust and deserved far more attention. Amongst those that have left are a killer 87 E Series Japanese Strat, a Players Series black guard Tele, a fantastic Reverend and G&L (both of which are in the classifieds), GS minis of all flavors, Epi Les Paul plus top Iced Tea burst, Epi Les Paul gold-top standard, a 65 Twin Reverb Reissue, an a Egnater Tweaker 15 head with 2 Egnater 1x12 cabs, and quite a few pedals and other gear. I’m sure I’ve left some things out.

But...After the dust has settled I’m down to...

Guitars
1. Yamaha FS720 TBS with a JJB330 (*office guitar for charting/writing/)
2. 2018 Gibson J-45 Standard with K&K (*primary acoustic for duos or live stage use, as well as home/studio use)
3. Gretsch G5620T-CB (*main stage guitar)
4. Gretsch G5622T-CB (*secondary stage guitar)
5. Gretsch G5230-T (*home/studio use)

Amps
1. Fender Blues Jr Tweed/Lacquered (*home/studio use)
2. Vox MV50 Clean (*live board/fly rig)

Boards
1. My live board
2. My home/studio board (*which contains many of the same pedals as my live board for consistency)
3. An acoustic board (*still being assembled, but will be very minimal)

I thought I’d include some pics of the guitars that remain. Unfortunately my silver Gretsch is in my office so I’ve included the Sweetwater pic of it. I don’t seem to have any pics of my faithful old FS 720 TBS.

And, if you’ve considered, or are in the process of doing the same, and you’d be so inclined...please share your journey and some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD4583A1-D748-4FAF-A7C5-5F44E13C3103.jpg (43.0 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg F721940B-D50C-42DB-9FD0-CE4E538B73ED.jpg (31.4 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg A936248D-B965-471B-A6E8-DA8E40300E0C.jpg (31.9 KB, 172 views)
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 08-30-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:58 PM

I see you kept all your Gretsch gear - wise choice...

Only difference is that I would have held onto that Twin - IME if you're playing out regularly, sooner or later you will need increased on-stage volume (especially for outdoor gigs)/more clean headroom/"bigger" tone/broader "spread" (choose one or more); don't use them much these days - my smaller/lighter Bugera V5 and V22 combos see most of the work - but I still keep a '65 Super Reverb RI and 100W Fender Frontman "poor man's blackface Twin" (which I used for a TV appearance in April - needed both the extra girth and clean headroom) on hand for just that reason...
Old 08-30-2019, 12:49 AM
Charter Member

Yeah...I’ve often thought I probably shouldn’t of let that one go. I’ve owned 2 Bugera V-22’s, and a 55. They’re very versatile amps. I’ve not played through a frontman...May have to give those a look someday.

As far as keeping my Gretsch guitars...I certainly seem to play them more than any of the many others that have come and gone over the years. Fantastic build quality, great necks, and of course that “Gretsch Sound”.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 08-30-2019, 07:43 AM

Hey Tony... at the risk of being a grammar jerk, it's "pared down."

Good luck with the reductions.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
Hey Tony... at the risk of being a grammar jerk, it's "pared down."

Good luck with the reductions.
I KNEW I should’ve GONE (THANKS JERRY D) with “scaled back” or “downsized”.

Thx for the correction.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 09-02-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:40 PM

Tony, kudos on paring down your stable. It must have been difficult. Did you use any of the cash to buy anything else or is it savings for a rainy day?
Old 08-30-2019, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Tony, kudos on paring down your stable. It must have been difficult. Did you use any of the cash to buy anything else or is it savings for a rainy day?
Thx Dru! Well, it’s def been a process but I’m very satisfied with where I’m at atm. I’m not saying I wouldn’t add another but, it’d have to be very special, or fill a specific need that I don’t have covered. Such as a 12 String... lol.

I’d made a trade plus cash deal with a local forum member for the J-45 so some funds are diverted to him. I had 2 of my 3 kids (13, 17, 20) need braces and since we don’t use CC’s I’ve also diverted a LOT of “rainy day” cash to that. A.....LOT! I couldn’t believe how expensive that was...esp for 2 at the same time. But that’s handled now.

I also had a fairly expensive home remodel so funds were diverted there also.

So, there will be nothing new for a while. Honestly, I’m okay with that. I seem to enjoy playing/writing more as I don’t feel the need to constantly play one of the case queens, then go through the whole pedal, amp, guitar knob tweaking process dependent upon the guitar being played. I honestly felt like I spent more time fiddling then I did playing for a while.

I realize that may not be as big of an impact if strictly playing acoustics, but I play my electrics more and it was getting tiresome.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 08-30-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
...I’ve not played through a Frontman...May have to give those a look someday...
If you're a fan of blackface Fender clean tone one of these is a must-have - looks like a '65 Twin from the audience (add a set of tilt-back legs for the full effect), can be had for well under $200 if you look around (FYI the surf guys/gals on a budget love them - prices can easily approach or exceed the original $329 street in certain markets for a clean one); FWIW they came in several incarnations - this is the one you want:

Better-sounding/looking than the all-black first editions (some of which had DSP effects - IME avoid these in particular ), makes an excellent pedal platform (you'll probably want a good OD pedal in front - the Drive/More Drive channel is OK in a pinch with the stock speakers, but not this amp's strong point), weighs about 25% less than a Twin, and if you swap in a set of Eminence Cannabis Rex or Swamp Thang speakers and a full-size reverb tank you'll be looking inside for the tubes (BTW takes a lot of the sonic nasties out of the Drive channel as well)...

Quote:
...I’m not saying I wouldn’t add another but it’d have to be very special, or fill a specific need that I don’t have covered. Such as a 12 String...
Not to start the GAS fire again but if you're looking for a good-sounding/playing electric 12-string at a very reasonable price, check out one of these when you're ready:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ent-cherry-red
Old 08-30-2019, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

My wife and my wallet thank you Steve

I showed my wife the pics of the 12 String and said, “look...I don’t have one of these...” all I got was an eye roll.

I’ll have to keep an eye out for both (*esp that 12 string!). They’ll probably be wayyy down on the list...but at least they’ll be on the list.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 08-31-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
...I showed my wife the pics of the 12 String and said, “look...I don’t have one of these...” all I got was an eye roll...
Guess I'm lucky - my wife is our band's rhythm guitarist and a 12-string player by preference, and there's one of these (or its somewhat-pricier Gretsch or Guild counterpart) in the not-too-distant future...
Old 09-01-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Thx Dru! Well, it’s def been a process but I’m very satisfied with where I’m at atm. I’m not saying I wouldn’t add another but, it’d have to be very special, or fill a specific need that I don’t have covered. Such as a 12 String... lol.

I’d made a trade plus cash deal with a local forum member for the J-45 so some funds are diverted to him. I had 2 of my 3 kids (13, 17, 20) need braces and since we don’t use CC’s I’ve also diverted a LOT of “rainy day” cash to that. A.....LOT! I couldn’t believe how expensive that was...esp for 2 at the same time. But that’s handled now.

I also had a fairly expensive home remodel so funds were diverted there also.

So, there will be nothing new for a while. Honestly, I’m okay with that. I seem to enjoy playing/writing more as I don’t feel the need to constantly play one of the case queens, then go through the whole pedal, amp, guitar knob tweaking process dependent upon the guitar being played. I honestly felt like I spent more time fiddling then I did playing for a while.

I realize that may not be as big of an impact if strictly playing acoustics, but I play my electrics more and it was getting tiresome.
That's money put to good use! And you still have some great guitars too.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Thank you, Sir. I appreciate the kind words. I am enjoying this “season”. You have some great gear also. That’s always the difficulty isn’t it...knowing there’s so much good gear out there, but to be content with what we have. As gpa used to say, “there’s no trailer hitch on a hearse”...
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 09-01-2019, 08:24 PM

Time for me to pare down as well.

Three Gibsons, four Fenders, two PRS, one Brondel, one Electra Hagstrom, one NIOMA Lap steel, two Tweed Deluxe, one Deluxe Reverb, one PRS H series, one Tech21 Classic 65, one Hughes and Kettner Blues Master, six speaker cabinets,

And more pedals than I can remember.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I KNEW I should’ve went with “scaled back” or “downsized”.

Thx for the correction.
Hey Tony... at the risk of being a grammar jerk, it's "should've gone with."
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 09-02-2019, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Hey Tony... at the risk of being a grammar jerk, it's "should've gone with."
You’re not “at risk of being” a grammar jerk.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 09-04-2019 at 09:16 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars