The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-14-2024, 11:54 AM

Default Best Size Finger Plane For Brace Carving?

Looking to purchase an Ibex finger plane but not sure what size is best for shaving braces. Seems the sizes range from 8mm to 19mm, round bottom and flat, with prices increasing as size increases. Really not sure what size is best for brace carving, mainly carving the sides not the tops of the braces.

Thank You
Old 01-14-2024, 12:34 PM

8mm seems pretty small to me. Flat bottom for carving sides but a round bottom is real nice for brace ends. Get two if you can.
Old 01-14-2024, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
8mm seems pretty small to me. Flat bottom for carving sides but a round bottom is real nice for brace ends. Get two if you can.
Do you use/have one? Size?
Old 01-14-2024, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHawes View Post
Do you use/have one? Size?
Not Ibex but these are about 45mm long.

Old 01-14-2024, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

I use a round 30mm Ibex (10mm blade) for shaping the sides of my braces and chisels for the scalloping and tips. I glue my braces extra tall
to allow for go-bar dents and use a block plane to take them down to the height of the tallest peak, then work down from there.
I also have a round 90mm Ibex (27.5mm blade) but I only use it for archtop carving.
Old 01-15-2024, 08:19 AM

I have one Asian made finger plane curved bottom about 18mm wide that I find very versatile. I supplement it with chisels or a block plane. Mine was about $14 but I see sets very reasonable on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/TUOREN-Gold-P...CDNTXFMJ&psc=1
Old 01-15-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Wilson View Post
I use a round 30mm Ibex (10mm blade) for shaping the sides of my braces and chisels for the scalloping and tips. I glue my braces extra tall
to allow for go-bar dents and use a block plane to take them down to the height of the tallest peak, then work down from there.
I also have a round 90mm Ibex (27.5mm blade) but I only use it for archtop carving.
Thanks, I found an Ibex round 12mm blade online and will give a try.
Old 01-15-2024, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
I have one Asian made finger plane curved bottom about 18mm wide that I find very versatile. I supplement it with chisels or a block plane. Mine was about $14 but I see sets very reasonable on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/TUOREN-Gold-P...CDNTXFMJ&psc=1
Thank You, I bought that set and even though some reviewers got decent results I simply could not get them work. May say more about the user than the tool but I found them to be pretty much useless.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair