The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2023, 12:30 PM

As I won't have it in my hands for a couple weeks, I cannot say how good they are, but I just picked up a Faith FRESB45 for half your budget shipped. Mahogany B/S, but red cedar top. 12 fret with a 24.8" scale. People really seem to like Faith guitars.

I do not have the Eastman E2OM that people are mentioning, but I do have an Eastman E2D 9dreadnought of the same materials). It's a great guitar.

I really like my Furch. My guitar doesn't meet your criteria, but I can see they make quality instruments. Same for Yairi. Taylors are very consistent.

With all that said, if you can find a Bedell for $2K, snatch it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarfish View Post
For another way-under-your-budget option, Seagull is now doing a “heritage” version of their famous S6 cedar-topped sloped shoulder dread, with a short scale. They list the nut spec as 1.8”, but the Seagull’s with 1.8” nuts have a 1.5” string spacing at the nut, which is the same spacing used by most manufacturers for 1.75” nuts.

https://seagullguitars.com/product/s6-collection-1982/
Cherry B/S? I don't have a cherry guitar. Are you trying to make me buy another guitar? I already bought two today.
Old 09-26-2023, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Pono guitars are good, and Breedlove has a way with cedar.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-26-2023, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

new or used ???

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 09-26-2023, 07:06 PM

+1 for Seagull cedar topped, mahog. Should have never let mine get away. It had a short scale but the neck was a full, sorta C shape. Sounded great.
Old 09-27-2023, 03:27 AM
Charter Member

In my opinion, Eastman’s E2OM-cd and E2D are great guitars, and not just for the price. The OM is standout; I loved it. I gave it to a friend’s son who feels the same.

By the way, another sleeper is the all solid wood Canadian-made Art and Lutherie Legacy Havana Brown. I have this bad boy too (on load to my partner as a stage back up while I’m out of commission). It has no right to sound as good as it does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1755.jpg (58.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2185.jpg (43.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 09-27-2023 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarfish View Post
For another way-under-your-budget option, Seagull is now doing a “heritage” version of their famous S6 cedar-topped sloped shoulder dread, with a short scale. They list the nut spec as 1.8”, but the Seagull’s with 1.8” nuts have a 1.5” string spacing at the nut, which is the same spacing used by most manufacturers for 1.75” nuts.

https://seagullguitars.com/product/s6-collection-1982/
Hi BlueStarfish
I owned one, and had many students with the original S6. It doesn't have the typical dark Cedar 'sound' because it's not built with Western Red Cedar.

I've never been able to find the answer what type of Cedar they use. All they claim is it's 'pressure tested Cedar'. There are many types of Cedar, but the sound most of us who loved the darker mellower tone have tops built of Western Red Cedar.

My suggestion is to try some others, and see if there is a Seagull dealer near you to compare and see if it's the tone you are looking for.

My S6 (which I owned for several years) was nearly indistinguishable from any of the Spruce tops I own.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
cedar, short scale