The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-02-2012, 01:45 PM

Default Acoustic Tap Drills?

I still cannot get any decent volume doing acoustic tapping. I am making good progress with hammer off scales and percussion and hammer on chords.

I can tap harmonics. I can easily tap on the acoustic and a clean sound comes out, but....

its sooo soft that it doesnt project.

Any tips? Just amplify it or am I doing something wrong. I try to start well above the string then hammer down on it. Its very quiet, am I accidentally muting it or something?

If anyone can help please chime in. thx in advance
Old 07-02-2012, 07:00 PM

I'm no expert, but first, a check. What guitar, what strings, how old are the strings? What's the action like--and have you had it set up professionally?

Have you checked out Vicky Genfan's lesson excerpts on youtube? She has made more sense to me than others trying to teach it. Do you have a youtube acct. or another way to put up a close-up of your fingers on the fretboard? Someone may be able to see how you can improve.

And I'll wait for those more skilled than I to give you more advice. For me, the release is as important as the tap--gotta get off the string quickly, but I don't know if that's a rule for everyone or just works for me.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:49 PM

Thanks, yeh Vicky's lessons are great. I am using her vids at the moment.

Your point is well taken, will work on a faster release from the string.

Thanks for responding.

Oh in answr to your question, yes been set up, Elixir lights, Eastman 0M20

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write