The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I'm not sure that I've spent $100 on guitar picks in my whole life...
Got it.

My dealer opened my eyes (a bit) when he says...

“You’ve spent thousands on guitars searching for optimum tone but you won’t spend 1% more to improve it?”
Old 06-16-2019, 12:27 PM

Yup the tone improvement with good picks is incredible.

Electrics:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
MJT Tele
Ibanez AS93
Old 06-16-2019, 02:26 PM

I legitimately cannot remember what kind of picks I used before I got casein John Pearse fast turtle a couple of years ago. The difference was so profound that I completely forgot whatever it was that I used before.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:44 PM

I'm not a fan of either of those picks but if they work for you I have no problem spending that much on picks. Considering many of us have guitars that range in value from $1,000 to $5,000 (and even greater) $100 is a very small percentage if it improves your tone. Why cheap out on anything if it helps?
Old 06-16-2019, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I'm not sure that I've spent $100 on guitar picks in my whole life...
Me neither! I've been using the same Fender 358 heavy jazz picks for, at least, 20 years. Same with my Fred Kelly thumb picks - I've had them forever and see no need to change. But.....whatever floats your boat
Old 06-16-2019, 08:52 PM

US$100 would buy me close to 200 of my favorite picks.

I don't need that many.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-17-2019, 01:35 AM

Serial pick dropper here , settled on Guitar Moose Classic 80s , sorta a hardened nylon and is very mellow , and never ever drop one . Been thru 100s non Boutique , and am very happy with these .
Old 06-17-2019, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Got it.

My dealer opened my eyes (a bit) when he says...

“You’ve spent thousands on guitars searching for optimum tone but you won’t spend 1% more to improve it?”
Just to slightly pick up on this, I’m in what seems to be a small minority here who has bought lots of expensive picks (BC, CL, Wegen, EML....) only to conclude that I prefer the cheap ones. I’m just challenging the assumption that spending more *will* get you better tone. Just like string choice, there is more subjectivity than objectivity in it.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:13 AM
Charter Member

I have three BC picks... they sound great on some guitars, but not on others. On my 000-28 I like the sound of a plain plastic Gibson Heavy. On my Country Western I like the same cheap plastic heavy, or the Dunlop prime tones, which are 3 for $5.

By the way I bought a Casein Clayton protein pick... a heavy... and loved it. $7 bucks too. I lost it... I think I’ll order another.

I will likely sell the Blue Chips. I will try a Charmed Life at some point.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:22 AM

Sit down with different material picks of the same thickness that are easily obtained at GC or Sam Ash, celluloid, tortex, Ultex, primetone (ultex but different) and nylon. Spend an hour on the couch switching back and forth. It’s impossible not to hear very discernible differences. As much as different strings to my ears. Whether or not you want to spend more for casein or Vespel will be up to you. But I can say that my purchase of casein picks (Fast Turtle and Charmed Life) was well worth my money. None of the store bought picks sounded or felt like casein.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:10 AM

Looking at my pick container one day, I realized I could have almost purchased an entry level guitar for all the picks I've purchased. No regrets though because it allowed to dial in on the thickness and size of pick I like to use. The Blue Chip STP 60 is my current favorite. Even with those purchases, there are more picks out there that I want to try.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
Just to slightly pick up on this, I’m in what seems to be a small minority here who has bought lots of expensive picks (BC, CL, Wegen, EML....) only to conclude that I prefer the cheap ones. I’m just challenging the assumption that spending more *will* get you better tone. Just like string choice, there is more subjectivity than objectivity in it.
$100 on picks is certainly a "first world" issue and the alleged improvement in tone would be nice but sometimes you just have to draw the line somewhere based upon the degree of perceived improvement and your household budget. The $800 it took for me to buy a beat up $2200 Taylor 5 years ago is 1/8 of the $100 of the pick purchase discussed here and was a really hard decision. Still, I'd rather make my music now than have to save up for a pricey pick that is just as easily lost as the cheaper ones I get. My most expensive pick purchase was the 6 for $12 Taylor Ultex Pros they just released and I ended up splitting the cost of those with a friend. I just can't see spending that kind of money on a pick or two (especially when that's several weeks of food money) but then again, I guess if I was rolling in it then maybe. Nah, not really. That's just my 2 cents - probably all it's worth and I simply don't have more to spare.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
Agree that picks make a big difference. There’s a pick for whatever sound you want with a decent guitar.

Want a darker sound, a thicker pick that is a bit soft will get you as dark as you want. Want bright, thinner pick and try different materials. And there’s a bunch in between.

Alter where you pick/strum the strings — toward neck, over sound hole, toward bridge — for more control over tone.

It’s just hard breaking old habits, but doesn’t take long.
100%. Also, the firmness of your grip on the pick alters the tone.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 06-17-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
$100 on picks is certainly a "first world" issue and the alleged improvement in tone would be nice but sometimes you just have to draw the line somewhere based upon the degree of perceived improvement and your household budget. The $800 it took for me to buy a beat up $2200 Taylor 5 years ago is 1/8 of the $100 of the pick purchase discussed here and was a really hard decision. Still, I'd rather make my music now than have to save up for a pricey pick that is just as easily lost as the cheaper ones I get. My most expensive pick purchase was the 6 for $12 Taylor Ultex Pros they just released and I ended up splitting the cost of those with a friend. I just can't see spending that kind of money on a pick or two (especially when that's several weeks of food money) but then again, I guess if I was rolling in it then maybe. Nah, not really. That's just my 2 cents - probably all it's worth and I simply don't have more to spare.
I don't mean to pick on ya....no pun intended given the subject matter....

Do you guys keep a log of what you paid for everything? I've known a ton of guitarists and they're constantly telling me what they paid for an X guitar 5-20 years ago. I bought a Taylor or two about 5 years ago and I don't remember what I paid.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Do you guys keep a log of what you paid for everything?
Just the itemized spreadsheet I use for my taxes.

I can pretty much remember what I paid for things though. At least most of the time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion