The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-14-2019, 12:20 PM

Default Help me decide:Bourgeois Custom D CountryB vs Huss & Dalton Custom Crossroads D

Can someone one compare them or at least tell me the characteristics of each?
Old 06-15-2019, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Don't know the specific models but I do have guitars from both builders and they're among my favorites. I think you'd likely be very pleased with either one. Faced with this choice, I'd probably rely as much on how they feel in the hand as anything else, as I think either will be a superb sounding guitar built to a very high standard. But I might like the neck on one better than the other, for example. As it happens, both my Bourgeois (Banjo Killer slope dread) and my two H&Ds (Crossroads and 00) have very nice necks. I don't play square-shoulder dreads anymore; they're just too unwieldy for me.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:43 AM

As I do not have any dreads I cannot comment on specific models in your question.

I have played many guitars in the tier of Bourgeois and H&D, including Collings, Santa Cruz, Froggy and others. Within this range the craftsmanship and materials are virtually the same, which is excellent. Not a bad choice in the bunch.

Given equality in build quality, you are down to tonewood choices, neck shape, etc. as differentiators. For me it always comes down to the tone and playability for my style.

I have two H&D's for those reasons.

Enjoy the search.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:15 PM

I can only speak for Bourgeois guitars. My "Banjo Killer" Slope D custom is the best sounding guitar I've ever played. I'm still blown away by it every time I play it. I played several of Dana's dreads a few years ago and they were phenomenal and started my love of his guitars!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 06-16-2019, 02:45 PM

I'm surprised that nobody has owned or played both. Oh well. Would have loved to know how people judged the differences.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:39 PM

I’ve played examples of all of them but it would be an accident or miracle I’d those sounded like the ones you’re looking at.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion