The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-27-2019, 11:55 AM

Default resonator cone life

Hi,

From what I understand, resonator cones don't live eternally but need replacement after a certain amount of time (I suppose they develop metal fatigue or something similar).

What to expect in terms of the average interval, and the speed at which the become unplayable when it's their time (graceful degradation vs. sudden death)?
Would it be wise to have at least 1 original cone in stock (if you don't own a resonator made by or compatible with one of the big brands)?

Thanks!

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 05-27-2019, 12:50 PM

Changed mine after 40 years.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Jerry Douglas changes his once a year.

HE
Old 05-27-2019, 04:57 PM

Beard suggests you to do it once a year.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Really?

I've had, I think, three dobros. The last one was given to me by a dying friend.

It was a Gibson made one, but still with the Dobro logo, a 1999 vintage, so it was built with the intonation 1/4 " out, and the cone sounded awful.

After he passed - I had it rebuilt with a Beard cone and a correcting Spider made by Beard to correct the Gibson errors.

I've only ever had two Nationals and never had issues with the cones but my current one has had a neck reset and a new biscuit/saddle (which I'd had in my parts box for ages).
Old 05-28-2019, 12:27 PM

From Jason at National

For Tricone and single biscuit-type cones, they need not be changed until damaged by impact or ? I think there are plenty of folks who agree that changing a spider-type cone every couple of years is a good idea but we haven’t heard of any issues with our Scheerhorn cones.

Kind regards,

Jason
Old 05-28-2019, 12:55 PM

Thanks, that's reassuring. Not that the Amplisonic cones for my Gretsch are expensive; I'm more concerned with them being modified or no longer being available without notification. I'll probably end up ordering a spare for the just-in-case but with that I should be fine until my own expiration date or until I get fed up with the instrument

I'm guessing that being under the lower tension of nylon strings won't hurt cone life either.

So what's different with spider bridge cones that they have such a shorter lifespan?

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Old 05-30-2019, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

I'd never heard that about the spider bridge/cone but I'm pretty new & just a hobby player. I picked up a Weber resonator about 2 1/2 years ago & so far to my ear it just sounds better & better. Found out from Bruce Weber that it has a Replogle cone & spider so I sent him an email & this is his reply.

"Yes, the Weber reso has the Replogle cone and spider- tho' they did modify the saddle on the spider to make it adjustable (which is a great feature, by-the-way).

As for cone lifespan, without being damaged by shock (aka being dropped) or over stress (uneven string tension, or the tension screw being over-adjusted) the cones can last for decades.

Having said that, the real test is the sound, If the cone ever starts to loose its tone and projection, then you should inspect it for damage (dents, collapsed edges, etc) and if there are any sign of damage then a replacement would be in order. But basically, as long as you are loving the tone, it's good!

I'm glad you are loving the Reso, I'll let Bruce know

best,
Mike R."
Old 05-30-2019, 12:40 PM

You have to remember that a lot of people who recommend changing cones regularly are people who make cones, and people who think the brand new tone is the best tone. And for them, they may be right. I have a 1935 Dobro spider cone instrument with the original cone, and it sounds quite awesome. Rich and loud.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THart View Post
uneven string tension
One thing to remember that's probably fairly obvious: don't remove all strings and then put them back on (and to tune) working from left to right. Best is to work from the centre or from both sides and bring the strings to final tension only when they're all on. Or just change strings one by one.
I did make certain my luthier was on the same page in this regard when I took in the instrument for a new nut.

An original 1935 Dobro, wow!

I think I saw adjustable saddles for sale when I was searching for a replacement saddle. IIRC they only exist for spider bridge resos.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:09 PM

Took me 80 years on my Duolian. Had a heck of a time getting one to fit. I haven't liked the new one nearly so well.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:41 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Hi,

From what I understand, resonator cones don't live eternally but need replacement after a certain amount of time (I suppose they develop metal fatigue or something similar).

What to expect in terms of the average interval, and the speed at which the become unplayable when it's their time (graceful degradation vs. sudden death)?
Would it be wise to have at least 1 original cone in stock (if you don't own a resonator made by or compatible with one of the big brands)?

Thanks!
If you have a guitar that sounds good to you just play it.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:38 PM

I have a 1930's Regal resonator mandolin. Original cone. I did have to modify the spider to get proper intonation. I've always heard you should never mess with a vintage cone - today's aluminum is different, etc. This reso mando has by far the clearest, sweetest tone of any resonator instrument I've heard or played. Like a bell. I'm looking for a reso guitar with the same tone quality. Haven't found it yet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments